Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Exchange Car Assigned by HLE at Ultimate Choice Airport Location?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchange Car Assigned by HLE at Ultimate Choice Airport Location?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did the location give you a rebate down to level 1 below what was provided?

Once you took the car , then you accepted it, so would not expect another location to replace it
No rebate. It was a prepaid rental so I really don't think I could have cancelled it even if I wanted to - or at least I would not get a refund - I basically had to accept this car.

Just curious has anyone has some experience, ideally changing at LAX. I used to rent from HLEs in Canada quite a lot and there was only one time when they could not find an upgrade and in that case they suggested I go to the airport to change to an upgraded car there. No idea if it works the same in the US though.

Last edited by Enigma368; May 14, 2019 at 7:36 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 7:44 pm

Your better course of action might be to run it through a car wash and ask Herz to knock it off the final bill. Otherwise, your question has been pretty well answered upthread. Unless there's a mechanical issue with the car, you may get some pushback trying to swap at an airport.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Your better course of action might be to run it through a car wash and ask Herz to knock it off the final bill. Otherwise, your question has been pretty well answered upthread. Unless there's a mechanical issue with the car, you may get some pushback trying to swap at an airport.
I doubt I would ever see that money from Hertz. TBH I was more wondering if not getting the guaranteed PC upgrade would be grounds to switch at the airport. Whether anyone had tried based on that reason.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Enigma368
No rebate. It was a prepaid rental so I really don't think I could have cancelled it even if I wanted to - or at least I would not get a refund - I basically had to accept this car.

Just curious has anyone has some experience, ideally changing at LAX. I used to rent from HLEs in Canada quite a lot and there was only one time when they could not find an upgrade and in that case they suggested I go to the airport to change to an upgraded car there. No idea if it works the same in the US though.
If the company was unable to honour the contract, you were entitled to a refund if you cancelled
Old May 15, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
I doubt I would ever see that money from Hertz. TBH I was more wondering if not getting the guaranteed PC upgrade would be grounds to switch at the airport. Whether anyone had tried based on that reason.
LAX will flat out ignore you, they will probably give you another car if they feel like it but it’s guaranteed to be worst than the one you have.

I’ve had instance where my car broke down and was towed into LAX at late night but they refused to give me an exchange because manager told me “people always bring ...... hle cars to exchange for their nice cars” I called roadside and they could do nothing about it, all they could do was to get me a lyft home and found me a vehicle of the same class at another hle the next day and lyft me to the location again.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by LJ7006

LAX will flat out ignore you, they will probably give you another car if they feel like it but it’s guaranteed to be worst than the one you have.

I’ve had instance where my car broke down and was towed into LAX at late night but they refused to give me an exchange because manager told me “people always bring ...... hle cars to exchange for their nice cars” I called roadside and they could do nothing about it, all they could do was to get me a lyft home and found me a vehicle of the same class at another hle the next day and lyft me to the location again.

I went to LAX earlier and changed the car. As you say, they did indeed give me probably one of the worst cars on the lot; a 2017 Camry with 39k miles! They flat out said that Ultimate Choice or even choosing from the Full Size section was not an option for HLE exchanges. That said I got the upgrade to a full size and it is spotlessly clean so it is still considerably better than the HLE vehicle I exchanged. My partner agreed with me that the HLE car almost definitely had not been cleaned since the last customer. It really was gross inside and outside and I'm mostly just happy to have a car that is clean.

I will not be renting from LA Union Station HLE again. Even though Union Station is walking distance to my apartment, I will likely just pay extra and shlep out to LAX or Burbank airport n future for ultimate choice. That said, if anyone knows of a good HLE in LA with decent cars for PC, do let me know!

Last edited by Enigma368; May 15, 2019 at 1:22 am
Old May 15, 2019, 2:53 am

Does anyone know if I can go to the airport to change a HLE car because they were not able to honor the PC upgrade, as well as serious cleanliness issues. I booked a midsize and have been given a midsize car with 34k miles that is neither clean on the outside or the inside(candies and nut shells down the side of the seat, car is filthy on the outside). I suspect the car was not cleaned at all since the last customer.

I pushed for the guaranteed upgrade but was basically told they had nothing else. Anyone have any experience?
Take pictures of the interior dirtiness and send to Hertz corporate after your rental. You can also try bringing it back to the same HLE the next day and asking for an exchange.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by m907
Take pictures of the interior dirtiness and send to Hertz corporate after your rental. You can also try bringing it back to the same HLE the next day and asking for an exchange.
Have already given it back now unfortunately.

Last edited by Enigma368; May 15, 2019 at 4:21 am
Old May 16, 2019, 5:03 am

Have already given it back now unfortunately.
Send a complaint to corporate anyway.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

PHX won't let you pick a car either.
i booked an AZ drive out rate from an HLE (Scottsdale Motor Mile), and they had terrible selection, with no full size offered. They have me a Mazda CX-5 that was the base trim and quite beat up, 28k miles on the clock. Sure sounds like an upgrade but much worse gas performance than a full size and simply not what I needed for a 14-day road trip.
After asking REALLY nicely, PHX agreed to give me a full size, 2019 Camry LE (base trim). Much better mpg and only 4k miles so I'm actually happy with the exchange.
PC looked pretty good, with a Camaro, Mustang convertible, Jaguar XE, and a full lot in general. Lots of SUVs too.
edit: any experiences with LAS? The Camry is showing "need maintenance soon" after startup, and I've still got 1000+ miles to drive.
​​​​
Old May 20, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Twice, recently, I've made swaps.
1) Picked up at HLE. Didn't like the car. Returned to airport as I needed to go there anyway to pick somebody up. Walked to the Gold booth. Agent said that if I wanted to rent at the airport I should have reserved at the airport and that they can't simply swap HLE vehicles. Once he learned that I'd already returned the car (and it had already been shuttled elsewhere) he relented and gave me a new car. It was the same category as what I'd been given and I had no UC despite the request -- though it was a Maxima and had working Sirius so I benefitted. He told me that he would have been able to call for my original car and have me wait for it so to not try this again.

2) Picked up at the airport. Drove the XTS for the weekend. Realized I needed a larger vehicle. Returned to airport. Had zero issues getting a Minivan instead.

Moral of the story -- while its not IMPOSSIBLE to swap a HLE car, it is against policy, so YMMV.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by noah
He told me that he would have been able to call for my original car and have me wait for it so to not try this again.
Wow, he sure put you in your place...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I reserved a full size at a HLE location, and all they had for me was a midsize. I drove to a nearby airport and was able to exchange it for whatever I wanted to choose from the Presidents' Circle area.
Auto Enthusiast and klanfa like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Swapping out cars at airports

I'm a President's Circle Member and renting from a couple neighbor locations because the prices tend to be cheaper than the airport locations. If I somehow get into an awful car or one that isn't mechanically sound, can I drive it over to an airport location and swap it out and keep the same rate plan?

Anyone done this before? Airports generally have better car selections.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 22, 2019 at 9:53 am Reason: moved into existing thread on this topic
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:25 pm

I've never tried it with Hertz but it seems to be YMMV based on others' reports here. National is pretty lenient about exchanging but I've seen a lot of people who say Hertz gave them trouble.

If it's a corporate HLE, you can try it but don't expect much. If it's a franchise HLE, forget it, because they own their cars and would have to go get it back from the airport.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the state of the car at the HLE, especially if it's in a major metropolitan area because many of their cars are coming from airport locations anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.