Mileage limit of Tesla Model S?

Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Mileage limit of Tesla Model S?

I'm trying to book a week rental out of SFO in May, and I'd really like to make it a Tesla, but Tesla is the only car with a 75 daily mileage limit.

I'd be using the car to drive to san diego, the grand canyon, and back, and it's a real downer to have to choose a gas-based vehicle instead.

Is there anything I can do to get them to waive the mileage? I'm not familiar with renting cars as I don't do it that much. I have hertz Gold through my AMEX Plat if that matters.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:41 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Unfortunately, nothing that I know of. Higher-end cars tend to include a mileage cap to manage the depreciation expense.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
The only way round this is to make a booking for something else, with no mileage limit, and then upgrade to a Tesla at collection. If you do this, you get the original Ts & Cs, ie no mileage limit. There is a risk, of course, that they will not have a Tesla available for you, as there is no way of reserving one this way.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
......There is a risk, of course, that they will not have a Tesla available for you, as there is no way of reserving one this way.
Or you may end up paying more than if you were to reserve Tesla directly. Upgrade prices are all over the place. They can be higher than original reserved price.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Or you may end up paying more than if you were to reserve Tesla directly. Upgrade prices are all over the place. They can be higher than original reserved price.
I think that is a risk I will have to take.

It's like 2000 miles worth of gas that I'd be saving, which would add up.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Platinum
Will you be charged extra if you return the Tesla with less than 90% battery capacity?

Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
I think that is a risk I will have to take.

It's like 2000 miles worth of gas that I'd be saving, which would add up.
Err... just be warned that if you put 2,000 miles on a Tesla that you've gotten by upgrading into an unlimited mileage reso you may get banned from Hertz for excessive use.

I think you can probably guarantee a Prius reservation for a fraction of the cost if you're really worried about fuel. 2,000 miles is just not that much in fuel cost for the majority of the fleet (20-25 mpg = 80-100 gallons or $250-$300...)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not sure I'd want to drive that much in a car with limited range/charge. You may have a hard time finding charging stations.

Why don't you rent a Prius? That way you get good gas mileage but don't risk getting stuck somewhere you can't charge it.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Err... just be warned that if you put 2,000 miles on a Tesla that you've gotten by upgrading into an unlimited mileage reso you may get banned from Hertz for excessive use.

I think you can probably guarantee a Prius reservation for a fraction of the cost if you're really worried about fuel. 2,000 miles is just not that much in fuel cost for the majority of the fleet (20-25 mpg = 80-100 gallons or $250-$300...)
I second this. Throwing that kind of mileage on a specialty vehicle is a good way to find yourself on the do-not-rent list. And since Hertz owns Thrifty, Dollar and Firefly, it's a good bet you'd be flagged with those companies as well. Hertz also has plenty of hybrids besides the Prius - loads of Sonata and Fusion hybrids floating around.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Not sure I'd want to drive that much in a car with limited range/charge. You may have a hard time finding charging stations.

Why don't you rent a Prius? That way you get good gas mileage but don't risk getting stuck somewhere you can't charge it.
I commute in an econo-box, and my travels usually involve a taxi or train.

This vacation is based around a really fun road trip, and I want to do it in the type of car I'd never actually buy. Hence the $100k Tesla. I'll also settle for a Jaguar F-type, or Porsche, or something similar, but I figured I could avoid hundreds of dollars in premium fuel by getting the electric option.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

This vacation is based around a really fun road trip, and I want to do it in the type of car I'd never actually buy. Hence the $100k Tesla. I'll also settle for a Jaguar F-type, or Porsche, or something similar, but I figured I could avoid hundreds of dollars in premium fuel by getting the electric option.
The problem to me is that range of the vehicle on one charge is less than 300 miles, and I'd be worrying about where to recharge and whether I'd make it. With a hybrid you have the gas engine backup.

I agree, it would be fun to drive a Tesla.

Sounds like a fun trip. I drive all around California quite often, it's beautiful. Enjoy!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Platinum
My wife drives a Tesla, so I'm familiar with the car and the chargers. If you get the car, try to fine hotels that have Tesla destination chargers. That way you can plug it in at night and have a full charge in the morning. https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

You can also find a Supercharger on the road. Warning, California is full of Teslas, and there is frequently a line for the chargers. https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

It is an amazing car, hope you can enjoy the drive!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Who actually puts premium fuel in a rental car?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Who doesn't? I put whatever the vehicle specifies.

I treat my rentals like I treat my own vehicles. I put the fuel the vehicle calls for in it. If the car gets extremely dirty during my rental period, I wash it. I take the trash out of the vehicle every day. I guess some people's personal vehicles are not well taken care of and trashed, and they treat the rentals the same way.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Apparently a number of folks do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.