Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:15 am

Where are you renting? State law limits additional driver fees in some places. California - no fee. New York- capped at $3. Illinois, Nevada, Missouri, Wisconsin, Oregon -no fee for spouse.

Originally Posted by United747
A fair number of CDP codes include free additional drivers
Many of those CDP's have restrictions on which additional drivers qualify for the fee waiver. For instance, USAA waives the fee, but only if the additional driver is also a USAA member . So be aware that if the additional driver doesn't meet the requirements and damages the car, gets a ticket, or gets nailed for a video toll, that's a big violation of your rental agreement and you may find yourself both on the DNR list. It would also void any CDW you may have purchased.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Renting at DFW (Dallas / Fort Worth)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
If it's your SO, an AAA/CAA or AARP/CARP membership should work.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
If it's your SO, an AAA/CAA or AARP/CARP membership should work.
Therein lies the problem. My SO (wife) will be with us, but does not like driving on the 'wrong' side. The other driver who usually accompanies us on vacation is a family friend, but not my spouse.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:26 pm

Can you post a link showing that additional drivers are no longer included ? I wasn't aware of that.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by koopa
Can you post a link showing that additional drivers are no longer included ? I wasn't aware of that.
Complimentatry addition of additional drivers was not a benefit of the Hertz loyalty programme and so hasn't been removed as a benefit

The OP might want to talk to American Express if an American Express card benefit has been withdrawn

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 12, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:16 pm

Additional driver fee for spouse?

I know it used to be free for Gold member. However, according to this article, you have to be in "five star tier" to waive the fees now. Is this true?

https://www.autoslash.com/blog-and-t...al-driver-fees
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
some company discount programs offer free additional drivers. if you are a USAA member, their is no additional fee.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:53 am

Can someone please link to an official Hertz statement about this?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

TL;DR - We are pretty sure spouses can still drive for free if you're a base-level Hertz Gold member.

Actually, it turns out Hertz likely did not make any changes, and spouses are included for base Gold members. Initially, one of our team brought to our attention that in the public T&Cs for Gold members, it only says that Five Star or President's Circle members are eligible to waive the additional driver fee for a spouse or domestic partner. Additionally, if you look at the T&C's for any US location (like Orlando Airport) it doesn't really clarify the situation much.

Further confusing the issue is that there used to be a page on Hertz.com with the following wording, but it seems to have been removed (or at least we can only find references to it on archived non-Hertz blogs):

As a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member, your spouse, domestic partner, or co-worker is automatically considered an authorized user, so there is no need to add them to your reservation. If the person you would like to add is not a spouse, domestic partner or co-worker they will need to fill out an Additional Authorized Operator agreement at a Hertz location at an additional charge.
However, if you log in to your Hertz Gold account and then go to Membership Information T&C you still see the following:

For rentals in the United States and Canada by renters enrolled to use the Program in those countries, this means that the renter's spouse or domestic partner may operate the Car without registering as an Additional Authorized Operator or paying a fee, provided he or she is at least 25 years old and has a valid driver's license from a jurisdiction acceptable to Hertz.
and:

2. WHO MAY OPERATE THE CAR
Only You and, with Your permission, the following persons, provided that they meet the qualifications set forth in the following sentence (“Authorized Operators”), may operate the Car: Your spouse, Your domestic partner (if You are not married), Your employer, employees and fellow employees incidental to their business duties, and any other person who meets Hertz’ qualifications and who signs an Additional Authorized Operator form at the time of rental. Except as provided in the following sentence, all Authorized Operators must be at least 21 years old and have a valid driver’s license from a jurisdiction acceptable to Hertz. Charges for Authorized Operators under 25 may apply. For rentals which commence in Michigan and New York, persons between the ages of 18 and 24 who meet Hertz’ other qualifications and who sign an Additional Authorized Operator form at the time of rental may be Authorized Operators; in such cases, an Underage Differential Charge will be assessed. Except to the extent necessary for valet parking or in an emergency as permitted by law, no other persons are permitted to operate the Car; for purposes hereof, an “emergency” shall mean urgent circumstances which, under the laws of the jurisdiction in which the alleged emergency occurred, would justify the operation of an automobile by an unlicensed driver. With respect to persons who must sign an Additional Authorized Operator form , other qualifications may, at Hertz’ discretion, be in effect at the time and place of rental; and, where permitted by law, Hertz may impose an additional fee for such persons. A “domestic partner” is an unmarried partner of the same or opposite sex who is not Your parent, grandparent, sibling, child, grandchild, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew (in each case by blood or adoption), who permanently resides at the same address as You, and whose driver’s license shows the same residence address as Your driver’s license.
*Note that I was logged in as a basic Gold member--not 5* or PC when I pulled this.

As per the above, it seems that the T&Cs around additional drivers have not changed. It's an error (and apparently a long-standing one) on the part of Hertz's web content team. We'll revert the changes to our blog post accordingly.
Joonydell likes this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jan 21, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Puerto Rico

Hey there searched this thread and it seems that if both me and my friend are AAA members we would NOT have to pay the additional driver fee, correct?
Now to add some spice: would this also be true in Puerto Rico?
It's been really interesting researching my upcoming visit to SJU, looking at AT&T, medical insurance, banks, etc-- For every time someone says, "It's America, everything is the same in Puerto Rico," I also read "Valid only in the continental US"--
Does anyone have an educated guess on this?
I'm a Hertz Presidents Circle if that makes any difference.
Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:40 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there searched this thread and it seems that if both me and my friend are AAA members we would NOT have to pay the additional driver fee, correct?
Correct.

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Now to add some spice: would this also be true in Puerto Rico?
Technically no since it's US/CA only as per Hertz/AAA T&Cs, but it's possible you'd get the benefits in PR. We just wouldn't count on it.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:44 am

Presidents Circle Additional Driver

Hello

I'm a UK Hertz Presidents Circle member, do I get a free additional driver on rentals in the US at all? On the website it says in Europe only but I wondered if anyone had an experience in practice? I know I get it with my Avis Presidents Club membership so just working out which company to book with.

Thanks
Old May 20, 2019, 5:09 pm

Question

Originally Posted by seat38a
I ran into a similar issue at DEN. I needed my dad added to the rental agreement so he would be covered under both my Chase card and my own car's insurance. Also, since both of us were AAA members, additional driver is free. After phone calls back and forth between the checkout booth and the customer service agent, it turns out that they have a carbon copy manual slip for adding additional drivers so no charges are generated.
I would have thought that the CDP for AAA would have zeroed out any additional driver charges automatically and not have to require filling out a carbon copy slip in the electronic era. Really wish Hertz would allow you to add additional drivers in advance like National and Alamo. I have a rental coming up next month booked using the AAA code and will have to add my father to the rental. I will report exactly what happens when it comes time to adding the additional driver at the exit gate.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
As per the above, it seems that the T&Cs around additional drivers have not changed. It's an error (and apparently a long-standing one) on the part of Hertz's web content team. We'll revert the changes to our blog post accordingly.
Now I'm thoroughly confused. Is it that Hertz ACTUALLY DOES let spouses of base-level GOLD members drive for free (as their T&C would seem to state), but their non-T&C pages erroneously don't mention this benefit? Or is it that Hertz ACTUALLY DOES NOT let spouses drive for free, and the error is what's stated in the T&C?

Of course, one should always assume that the official T&C applies. But the T&C are confusing because the statement about spouses driving for free is given to clarify a prior statement, not to simply state that there exists a specific beneft:

Rentals which do not use the Program will be governed by the Terms and Conditions for rentals at the facility at which the rental originates, which will be given to You at the commencement of the rental, and not by these Rental Terms.
However, if the Terms and Conditions for rentals at the facility at which a non.Program rental commences are less permissive with respect to which persons may operate the Car than are the corresponding provisions of these Rental Terms for Program Rentals commencing in the country in which that facility is located, then renters enrolled to use the Program in that country will receive the benefit of the more permissive terms even when making a non.Program rental of a Car. For rentals in the United States and Canada by renters enrolled to use the Program in those countries, this means that the renter's spouse or domestic partner may operate the Car without registering as an Additional Authorized Operator or paying a fee, provided he or she is at least 25 years old and has a valid driver's license from a jurisdiction acceptable to Hertz.
I read this paragraph to mean that even if you make a "nonProgram rental", you get whatever additional driver benefits normally come with Gold membership. At the time it was written, Gold members got free spousal additional driver benefits. But now, those benefits are not listed elsewhere.

So, *in practice*, does this spouse-drives-free benefit apply, or not? Have base-level Gold members been asked to pay additional driver fees for spouses when renting in the US? (I mean in states that are NOT California etc that mandate this benefit for spouses.)

Last edited by snic; May 21, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.