Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:25 pm

How does 5* upgrading work at LAS?

Am new to Hertz 5* via a status match. Had a lot of problems with their website (eg didnt work at all or charged a lot more when logged in as opposed to a guest booking etc) but finally got it to work and reserved a fullsize FCAR at LAS. lnstruction say to look for my name on the board, go to the designated space and pick up the car.

Does anyone know whether the designated car is upgraded automatically or whether you have to ask for an upgrade? Also, what if you dont like the designated car, can you choose another one from the FCAR aisle?

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 31, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: Moved into existing thread
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:53 pm

Las Vegas is an "Ultimate Choice" location, so you choose your own car.

As long as you have an intermediate or higher reservation (which you now do), when you arrive, your name will be on the board, and will say "Gold" "5 star" or "PC". You head to that section, and pick out a car yourself. You can also choose from any "lower" section; for instance, if you're a 5-star, you could also choose a car out of Gold without any extra steps.

On the very off chance you don't see a full size availabe, you can ask at the desk and they'll direct you to a specific space for one.

They'll also have a row of paid upgrades (very often Infinitis) available for $25 or $35 a day, depending on your status. If you take one of those, the rate will automatically be changed at the exit gate.

Two more thoughts: if this is your very first rental as a Hertz Gold, you'll have to go to the desk so they can check your drivers license, credit card, etc. When you arrive, your name either wont be on the board, or it'll direct you to the desk.

If you're expecting a complimentary upgrade on the basis of status, you probably shouldn't hold your breath for anything great. While it's theoretically possible you'll find something nice on the aisle, it's more likely you'll just have the chance to pick an "F6" (fullsize + leather), or some kind of crossover/SUV, and that will count as your "upgrade".
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Presguy
Las Vegas is an "Ultimate Choice" location, so you choose your own car.

As long as you have an intermediate or higher reservation (which you now do), when you arrive, your name will be on the board, and will say "Gold" "5 star" or "PC". You head to that section, and pick out a car yourself. You can also choose from any "lower" section; for instance, if you're a 5-star, you could also choose a car out of Gold without any extra steps.

On the very off chance you don't see a full size availabe, you can ask at the desk and they'll direct you to a specific space for one.

They'll also have a row of paid upgrades (very often Infinitis) available for $25 or $35 a day, depending on your status. If you take one of those, the rate will automatically be changed at the exit gate.

Two more thoughts: if this is your very first rental as a Hertz Gold, you'll have to go to the desk so they can check your drivers license, credit card, etc. When you arrive, your name either wont be on the board, or it'll direct you to the desk.

If you're expecting a complimentary upgrade on the basis of status, you probably shouldn't hold your breath for anything great. While it's theoretically possible you'll find something nice on the aisle, it's more likely you'll just have the chance to pick an "F6" (fullsize + leather), or some kind of crossover/SUV, and that will count as your "upgrade".
Thanks very much, this is very helpful. I guess if you don’t need a specific size car the best thing is to book intermediate and then hope to find somethng better.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by flyercity

Thanks very much, this is very helpful. I guess if you don’t need a specific size car the best thing is to book intermediate and then hope to find somethng better.
Yes, Ultimate Choice is supposed to give you upgrades in your designated section that you can choose from. Look at the dedicated thread for LAS to see what cars are typically available.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:25 am

Hi, I'm a President's Circle Hertz member but I've never used UC before. I'm going to book a car in SFO for few days, and I would like a SUV. It can be a Mid-size or Standard, I don't care since I will be drivig with a just one passenger.

I would love to try UC. I read a lot of posts but I'm still not sure if I will get access to UC, I can book:
Standard SUV (Group L) SFAR
Intermediate SUV (Group Q4) IFAR

Standard SUV is slightly cheaper - but will I still get UC access?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lukasmaz
Hi, I'm a President's Circle Hertz member but I've never used UC before. I'm going to book a car in SFO for few days, and I would like a SUV. It can be a Mid-size or Standard, I don't care since I will be drivig with a just one passenger.

I would love to try UC. I read a lot of posts but I'm still not sure if I will get access to UC, I can book:
Standard SUV (Group L) SFAR
Intermediate SUV (Group Q4) IFAR

Standard SUV is slightly cheaper - but will I still get UC access?
Book at least an ICAR and you can access all of the aisles labeled President's Circle, 5 Star and Gold areas. If you see your desired SUV in any of those zones, you can drive off in that SUV at the ICAR price (you can also ask if they'd get you one for a PC member).

If you absolutely need to guarantee getting an SUV, pay for the SUV rate. But generally, in PC I think the chances are very high you'll get an SUV.
Flying Machine and Joonydell like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Book at least an ICAR and you can access all of the aisles labeled President's Circle, 5 Star and Gold areas. If you see your desired SUV in any of those zones, you can drive off in that SUV at the ICAR price (you can also ask if they'd get you one for a PC member).

If you absolutely need to guarantee getting an SUV, pay for the SUV rate. But generally, in PC I think the chances are very high you'll get an SUV.
Thanks I'll do that.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Originally Posted by matt85
I'm a Hertz PC member. Made two reservations for later this week, and for some reason, both are showing as "Standard Service", meaning I'd have to go to the counter.
I recently switched my credit card in my profile - is that the likely reason?
And in any case: If I have to visit the counter, will I still be able to use the Ultimate Choice lots, or does counter always mean I get a specific car assigned?
Originally Posted by user
If it’s a new card that you add via website you will have to swipe it at the gold counter They will give you an incomplete rental record and then you can choose a car from the ultimate choice selection
If I can ask a similar question with additional ignorance;

For my next rental, I have just signed up to become a Hertz Gold Member.
As this will be my first rental as a Hertz Member, I assume I will need to visit the counter at collection (San Diego Airport location).
Does pre-payment at the time of booking (compared to paying at the counter), have any affect on Ultimate Choice selection?

Thank you.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:58 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Adam1
If I can ask a similar question with additional ignorance;

For my next rental, I have just signed up to become a Hertz Gold Member.
As this will be my first rental as a Hertz Member, I assume I will need to visit the counter at collection (San Diego Airport location).
Does pre-payment at the time of booking (compared to paying at the counter), have any affect on Ultimate Choice selection?

Thank you.
They can scan your credit card at the exit booth instead of the counter. You should be able to grab a vehicle from Ultimate Choice and proceed to the exit gate.

Pre-payment does not preclude you from being able to use Ultimate Choice, assuming you prepaid when logged into your Gold Plus Rewards account at Hertz.com.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
They can scan your credit card at the exit booth instead of the counter. You should be able to grab a vehicle from Ultimate Choice and proceed to the exit gate.

Pre-payment does not preclude you from being able to use Ultimate Choice, assuming you prepaid when logged into your Gold Plus Rewards account at Hertz.com.
That is good to know. Thank you very much for your reply and info.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:58 pm

Hertz JFK or LGA, which has better selection in UC for gold reward member?

I'm gold reward member. I have booked full-size car. Can I pick full size car from PC? Will that be counted as upgrade?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by agyani
Hertz JFK or LGA, which has better selection in UC for gold reward member?

I'm gold reward member. I have booked full-size car. Can I pick full size car from PC? Will that be counted as upgrade?
JFK and LGA are both about the same selection-wise. It really depends on how you hit it.

The way UC works is that you can book at least a midsize (intermediate) car (meaning anything except an economy or compact car) and then pick anything from the UC section. Note though that if you are just a regular Gold member, then you cannot pick from the PC or Five Star sections. Those are reserved for members who have achieved those status levels. Not sure what would happen if you tried. You'd likely either be sent back to the section you were supposed to choose from or charged an upgrade fee.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lukasmaz
Hi, I'm a President's Circle Hertz member but I've never used UC before. I'm going to book a car in SFO for few days, and I would like a SUV.
I did a full loop of the SFO lot a few days ago. PC has one or two SUV which is what it normally has, but nothing special. But the Gold area was wall-to-wall SUVs and pickup trucks of many sizes. If you don't find something you like in PC, definitely take the walk over to the other areas - just be aware that they are several rows away from the PC area (with "reserved" areas in the between)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Hi, I’ve booked a one-way rental from Orlando to Washington DC for 11 days in April.

I need a car that can fit 3 suitcases, so have booked a standard SUV. The rates have changed on the mid/full size to be around the same price so not going to risk changing to something smaller hoping for an upgrade.

I’m a PC member courtesy of status match but this is my first Hertz rental using it. A couple of questions –
  1. My reservation says “Customer not registered for gold service at this location” and “Service Type: Counter”. I’m assuming that is because they need to do an ID check etc for the first time ?
  2. MCO is an Ultimate Choice location, I assume that given I have booked an SUV one of these will be “reserved” or I can pick anything I like from the PC area?
  3. Do I pick the car first then go to the counter (or other way round?)
  4. Any tips for getting a ‘nice’ ride? I have some time so can wait around for something good given I’m going to be doing a lot of miles. Had a great Audi Q5 for my last rental from Hertz in Aus was a perfect size/drive

Thanks !
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by bergsey
1. My reservation says “Customer not registered for gold service at this location” and “Service Type: Counter”. I’m assuming that is because they need to do an ID check etc for the first time?
Probably yes, but you don't need to go to the counter. Just pick something from the UC PC section and drive to the exit gate. Everything can be done there.

2. MCO is an Ultimate Choice location, I assume that given I have booked an SUV one of these will be “reserved” or I can pick anything I like from the PC area?
That is correct. You will be assigned an SUV in a reserved space but you will have the option of picking anything else in the UC PC, Five Star or even the regular Gold section. If you find something you like just grab it and head for the exit.

3. Do I pick the car first then go to the counter (or other way round?)
As per above, no need to hit the counter at all.

4. Any tips for getting a ‘nice’ ride? I have some time so can wait around for something good given I’m going to be doing a lot of miles. Had a great Audi Q5 for my last rental from Hertz in Aus was a perfect size/drive
Yes, you can certainly stalk the aisle for as long as you like. At a high volume location like MCO there is a fair amount of turnover. We've had some success asking the lot attendants to pull a vehicle from elsewhere and assign it to the PC section. Keep in mind though that while you can ask for anything, your request should be reasonable. Asking to have a nice Infiniti Q60 moved to PC is reasonable. Asking to have the Maserati Quattroporte assigned is likely not. Sometimes a bit of "appreciation" can also work, but again, be reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.