Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: Hertz, National
Friday morning at LGA

Friday morning 9/11 11am
Lots of cars in the "Return" area, very few available for pickup.

PC Lot:
Jeep Wrangler
Nissan Rogue
Buick Encore
Chevy Malibu
Nissan Altima

5-star/gold:
Dodge Charger
Kia Optima
Nissan Sentra
Chevy Malibu
Chevy Cruze
Toyota Corolla
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived this (Friday) morning around 0930. In PC, two Chrysler 300s and one Chevy Impala for sedans and a Nissan Rogue SV, Kia Sorrento S, and a Hyundai Tuscon with a huge dent in the roof for SUV. I took the last SUV, a Q4 2020 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD with NY plates and 7,500 miles on the odometer. I was happy to have a smaller car this evening as I was able to squeeze into a tight space in front of our building.

The upgrade section had an Infiniti Q60, a BMW 7-series, and a BMW 5-series.

Over in the 5* section I noted a few other small SUV including a GMC Terrain. I noted a few Jeep Compasses in the Gold Section. I've not seen a minivan in the lot since COVID.
jizen likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 25, 2020 at 5:44 pm
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I've not seen a minivan in the lot since COVID.
I know in some parts of the country, minivans are being rented by the package delivery companies. I've been told that FedEx has quit purchasing new delivery trucks for the foreseeable future, so they are renting every van they can get their hands on.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday of the Columbus Day Weekend) around 0900. The first row of the PC aisle was surprisingly full. I recall seeing a Chrysler 300s, Chevy Impala Premier, Chevy Camaro hardtop (not an SS), Ford Mustang Convertible (not a GT), two Nissan Rogue 2WD SVs, a Nissan Rogue Sport 2WD SV, and a Buick Encore 2WD LT. I selected an L 2020 Nissan Murano AWD SV with NJ plates and 15,750 miles on the odometer and disabled Sirius/XM. Over in 5* I noted a few small SUV and a Chrysler Pacifica; that was about it.
jizen likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 19, 2020 at 12:30 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Wednesday) around 0930. PC Aisle closest to the building was full; I noted two Nissan Altimas, two Nissan Rogue SV, two Nissan Murano SV, a Nissan Rogue Sport, a Chevy Malibu LT, a Dodge Journey, two Jeep Gladiators, and a Jeep Wrangler 4-Door. I selected a K6 2020 GMC Arcadia SLT 2WD with 12,000 miles on the odometer, Florida plates, and working Sirius/XM.

Update - I ended up putting a little over 850 miles on the car and found it to be a very competent drive. The turbo I-4 had enough power and returned about 28 mpg on mostly highway use.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 26, 2020 at 8:27 am
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:46 pm

FL plated cars tend to be large, cheap base models, with high mileage. The local market has price-sensitive families who rack up a lot of miles between FL attractions. The mileage is compounded when the car goes on the FL driveout. I personally try to avoid choosing such cars for these reasons.

I'm also curious if you were concerned about visiting places where the FL plates might attract unwelcome scrutiny, namely questions if you quarantined or threats. People using rented or borrowed cars with out of state plates have reported harassment in some parts of New England.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

I think both of the Muranos were FL-plated and I was very tempted to take the one that had only 3,600 miles on it but wanted to try something different. I have taken multi-day trips throughout the Tri-State (I am in Corning, NY tonight) and have not encountered any issues when driving a rental with out of state plates. It is something I’ve been conscious of, though.

I won’t take cars in PC if they have base or lower trim and/or mileage over 20K.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (the Wednesday before the US Thanksgiving Holiday) around 0945; I wanted to get there relatively early as I assumed the inventory was going to be sparse. PC had a total of five vehicles in it; two Chrysler 300s, a Dodge Charger R/T, and a Kia Sorrento V6. I took the last car, which was a B4 2020 Mazda CX-5 Touring; it has FL plates and 6,800 miles on the odometer. Although there's a Sirius/XM sticker on the windshield, I am not seeing in the menu.

I don't recall seeing much in 5*; perhaps a Dodge Journey and a Toyota Highlander. In regular Gold were a few 4-door Jeep Wranglers and a Chevy Colorado Crewcab pickup.
Ordpc likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 25, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Arrived today (Saturday of a holiday weekend) around 1130. PC had a total of four vehicles; a Chrysler 300s, a 4 Door Jeep Wrangler, a base Nissan Rogue, and an F4 2020 Chevy Blazer with Florida plates, 26,000 miles and working Sirius/XM. I took the Blazer; it's unbadged for the trim (might be a Fleet version) but it has most of the 3LT features.

Over in 5*, I noted a Buick Encore, Chevy Equinox LT AWD, and a Chevy Malibu.
Ordpc and FordFiesta like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:13 am

I arrived Friday morning 1/22. PC had:

Impala premier

Malibu LT

Chrysler 300s

Unabadged Jeep

Altima

Cadillac CTS

Ford Fusion

5* was nothing to write home about. Altima’s, Corollas and a Ford Edge.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:29 am

Monday 1/25 around 8:15a.m.

PC:
Yukon
Jeep gladiator rubicon x2
Impala premier
Chrysler 300s
Ford eco sport titanium
Unbadged Wrangler

5*:
Malibu LT
Wrangler unlimited sport
Chrysler 300
Jeep gladiator
Impala premier
Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Sunday) around 0915. The first row of PC was full; I recall seeing two Nissan Rogues, a Rogue Sport, a Kicks, an Amrmada, a GMC Terrain SLT, Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT, Mazda CX-30, and a Kia Optima. I was torn between a Ford Edge SEL and a Mazda CX-5 and took the latter, which worked out well for me. It's a Q4 2021 AWD in the Touring trim with PA plates and only 5,100 miles on the odometer. Quite a bit of fun to drive around the highways (zoom, zoom)!

Over in 5*, I noted a Chevy Equinox, some additional Rogues, and a Grand Caravan.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Friday, February 26th, 2021 around 14:00...

ultimate Series:
X1 28i
530i

premium upgrade:
QX60

upgrade slots:
xt5 400
qx60
xt5 400
qx 60
530i
qx60
xt5 400
xt5 400
x1 38i

presidents Circle:
Malibu LT
300S
Malibu LT
Rogue Sport

five Star:
optima FE
optima FE
corolla LE
sentra

gold:
nothing
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 1:20 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Friday, February 26th, 2021 around 14:00...

ultimate Series:
X1 28i
530i

premium upgrade:
QX60

upgrade slots:
xt5 400
qx60
xt5 400
qx 60
530i
qx60
xt5 400
xt5 400
x1 38i

presidents Circle:
Malibu LT
300S
Malibu LT
Rogue Sport

five Star:
optima FE
optima FE
corolla LE
sentra

gold:
nothing
They have the categories mixed up, everything should move up a category 😏
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today (Monday) around 1030. PC section had two Chevy Silverado LT Crew Cabs, a Chevy Impala, Chysler300s, a Nissan Rogue Sport, a Nissan Rogue, and a pair of BMW530i. I hopped into one; it was a 2019 model with 35,000 miles on the odometer. When I took off my mask, I found out that the interior smelled like an ashcan so bailed on it. Given the time to think about the wisdom of street parking a BMW in Manhattan, I decided to take the Rogue; it's a Q4 2020 SV AWD with Pennsylvania plates, 18,000 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM.

5* was mostly an assortment of small SUV.

Amusingly, I spotted a bright red Mitsubishi Outlander in one of the PC spots and peeked inside, only to note that the keys had a Budget Rent a Car fob and there was a Budget folio on the passenger seat. I asked the lot attendant what the deal was and was told a frazzled Budget renter was running late and couldn't find their lot so they dumped it with Hertz and took their shuttle to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.