Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Rented a car tonight (Monday of MLK Weekend). I arrived around 7 pm and found a good selection. The star was an Infiniti QX70 but I decided to take something smaller. Other cars were two Ford Fusions, two Sonatas, a handful of Altimas, a Toyota Avalon and also a Corolla, a Kia Optima and a Sorrento, and a Ford Expedition. I took a B4 2017 Nissan Rouge S with working Sirius/XM. It has Georgia plates and 16,500 miles on the odometer.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Arrived around 7 pm on Sunday night. PC area had the normal Asian sedans. A lone Ford F150 crew cab pickup was also there along with a Nissan Armada SUV. There was also a Chevy Equinox SUV that someone was driving out. I found two Nissan Rogues parked next to each other; I took the one that was badged as an SV AWD. It was a 2018 Q4 with 1,300 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Arrived on Saturday of the Passover/Western Easter weekend around 1030 and found the lot pretty well-stocked overall.

In the PC area, other than the normal Altima and Camry sedans, I noted a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Ford Explorer, a few Nissan Rogues, two Nissan Pathfinders, a Nissan Frontier 4X4 pickup. a Chrysler 300, and an Infiniti Q50 3.0t. I was tempted to take the latter, but wanted a small SUV, so I took a B6 2018 Buick Encore (Essence Trip) with North Carolina plates and 6,500 miles on the odometer.

Premium Upgrades were a Dodge Challenger and Infiniti Q60. The Ultimate Choice options were a Range Rover Discovery and Range Rover Evoque.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Arrived on Saturday of the Passover/Western Easter weekend around 1030 and found the lot pretty well-stocked overall.

In the PC area, other than the normal Altima and Camry sedans, I noted a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Ford Explorer, a few Nissan Rogues, two Nissan Pathfinders, a Nissan Frontier 4X4 pickup. a Chrysler 300, and an Infiniti Q50 3.0t. I was tempted to take the latter, but wanted a small SUV, so I took a B6 2018 Buick Encore (Essence Trip) with North Carolina plates and 6,500 miles on the odometer.

Premium Upgrades were a Dodge Challenger and Infiniti Q60. The Ultimate Choice options were a Range Rover Discovery and Range Rover Evoque.
I showed up a few hours later. The Challenger and two Range Rovers were still there as was the Explorer. The pickup was gone as was the Infiniti Q50 (I certainly would have taken that). I settled for the Chrysler 300C which was pretty nice. Hope you enjoyed the Encore. I've rented one of those in the past and found it to be excellent.
FlyinHawaiian and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great great selection today at 2:30. the upgrade Challenger was a Hemi

I saw a challenger, rogue, optima, Jetta, compass, journeycorla, Cherokee, caravan Elantra in Gild as well.
AutoSlash and cestmoi123 like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 12, 2018 at 8:03 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:34 am

It looks like Hertz just bought a lot of new stuff, judging by the unusually large number of cars with NY plates. Those seem relatively rare, given the huge number of one-ways Hertz usually does into the metro area.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Yes, I commented to the attendant regarding the influx of nicer cars and he informed me that they have been getting new vehicles in.

Better day today at drop off.

While waiting for the bus I saw Gold had had a Ram 1500, Nissan mini van, souls, cherokees, Electra’s, corollas, optimal...

Presidents Circle was a winner again...too bad I didn’t need another car, would love to take the HEMI Challenger.

Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

I arrived this afternoon a little after 12:30. The middle section of the PC row has been cleaned out. In the first row, I found a Ford Expedition, Chrysler 300C, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota RAV4 XLE, GMC Yukon XL, and a Cadillac CTS which I was very tempted to take. I ended up taking the Jeep Compass in your photo above in Space 103. It's a Q4 2018 Compass Lattitude AWD with 9 miles on the odometer. I ran some errands in Queens and Brooklyn today and have more planned for tomorrow so it was nice to have a smaller car to wedge into spaces.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:36 am

Last evening (Thursday) around 9:30 pm had a great selection and variety again.

Five star Altima, corollas, Sentra, Soul, escape, impala x 2, rogue, terrain slt, optima

P.C.
Many q50s
Evoque
Lacrosse
300s with 3 miles on odometer
Explorer x2
Yukon Xl
Altimas
Compass x2 trail hawk
Qx30
Pathfinder
Pacifica limited
Avalon
Legacy
Sorrento
Fusion hybrid

Premium upgrade
300s with 3 miles
XF

Ultimate upgrade
Escalade
Range Rover sport

Side upgrades had Range Rover discovery HSE and compass limited and c300 and California plated Hemi Challenger.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I arrived this afternoon a little after 12:30. The middle section of the PC row has been cleaned out. In the first row, I found a Ford Expedition, Chrysler 300C, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota RAV4 XLE, GMC Yukon XL, and a Cadillac CTS which I was very tempted to take. I ended up taking the Jeep Compass in your photo above in Space 103. It's a Q4 2018 Compass Lattitude AWD with 9 miles on the odometer. I ran some errands in Queens and Brooklyn today and have more planned for tomorrow so it was nice to have a smaller car to wedge into spaces.
Should have taken the Yukon XL, it would have been perfect for that! You could also have done some Uber Black work on the side...
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:55 am

I went to LGA for the first time in a while and the agent behind the gold counter had from what I've come to understand was a lot of incorrect information. I was assigned the SUV I booked but asked if I can take a car from UC instead and was told no I had to take my assigned car. I also asked what the minimum class was to take a car from UC and was told standard. I actually asked if he was sure and he confirmed.

Going forward I'm just going to book intermediate cars and go from there. Will update on my next rental.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:18 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by vandals04
I went to LGA for the first time in a while and the agent behind the gold counter had from what I've come to understand was a lot of incorrect information. I was assigned the SUV I booked but asked if I can take a car from UC instead and was told no I had to take my assigned car. I also asked what the minimum class was to take a car from UC and was told standard. I actually asked if he was sure and he confirmed.

Going forward I'm just going to book intermediate cars and go from there. Will update on my next rental.
The agent was misinformed. You could have picked anything from the UC section that corresponds to your status level (Gold, Five Star, President's Circle) as long as you did not book an Economy (ECAR), Compact (CCAR) or Managers Special (EXAR). If you had done this and driven straight to the exit gate, there should have been no questions asked. If you don't actually need the SUV, then you are generally better off just taking your chances by booking an Intermediate and rolling the dice.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Sadly, mis-informed staff is the norm at LGA. As stated above, you could have picked from the Ultimate Choice section.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:19 am

Returning at 8am and here is what was in PC and upgrade
Old May 3, 2018, 7:11 pm

Good selection tonight (Thursday) around 8pm.
5-star had good selections too. I saw a QX30, multiple Impala Premier, Altimas, 4-door wrangler, midsize SUVs and also the usual suspects.Was going to take the 2-door wrangler with 2,000 miles, but could not pass up the 2017 5.0 with 20,000 miles. The California plated Hemi Charger was pretty worn and had 24,000 miles

Last edited by 91StealthES; May 7, 2018 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.