Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived around 1030 this morning; PC was about half-full with unremarkable Mid- and Full-Size sedans and a Ford F-150 Crew Cab pickup. I wanted a car with a liftgate so looked at the sole Kia Sorrento in the area but it was a base model with no Sirius/XM. I chose one of the three minivans; one was a Chrysler Pacifica Limited and the other two were Dodge Grand Caravan GTs. The Dodges looked a little shorter than the Pacifica so I took the Grand Caravan with the lower mileage; it's a 2019 model with 3,500 miles on the odometer, PA plates, and working Sirius/XM and Nav.

The 5* area had a Toyota Sequoia and Sienna minivan and a few other sedans.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:12 pm

Christmas Eve at noon the lot was pretty much empty. I saw a few cars go out and nothing getting put back.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday) around 0945. PC section had a Chrysler 300, GMC Yukon XL, Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Infiniti QX30 2.0t, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Corolla, a pair of Dodge Challenger R/T, and a few Chevy Malibu. There were also a pair of Buick Encores and I took the one with the lowest mileage. It's a Q4 2019 AWD in Essence (top) trim with NY plates and 2,500 miles on the odometer with working Sirius/XM.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 4, 2019 at 5:03 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Saturday) at the tail end of a slushy snowstorm; around 1100 am. I found about three or four Chevy Malibu LT and a single Cruze. There were also three Dodge Challengers (both GT and R/T trim, a Charger SXT, a 4-door Jeep Wrangler, a Jaguar XE, and the cream of the crop, a K 2018 Volvo S90 T6 Inscription AWD Sedan with Massachusetts plates and 1,015 miles on the odometer. It pretty much was fully loaded, including a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, and a killer Bowers & Wilkins premium audio system. It was the perfect car to drive on the messy roads and perhaps the best Ultimate Choice car I've rented to date.
jason8612 and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday). Ultimate Series had a Cadillac Escalade and an Infiniti QX60. Next in a Premium Upgrade stall was a BMW 5-series sedan, but I didn't bother checking to see if it was another Ultimate Series or truly a $25/day upgrade.

PC section was half-full with a GMC Yukon XL, Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Dodge Challenger Hemi, Toyota Camry SE, Impala V6 LT, Ford Taurus Limited, Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, Chrysler 300S, Jaguar XE, and two Toyota RAV4s (one LE, one XLE). I went for the RAV4 XLE; it only had 275 miles on the odometer, but no Sirius/XM. I then toyed around with getting the Challenger (400 miles) and turned it on to listen to the engine but knew my wife would kill me (plus, no Sirius/XM either), so I settled for a 2019 Q4 Chevrolet Exquinox LT AWD. It had 4,700 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Saturday) around 1030. PC section was about 1/3 full and it was Cadillac Day. I saw three XTS sedans and a a single Escalade. There were also two Impalas (one LT and one V-6 LT), a Ram 1500 pickup, an Infiniti QX80, and a Ford Fusion SEL. I chose an L 2019 Chevy Equinox LT AWD with 1100 miles, Pennsylvania plates, and working Sirius/XM.

The 5* section was empty; I saw a couple exiting (I assume happily) in an Infiniti Q50 from a 5* stall. Next to it was a GMC Acadia SUV.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 15, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Arrived this morning (Sunday) around 0945. The Ultimate Series stalls had a Jaguar F-PACE SUV and a Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sedan. The Premium Upgrades were a Jaguar XF and a Cadillac XT5. In the PC section was a GMC Yukon XK, Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Dodge Charger GT, Dodge Durango GT, Ford Explorer XLT, Chevy Impala V6, Cadillac CTS 2.0, Cadillac XTS (covered in seagull poop), Infiniti QX60, and a few other sedans of lesser note. I took an L 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road 4WD with 300 miles on the odometer, NY plates, and working Sirius/XM.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Arrived on a Sunday at 1030. PC section was stocked mainly with Japanese and Korean sedans. Non-sedan options included a 4-door Jeep Wrangler and a really nice Chevy Equinox AWD 2.0T Premium that I seriously considered taking. Instead, I took one of the two Subaru Outbacks; I chose the one with the higher trim, it was an F6 2019 Outback AWD 2.5 Limited with 1,700 miles, NJ plates, and was pretty much loaded with all of the options. It was a really nice car to run errands on a sloppy, rainy day.

I did note a few small SUV parked in the 5* section as I drove out.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 6, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old May 9, 2019, 3:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Any recent reports from Friday evening? I have a good record at JFK as a PC and this is the first time I'm renting at LGA. A small SUV would be optimal
Old May 11, 2019, 10:09 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
PC Area was depressing. Intermediate and full size sedans, no SUVs with the exception of a GMC that was parked but no one seemed to know where the keys were. Ended up with a Kia Optima with 500 miles. Five Star and Gold were even more depressing.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
PC Area was depressing. Intermediate and full size sedans, no SUVs with the exception of a GMC that was parked but no one seemed to know where the keys were. Ended up with a Kia Optima with 500 miles. Five Star and Gold were even more depressing.
My experience at LGA has been that they take away the large Suv's and even minivans before holidays and weekends since people will specifically reserve anything with 3 rows. Come back Sunday afternoon and you will most likely see a better selection.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday, the middle day of the three-day weekend) around 5:30 p.m. and the PC lot was empty except for a Toyota RAV4 AWD XLE, a Cadillac XT5 that someone else was claiming, and a RAM 1500 crew cab. I took an L 2019 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Premium 2.0T with NY plates, 675 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM.

I saw two sedans in the 5* section; that was it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 27, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday) around 0900. The entire lot was pretty empty; PC had a Dodge Charger GT, Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Chevy Malibu LT, Kia Forte, Chevy Impala Limited, Kia Soul, and a Jaguar XF. Another PC member riding on the M60 with me sprinted off and took the Jag, which was fine by me. I took the remaining car, which was an F6 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited with 2,700 miles on the odometer, TN plates, and working Sirius/XM and Navigation. I noted a Toyota Camry and a few other average sedans in 5*.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Saturday) around 1000. 5* and Gold spaces were completely empty and in the PC section was a single 2019 Chevy Silverado LO Double Cab. I saw a few PC members wandering aimlessly in the lot while I elected to go inside to the counter and was assigned Prestige car from the paid upgrade section; it was a K 2018 Volvo S90 T5 Momentum AWD with 9,600 miles, navigation, and working Sirius/XM. Another elite member was given the Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium and I saw one of the PC members getting an Infiniti QX60 that came right out of the wash.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:37 pm

Much different experience today. I arrived at 5pm and there again were no cars but I was told all they could offer me was an intermediate. Ended up waiting over an hour between waiting at the gold counter and then bringing me out a car. The staff was so overwhelmed and just nasty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.