Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is Hertz policy if I am delayed collecting my reservation by 24 hours?

Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:30 pm
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I have reached out to Hertz via Twitter and email and Rentalcars.com who I booked through have contacted the Hertz office in ANC and left a message as has my brother who lives in ANC,
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by McG

I have reached out to Hertz via Twitter and email and Rentalcars.com who I booked through have contacted the Hertz office in ANC and left a message as has my brother who lives in ANC,
I've never been able to find a written, published policy, but the general consensus is no issues at all if you pick up same calendar day, and there are rumors that they may even hold reservations for 24 hours, but again, nothing is official.

If you can get a same/similar rate by rebooking through Hertz's central reservations center, that's the best thing to do. Otherwise, calling the location is likely the best option.

I used to have the Hertz back office phone number for the ANC desk but can't find it now. If you've actually left a voice mail on their local phone, though, you're probably getting through to the same number I have. Hopefully someone will answer.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hertz President's Circle, Uber Platinum
I have no idea what their policy is but I can tell you an incident that happened to me. I was flying to Baton Rouge, there was bad weather, we got diverted and we landed really late. I got to the counter a bit after midnight (I think it was just past closing time and it was a holiday). They had already cancelled my reservation, and told me I couldn't have my original rate because it was after midnight. The agent at the counter told me that I'd have to do a new reservation as a walk-up at the counter. It was too late and I was too tired to argue, so I did it and paid a higher rate. I was quite annoyed about it though and I should have complained.

I suspect the agent was trying to finish up for the night and didn't want to be bothered.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you no show as you have agreed, your contract --- and that is what it is -- is subject to cancellation. There is no policy for this, that is the nature of contracts.

Whether the specific locality chooses to honor the reservation as booked is really its own decision. Needless to say, at busy locations during high season, there may not be a vehicle to be had.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:06 pm
McG
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Regards,

Mark
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Often1
Needless to say, at busy locations during high season, there may not be a vehicle to be had.
Good point. This is ANC, and it is summer.

Presuming the OP is either picking up very soon (perhaps he is experiencing a flight delay?) or within the next three months, this is absolute high season in ANC, and cars can be in short supply.

If you are not able to rebook at a decent rate and are not able to get in touch with the location, I would suggest having your brother stop by the Hertz location and speak to them directly about your delayed arrival.

In an absolute pinch, call the National Car Rental counter at ANC, which is next to the Hertz counter, and see if they'd be willing to hand the phone over to a Hertz representative. Unorthodox, but desperate times do call for desperate measures, I suppose.

I can keep looking for the direct back-office number for Hertz ANC if it helps. I know I have a copy of most of the direct lines for everyone at the airport somewhere.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:41 am
McG
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice.

I did get my brother to stop by Hertz and I also spoke with Rentalcars.com who I booked the car through.

It turned out that as I had prepaid for the car when I made the booking (I'm UK based), that by prepaying the car was in effect held for 24hours - this wasn't stated anywhere on the paperwork, but was what the Rentalcars.com Rep told me over the phone.

Had no issues at Hertz when I went and collected the car last night.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I thought this was a new category of cars like the Prestige Collection and Adrenaline Collection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.