Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:17 am

Thank you @AutoSlash all makes sense. A couple of last questions

i understand that additional drivers should be free with PC. Do they need to sign anything at pickup or can I just bring the wife’s drivers license for them to verify? Would save dragging the kids along

not being familiar with all the US models, what would be a decent mid/full size SUV or crossover to look out for in the lot that would be realistic without upgrade? Don’t want something massive but must fit 3 suitcases.

Cheers

Last edited by bergsey; Jan 23, 2019 at 4:59 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bergsey
Thank you @AutoSlash all makes sense. A couple of last questions

i understand that additional drivers should be free with PC. Do they need to sign anything at pickup or can I just bring the wife’s drivers license for them to verify? Would save dragging the kids along

not being familiar with all the US models, what would be a decent mid/full size SUV or crossover to look out for in the lot that would be realistic without upgrade? Don’t want something massive but must fit 3 suitcases.

Cheers
Sometimes it’s a class down but I like the Ford escape SUV. Great gas mileage, fun car with pep and the electronics in the cockpit are really nice
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:02 am

One last one, how does the recording of preexisting damage work when you just pick the car and drive away? Here in Aus they are normally quite thorough on the check in / out so I always take time to look things over and take photos

Ive got CDW direct from Hertz as part of the rate so I assume I don’t really have to worry as an damage preexisting or not they should cover?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:04 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I understand that additional drivers should be free with PC. Do they need to sign anything at pickup or can I just bring the wife’s drivers license for them to verify? Would save dragging the kids along
Spouses drive free as a Gold member. There is no need to explicitly add your spouse to the contract as a named driver. They are automatically approved additional drivers. Anyone other than a spouse will pay an additional driver fee unless you use a CDP that allows an additional driver for free (AAA, USAA, etc.)

Not being familiar with all the US models, what would be a decent mid/ full size SUV or crossover to look out for in the lot that would be realistic without upgrade ? Don’t want something massive but must fit 3 suitcases.
A Fullsize car typically had a large trunk and could probably accommodate 3 large suitcases depending on model. A Standard SUV would probably also work, but a Fullsize SUV would obviously give you more room. Honestly though, as a PC member, you can just book an Intermediate (midsize) car and then pull something on the larger side from the UC PC section. I really don't think you'll have a problem finding something that meets your needs at MCO. It's probably not worth paying more in this case.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Anyone other than a spouse will pay an additional driver fee unless you use a CDP that allows an additional driver for free (AAA, USAA, etc.)
Be extremely careful with this one. From the AAA Hertz website:
No Additional Driver Charge
No charge for additional drivers who are AAA members
cestmoi123 and bergsey like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Sometimes it’s a class down but I like the Ford escape SUV. Great gas mileage, fun car with pep and the electronics in the cockpit are really nice
Brand New (7 miles) Chevy Equinox today at 5:00 pm at EWR. I was happy
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:30 am

One last one, how does the recording of preexisting damage work when you just pick the car and drive away? Here in Aus they are normally quite thorough on the check in / out so I always take time to look things over and take photos

Ive got CDW direct from Hertz as part of the rate so I assume I don’t really have to worry as an damage preexisting or not they should cover?
You can do a walk-around yourself if you want. Take a video of the car in the garage before you leave. To be honest, I've never actually done this though. Hertz airport locations are going to be less gung-ho about finding scrapes than your local Enterprise.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by koopa
Be extremely careful with this one. From the AAA Hertz website:
Originally Posted by m907
You can do a walk-around yourself if you want. Take a video of the car in the garage before you leave. To be honest, I've never actually done this though. Hertz airport locations are going to be less gung-ho about finding scrapes than your local Enterprise.
Yes, agree that Hertz airport locations are pretty lenient about this stuff. Your best bet is to walk about the car, take pics and make sure any preexisting damage is noted by the gate agent on a form that you get a copy of at checkout. That said, if you have included LDW from Hertz, none of that really matters. As long as you're not operating the vehicle negligently and/or against the T&Cs of the rental contract, you will not be liable for any damage charges so don't even waste your time with more than a cursory look.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:31 pm

I’ve just recently applied for hertz gold for my upcoming trip to California. Will be picking up an intermediete SUV from SFO but what I don’t really understand is how ultimate (gold) choice works. I understand that I’ll get a car assigned plus that I can choose any car from the gold choice area, but what if I don’t like my assigned car and there’s no SUV’s in gold? Can I pick any car from the regular IFAR isle or am I stuck with the assigned vehicle?

Last edited by Azznan; Feb 7, 2019 at 1:33 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Azznan
I’ve just recently applied for hertz gold for my upcoming trip to California. Will be picking up an intermediete SUV from SFO but what I don’t really understand is how ultimate (gold) choice works. I understand that I’ll get a car assigned plus that I can choose any car from the gold choice area, but what if I don’t like my assigned car and there’s no SUV’s in gold? Can I pick any car from the regular IFAR isle or am I stuck with the assigned vehicle?
You'll likely be assigned an Intermediate SUV in a numbered spot. You can browse the Gold aisle, but if there's nothing you want there, and you're not happy with what's been assigned for whatever reason, you'll have to speak with a lot attendant to see if they'd be willing to assign you something else. You can't really just browse the lot for other SUVs and grab what you like. You can only pick what's in the Gold section that corresponds to your status level (likely regular Gold if you just signed up) unless you're willing to pay an upgrade fee to pick something from the Premium Upgrades section.
Azznan likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You'll likely be assigned an Intermediate SUV in a numbered spot. You can browse the Gold aisle, but if there's nothing you want there, and you're not happy with what's been assigned for whatever reason, you'll have to speak with a lot attendant to see if they'd be willing to assign you something else. You can't really just browse the lot for other SUVs and grab what you like. You can only pick what's in the Gold section that corresponds to your status level (likely regular Gold if you just signed up) unless you're willing to pay an upgrade fee to pick something from the Premium Upgrades section.
Thank you, sounds pretty much like what I figured but how does it work for non gold members, do they have a larger selection of IFARs to choose from with the regular ultimate choice service?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Azznan

How does it work for non gold members, do they have a larger selection of IFARs to choose from with the regular ultimate choice service?
Non-gold members just get assigned a vehicle. There is no choice.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, Hertz PC
Booking Classes - Ordered?

From this thread's FAQ:
Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You must book at least an an Intermediate (Booking Class C; ICAR) car.
This seems to imply that Hertz booking classes are ordered, however I did not find out HOW they are ordered. So, which classes are higher than C? Can I assume alphabetical order, meaning that everything except A and B is >= C?

Forgive me if this was answered already, I spent the last half hour searching for an answer but couldn't find one.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:16 pm

I believe the only classes that are ineligible ("below" C) are Economy (A), Compact (B), and Manager's Special (A6).
cestmoi123, klanfa and m907 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:06 pm

Better to ask the gold desk staff or the lot attendants when trying to negotiate another vehicle? i.e. who knows what cool hidden gems they have and have the authority to give it to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.