Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Forgot to Cancel my Reservation, Someone Drove as Me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forgot to Cancel my Reservation, Someone Drove as Me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:07 pm

Ironically, I had a similar experience at the LEX location a couple weeks ago, only in my case there was only one reservation involved. I had an FCAR reservation on 8/26, and initially they assigned me a Kia Optima. When I asked if they had anything else, the agent offered a Fusion Hybrid, fumbled with the system a bit, and printed off a new contract.

Except, nope, this particular Fusion had been smoked in and had 3,600 miles on the odometer when the contract showed it to only have 450 miles. So back to the counter I went to have the mileage corrected and see if they had anything that wasn't smokey. The agent apologized for the smoke, switched me into an Impala, and off I went.

I returned the Impala the next day, 8/27 with no issues. Five days later, I get AMEX alert for a new authorization from Hertz and a day after that an e-recept for my original Kia Optima showing it was also rented for 8/26-8/27 and driven exactly 100 miles on the same rate plan. Like the OP - why would I have 2 cars at the same time? Somehow, when swapping vehicles, the original agent must have created a new rental agreement by mistake and never fixed it.

Like the OP, I assume someone at Hertz wondered why that Optima had been sitting on the lot all week, and just made up some mileage and backdated the agreement to free it up in the system. In my case, a quick phone call cleared it up - they were very friendly about it and refunded the duplicate rental.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapiddave
I take it you didn't read the entirety of the post (I don't blame you ).

I already called Hertz CS and got a refund. I posted to expose the Hertz MSP station and inform other travelers that such fraudulent billing can in fact happen.

There is no way this is simply an error. The car was either driven 132 miles over two days, or it wasn't. If it was, someone else drove the car and I was charged for it - which is fraud- or a Hertz employee made up the return details and charged me for it- which is also fraud.
Fraud is not a simile of Mistake

Mistakes happen

Your credit card was billed but will either be ( or have been ) credited back by Hertz or , if for some strange reason this did not occur, will be able to dispute the charge with the credit card company

The sky is not falling in
Cymro and AutoSlash like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Fraud is not a simile of Mistake

Mistakes happen

Your credit card was billed but will either be ( or have been ) credited back by Hertz or , if for some strange reason this did not occur, will be able to dispute the charge with the credit card company

The sky is not falling in
Manually going in after the fact and modifying the rental contract so that a charge is processed to the customer, for a car that never left the lot, is not a "mistake." Unless you're arguing that Hertz cannot pull up a vehicle in their system and determine where it is/who has it. If that's the case, maybe it's time to profit (jk).

I'm not saying it's fraud because that requires more than just an action that's not a mistake, but based on what the OP is saying (obviously don't know if it's 100% correct or not), this was not a mistake.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jackal
*Someone in the Gold booth's back room is, I think,
literally sitting there and clicking through the screens to open your contract before you arrive.
You'd be correct. It's a process that takes ~25 seconds per customer. Not difficult, but rather mind-numbing. Press F1, then F6, then F1, then F6, then F1, over and over and over again.
jackal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.