Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 8:57 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by adunker
So to expound on this, when returning the vehicle I noticed a bunch of other brand new 2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited's in the return and on the lot. Asked the attendant and she said they just got a delivery of them. There's probably like 10 at the Memphis airport currently. Enjoyed the car, would drive again.
Seems like a similar story at LGA. They are becoming common there whereas previously finding one would be like sighting the Loch Ness Monster.
adunker likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:35 am

Hi all,

Anyone seasoned in LAX / SAN Ultimate Choice? Booking a weekly standard reward (I know the taxes will be steeper than HLE but I prefer the selections/mileage) and wanted to know which location would typically have better UC options? Also--granted UC still applies to booking intermediate rates on an award--don't mean to be slightly OT but if I end up picking something out of the compact-premium level, say a midsize SUV, will the fees increase on my final total? TIA!
Old May 19, 2018, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by UKGrad
Anyone seasoned in LAX / SAN Ultimate Choice?!
There are lengthy and dedicated threads on the Ultimate Choice selection and experiences at both locations; suggest you refer to them.

...if I end up picking something out of the compact-premium level, say a midsize SUV, will the fees increase on my final total?
Not sure if I understand your question but if it is if selecting a car out of Ultimate Choice will impact your reserved charge, then it is no. For example, if you book an Intermediate sedan and select a Midsize SUV, there are no additional charges from your original booking. The exception to this is if the vehicle you choose is parked in a Premium Upgrade or Ultimate Series space.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There are lengthy and dedicated threads on the Ultimate Choice selection and experiences at both locations; suggest you refer to them.
Thanks. After I posted my question I realized this and took a look. Mostly wanted to know how Gold experiences/selections were as I do not carry elite status with Hertz, just plain Gold (seems the majority of posters are PC/5*).

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Not sure if I understand your question but if it is if selecting a car out of Ultimate Choice will impact your reserved charge, then it is no. For example, if you book an Intermediate sedan and select a Midsize SUV, there are no additional charges from your original booking. The exception to this is if the vehicle you choose is parked in a Premium Upgrade or Ultimate Series space.
Sorry, should have minimized my question for clarity: I was just curious if Ultimate Choice still applies with a Hertz points award booking.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:01 pm

I was just curious if Ultimate Choice still applies with a Hertz points award booking.
It does. For the US at least, the basic free day award is good for any car class between Economy and Premium. The common strategy most adopt is to book a Premium car; you will be assigned a specific car in that class. Your options are to take it or to choose something you fancy better in Ultimate Choice for the same price.
jackal, Auto Enthusiast and UKGrad like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA Gold, Hertz Platinum
If I book a car for few days at Location A (Hertz Ultimate), get my upgrade as per status and then make another booking at Location B (no Hertz Ultimate), do I get to keep the car on new booking considering my status?
Use case - Location A rates higher than B
Old May 31, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by lv.onlythebrave
If I book a car for few days at Location A (Hertz Ultimate), get my upgrade as per status and then make another booking at Location B (no Hertz Ultimate), do I get to keep the car on new booking considering my status?
Use case - Location A rates higher than B
I think you left out a piece of the puzzle here. Location A and Location B are obviously different locations. Is the idea here to do a one-way rental from A to B and try to keep the same car from A on the new contract or am I missing something?
Old May 31, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I think you left out a piece of the puzzle here. Location A and Location B are obviously different locations. Is the idea here to do a one-way rental from A to B and try to keep the same car from A on the new contract or am I missing something?
yes
One way A to B rental. New rental from B to B but keeping same car from A
Old May 31, 2018, 5:29 pm

yes
One way A to B rental. New rental from B to B but keeping same car from A
The answer is that it's completely at the discretion of the renting location. You'd have to return the car from location A and close out the rental contract and then open the new contract from location B. Often they will let you do what you want, but there are no guarantees. Your best bet is to chat up both the return agent as well as the counter agent and act as friendly as possible. You'll want to use your powers of persuasion here.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:53 pm

The answer is that it's completely at the discretion of the renting location. You'd have to return the car from location A and close out the rental contract and then open the new contract from location B. Often they will let you do what you want, but there are no guarantees. Your best bet is to chat up both the return agent as well as the counter agent and act as friendly as possible. You'll want to use your powers of persuasion here.
Agree, it looks like I need to make some friends at the counter.
Another question i have is, In case I decided to rent from/to Non UC location, do I still have the option to swap my car for an upgrade at UC location in the middle of rental. Just dont want to pay additional airport charges and UC locations are only airport ones.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:00 pm

Agree, it looks like I need to make some friends at the counter.
Another question i have is, In case I decided to rent from/to Non UC location, do I still have the option to swap my car for an upgrade at UC location in the middle of rental. Just dont want to pay additional airport charges and UC locations are only airport ones.
No, not really. Would they let you do it if you asked? Maybe, but they're not really supposed to. That's not really how the system works. You are basically trying to game the system. There is no official process to do what you are asking. If you brought in the car with a mechanical issue let say and asked for a replacement, they might be willing to do it for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will just send you out to the UC section and say, "Have at it!" They may just assign you an alternate vehicle that is in the same class as the one you booked. It's very much a YMMV situation.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:12 pm

No, not really. Would they let you do it if you asked? Maybe, but they're not really supposed to. That's not really how the system works. You are basically trying to game the system. There is no official process to do what you are asking. If you brought in the car with a mechanical issue let say and asked for a replacement, they might be willing to do it for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will just send you out to the UC section and say, "Have at it!" They may just assign you an alternate vehicle that is in the same class as the one you booked. It's very much a YMMV situation.
This question was just out of curiosity. I am better off booking on full size rates from an non-UC location. Hertz should introduce some non UC location so buyers can avoid the airport surcharges. thanks anyways for the response.

Had a very bad experience at hertz today. Booked an intermediate one-way rental. The la wouldnt let me choose anything from PC or Gold coz of one-way, not even a full size upgrade. I literally wanted to cancel my reservation and walk-away.
No-where in the policy it has been mentioned that no ultimate choice would be proviced to one-way rentals. I guess the mistake i did is went to usual counter.

Anybody had similar experience

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 26, 2018 at 4:21 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Had a very bad experience at hertz today. Booked an intermediate one-way rental. The la wouldnt let me choose anything from PC or Gold coz of one-way, not even a full size upgrade. I literally wanted to cancel my reservation and walk-away.
No-where in the policy it has been mentioned that no ultimate choice would be proviced to one-way rentals. I guess the mistake i did is went to usual counter.

Anybody had similar experience
I've done a couple one way rentals from DTW without issue. I never go to the counter, the Gate people can take care of any issues, but there isn't any. Why did you decide to go to the counter, to clarify?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:56 am

The one-way question is covered in the wiki; it is allowed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:47 pm

This was my first experience with a presidential circle and the lady at the counter was clearly going overboard. There was another man who was arguing with her as he was charged extra.

Can we just go to the parking lot, see our name on the board & pick any car from presidential and walk off? Where do we make the payment or take the receipt ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.