Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Found drugs in car... was this handled right?

Old Jun 3, 17, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Hi all,

Picked up a rental, last decent car the location had at the time. Agent walks me to the car, and when the door was opened the smell of smoke and weed was overwhelming.

I asked for another vehicle, as I'd be driving clients around, but no go. Agent takes note of the issue and I leave.

After airing it out the weed smell wouldn't leave. After doing some searching, I found a used glass hitter and a baggie with some ground weed under the seat.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a card-carrying medical cannabis user, so I was in no way offended by this on a moral level. But laws are laws, and the place I was in doesn't reciprocate my state card on an official level, and use while driving is of course a no go. Last thing I needed was to be pulled over and the smell lead to a search which would have found the items in question.

After sending pics to the manager, he said all he could do was comp the tank of gas. Wouldn't even get me another vehicle or take a day off my bill for the inconvenience.

Your thoughts? Should I press the issue?
Old Jun 3, 17, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I would have flatly refused to take a car reeking of weed. Far too many downsides, including being arrested and having your life completely screwed up for god knows how long.

This is unacceptable. The company needed to walk you to a different company if they had absolutely no other cars available.

Please let corporate know.
Old Jun 3, 17, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Well if you wanted to smoke it, you might have gotten a nice bonus.

But otherwise, no, I don't think they handled this at all. If it's not a franchise, def escalate. I think they should have comped the entire rental.

Had you been pulled over, it would have been your a$$ on the line.
Old Jun 3, 17, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
Well if you wanted to smoke it, you might have gotten a nice bonus.

But otherwise, no, I don't think they handled this at all. If it's not a franchise, def escalate. I think they should have comped the entire rental.

Had you been pulled over, it would have been your a$$ on the line.
Honestly, if it had been in a dispensary package and wasn't some cheap ditch weed in a sandwich baggie I'd have considered it. But it was the kind that was especially skunky and lingered in the air.

The smell of the smoked-from apparatus was worse than anything I think.
Old Jun 3, 17, 7:24 pm

From your post, I'm assuming you rented from an HLE. Can you take it to a nearby airport and swap it out? If the agent indeed noted it, then they could handle it internally from there.
Old Jun 3, 17, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I would have flatly refused to take a car reeking of weed. Far too many downsides, including being arrested and having your life completely screwed up for god knows how long.

This is unacceptable. The company needed to walk you to a different company if they had absolutely no other cars available.

Please let corporate know.
Even with a med card, I play it safe. Only carry product purchased legally by me and carried in prescription packaging, where medically legal. While most officers have way more on their plates than worrying about a grown man with some weed, but you never know and laws are laws.

I aired the car out before leaving and it improved, so I thought it was momentary. It got worse again upon leaving the car and was the same after airing out again. That's when my nose led me to the stash.
Old Jun 3, 17, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Apart from the legal risks that the OP faced from this situation, Hertz utterly failed to meet its guarantee of a 100% smoke-free fleet, and to adequately clean the vehicle that had been smoked in before re-renting it!

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...policy_faq.jsp
Old Jun 4, 17, 10:57 am

What did they tell you to do with the weed?
Old Jun 4, 17, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canyoncar View Post
What did they tell you to do with the weed?
Nothing. Just that he's sure the previous person was charged a smoking fee already so it was ok, and offered a tank of gas.
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:51 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Next time, spray the entire interior with Fabreeze or Glade and let sit overnite. And as Bob Marley said, smoke two joints then smoke two more, while you wait.
Old Jun 5, 17, 2:58 am

Almost all pot busts are based on odor
Old Jun 5, 17, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The stink sticks. It's not unheard that cars are stolen and taken for a proverbial "joyride" by some pot-smokers who smoke in the car. And then even extensive cleaning of the car doesn't get rid of the smell for quite some time and then some. At least the legitimate car driver/owner would often then have at least a police report to try to provide some legal cover; but even that kind of report is no guarantee of not having trouble from law enforcement and prosecutors over the matter.

I personally wouldn't voluntarily accept to drive in a car with such a stink. But this does beg the question about what risks rental car users have from driving in cars with unlawful items present without their knowledge of the restricted items being in the vehicle.
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:42 am
Original Poster

An update: I reached up the food chain and was told I could return it to another location and it would be dealt with if the original manager did nothing. They notified the other branch, and set it up for me to return. In the meantime, the branch manager from the original location reached out and seemed pretty upset for how things were handled, as apparently the people I was dealing with work the top of the totem pole there.

He offered to compthe rental, and asked that I bring it in for him to inspect personally. I did this morning, and they handled it extremely professionally, and guaranteed that the employees who dealt with me last week would be better trained.

Very satisfied with the response after some effort.
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:43 am
Original Poster

And just for reference...
Attached Images  
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What if the renter had called the police when the illegal drugs were found in the car, either before or after moving the car from the Hertz lot?

BTW, could it have been employees rather than the previous renter who did it?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: