No "skip the counter" at TLV?

Old Jun 9, 16, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Hertz TLV "customer service" experience

I have booked a car rental from Hertz in TLV, I used them in the past and have almost no complaints.
When booking this time (I use hertz.com/hertz.nl) I noticed that the voucher I got was missing the "Loss Damage Waiver" that is normally there, so I wanted to figure out whether the rate I booked included all mandatory insurance for the rental so that I will not be surprised when arriving, if it does not include all mandatory insurance I could then figure out what the cost is and consider renting from other agencies.

So I called the number on the voucher, and opted to talk to customer service, the conversation went as follows:
- Hello, this is Ditto speaking, I have made a reservation with you and wanted to ask some questions
* What is the reservation number?
- G12345678
* I'm sorry sir, I can't find this reservation
- I made the reservation online via hertz.com
* OK I can see it now
- Good, I wanted to ask if it includes all mandatory insurance
* Let me check ... I'm sorry sir I cannot see that, you have to call hertz.com
- But I'm renting from you
* But we are not hertz, we are a contractor, you have to check with hertz.com
- Yes, but I will be renting from your branch in TLV airport
* Ahh, you will be renting the car in Israel? OK let me check again...
30 seconds later... I'm sorry sir I can't see those details, you need to call hertz.com
- So if you can't see those details how can your agent at the TLV desk see them?
* I'm sorry sir, you have to call hertz.com

So I googled to see the direct number of the TLV branch, it was the same one I had, so I called again and this time listened through the menu and asked to be connected to the branch.
- Hello, this is Ditto speaking, I have made a reservation with you and wanted to ask some questions
- G12345678
* Yes I can see your reservation, what would you like to know?
- Does it include all mandatory insurance?
* Yes, it covers the basic insurance, the excess is... if you want to remove the excess you need to pay ....
@:-)
Old Jun 10, 16, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
I have booked a car rental from Hertz in TLV, I used them in the past and have almost no complaints.
When booking this time (I use hertz.com/hertz.nl) I noticed that the voucher I got was missing the "Loss Damage Waiver" that is normally there, so I wanted to figure out whether the rate I booked included all mandatory insurance for the rental so that I will not be surprised when arriving, if it does not include all mandatory insurance I could then figure out what the cost is and consider renting from other agencies.

So I called the number on the voucher, and opted to talk to customer service, the conversation went as follows:
- G12345678
* I'm sorry sir, I can't find this reservation
- I made the reservation online via hertz.com
* OK I can see it now
- Good, I wanted to ask if it includes all mandatory insurance
* Let me check ... I'm sorry sir I cannot see that, you have to call hertz.com
- But I'm renting from you
* But we are not hertz, we are a contractor, you have to check with hertz.com
- Yes, but I will be renting from your branch in TLV airport
* Ahh, you will be renting the car in Israel? OK let me check again...
30 seconds later... I'm sorry sir I can't see those details, you need to call hertz.com
- So if you can't see those details how can your agent at the TLV desk see them?
* I'm sorry sir, you have to call hertz.com

So I googled to see the direct number of the TLV branch, it was the same one I had, so I called again and this time listened through the menu and asked to be connected to the branch.
- G12345678
* Yes I can see your reservation, what would you like to know?
- Does it include all mandatory insurance?
* Yes, it covers the basic insurance, the excess is... if you want to remove the excess you need to pay ....
@:-)
Wait, you get a voucher when booking on hertz.com? I've never gotten one of those...
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 16, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Wait, you get a voucher when booking on hertz.com? I've never gotten one of those...
I got an e-mail confirmation with all the details, conditions etc. I guess it's not a voucher per-se...
Old Jun 5, 17, 8:33 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
No "skip the counter" at TLV?

That's what I understand. Is the service at the gold counter as bad and slow as I imagine it would be? (As in the gold makes NO difference and you still wait there ridiculous amounts of time that makes government offices look efficient in comparison?)

thanks
Old Jun 5, 17, 9:02 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Yep, pretty much. You have to understand that Hertz in Israel is a franchise, so they dance to their own drum. Additionally, unless you have all of your i's dotted and t's crossed in terms of an actual letter from your credit card company stating that you are covered in IL, you are almost certainly gonna be hit up for CDW and/or SLI/LIS.

Even with a letter of CDW coverage you may have to pay SLI/LIS. YMMV but just a heads up. That's just the way it works there, and lest you think it's better with Avis or National, my experience is that it's not.
Old Jun 5, 17, 11:47 am

Thanks. I've rented in Israel before (and lived there quite some time), and I always take the cdw because my particular credit card doesn't offer coverage there, so that's all good.

I I have good rates through my current job with hertz, and was hoping to capitalize on those, but it sounds like the hassle isn't worth it. I'll go wih Avis as usual for th in-terminal pick up and drop off I guess. I frickin HATE renting at TLV. It is downright ABSURD how long it takes them to move through customers at check in. I'd rather spend the day at misrad ha panim and admire their speed and efficiency in comparison. LOL

Last time I took a cab to my end destination and got my rental from a local rental office away from the airport. May do that again.

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 17, 11:57 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

When you say "in terminal pickup and drop off" do you stop at the Avis desk in the terminal and then head to the booth in the garage or do you just proceed directly to the garage? I've only rented from Hertz, Sixt, National in TLV, so wasn't sure of the experience as an Avis Preferred member.
Old Jun 5, 17, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
(As in the gold makes NO difference and you still wait there ridiculous amounts of time that makes government offices look efficient in comparison?)
By the time I got my bag and got to the Hertz line, it was long--like a good 10-15 people in front of me. I waited in the line about 10 minutes (without it moving one inch) before getting the attention of someone at the counter and asking about Gold rentals. They waved me then to the front of the line and I was out in a few minutes.

The signage isn't clear, but if you're Gold, I think you can sort of skip the line--you just have to be a little pushy about it.

And yes, definitely bring documentation of your credit card CDW. They did ask.
Old Jun 5, 17, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
When you say "in terminal pickup and drop off" do you stop at the Avis desk in the terminal and then head to the booth in the garage or do you just proceed directly to the garage? I've only rented from Hertz, Sixt, National in TLV, so wasn't sure of the experience as an Avis Preferred member.
I'm not Avis preferred, so maybe. I don't know for sure.

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
By the time I got my bag and got to the Hertz line, it was long--like a good 10-15 people in front of me. I waited in the line about 10 minutes (without it moving one inch) before getting the attention of someone at the counter and asking about Gold rentals. They waved me then to the front of the line and I was out in a few minutes.

The signage isn't clear, but if you're Gold, I think you can sort of skip the line--you just have to be a little pushy about it.

And yes, definitely bring documentation of your credit card CDW. They did ask.
i can do pushy. Lol! Thanks

One thing that's nice at Avis is that you can add the CDw and stuff on at the time of your reservation and reduce the bs at the counter if you already know you need it (as we do).

It it would seem not too difficult to go from there (for hertz or anyone) to the fast lane service since they don't have to give people a bunch of crap about it in person if you add t in advance (or even force add it).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 17 at 5:04 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 5, 17, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One thing that's nice at Avis is that you can add the CDw and stuff on at the time of your reservation and reduce the bs at the counter if you already know you need it (as we do).
If a gold member, you can modify your profile to include them
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If a gold member, you can modify your profile to include them
good to know. I haven't signed up yet pending my decision on who to use
Old Jun 7, 17, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I I have good rates through my current job with hertz, and was hoping to capitalize on those, but it sounds like the hassle isn't worth it. I'll go wih Avis as usual for th in-terminal pick up and drop off I guess. I frickin HATE renting at TLV. It is downright ABSURD how long it takes them to move through customers at check in. I'd rather spend the day at misrad ha panim and admire their speed and efficiency in comparison. LOL
Things have changed, and now it is Hertz that offers dropping the car back at the terminal instead of Avis.

I usually arrive very early morning and so there isn't much of a queue, but from what I've seen most of the issues are because of insurance issues (i.e. rentals with no CDW/TP cover, where the coverage is done by a 3rd party that Hertz refuse to accept).

I usually approach the desk with my passport+drivers license+credit card ready, and I leave no more than 5 minutes later after signing on the ipad and declining additional insurance
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Quick update, as I have an upcoming rental in TLV soon, for the first time in 5 years I have received an e-mail with details about the gold counter which is located in the parking lot.
I have no idea what has changed, since there was always an office there, and as I always arrive late night/early morning, it is always closed, but at least now I can say that the official hours for the gold counter are 7AM-11PM, and that it does seem to actually exist, they even attached a map to the e-mail!
Old Oct 6, 17, 7:56 am

Received in Thrifty/Hertz in Tel Aviv airport a lower category car than ordered.
The booking made in Expedia, be careful ..

This happened to me in Thrifty/Hertz in TLV airport.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 17 at 12:19 pm Reason: merged; same topic/issue
Old Oct 7, 17, 2:07 am
Original Poster

And in true Israeli style, upon my arrival to the normal counter they couldn't find my reservation, they then said the gold counter is actually open (it was 3AM) and said I should go there directly as they have the keys, they couldn't really explain why their e-mail say it is closed and it is actually open, given that there was no queue upon my arrival, it wasn't a big issue

The process a the gold counter is completely identical to the process at the normal counter, no shortcuts or anything.

Originally Posted by AalfA View Post
Received in Thrifty/Hertz in Tel Aviv airport a lower category car than ordered.
The booking made in Expedia, be careful ..
Thanks for the detailed story... here's mine:
Rented in Hertz TLV airport, received a higher category car, 90% of the times in 20 rentals or so during last 5 years, bookings were made @ hertz.com

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 17 at 5:05 am Reason: moved into consolidated thread

Search this Thread
Search Engine: