Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Brazilian_Girl
Hello,
I'm a PC member and I booked a Standard 2/4 Door (Group D) SCAR. I'll use my rewards to pay for this rental. Will I be able to choose from UC? It's a one way rental from MIA to Cape Canaveral (HLE).
From the wikipost of this thread:

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by isiegel3
At Tampa Int'l, I have seen them bring a car out then go to a device that looks similar to a time clock on the wall where they punch in a number or scan a barcode, presumably assigning a car to a space number (spaces in UC/Five Star/PC have numbers too). When I've left, my contracts usually have a space number up top. I'll investigate next time I'm out there and follow up!
Correct -- I believe this is standard procedure at all locations (of a certain size). Occasionally (seems like it's usually EWR) there will be a 'receipt' from that thing left in the car that also has vehicle details and line like "GOLD OK: YES" which I presume just hasn't been updated to reflect ultimate choice.
isiegel3 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieselbear
It may be time to update the Ultimate Choice eligibility chart. Twice now in the past six weeks, once at SFO and once at PDX, where I reserved O6 Intermediate Pickup (SFO) and S Fullsize Pickup (PDX) I have been told these are not eligible for Ultimate Choice and I cannot choose a vehicle in the Presidents Circle section. Instead was told I have to accept the pickup assigned.
Anyone else have any recent experiences with this? Pickup truck is currently cheapest rate for a rental at LAS in Nov.

If there is a chance this will be an issue, I'd probably pay the extra $20 for "Intermediate SUV" on a weekly rental.

The reason is Chase CSR CDW specifically prohibits coverage on pickups so there's no way I'd take the pickup if forced to take it.

I plan on getting anything from the PC lot (I suppose even 5* or UC) instead of the pickup. (I'm a PC).
Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Anyone else have any recent experiences with this? Pickup truck is currently cheapest rate for a rental at LAS in Nov.

If there is a chance this will be an issue, I'd probably pay the extra $20 for "Intermediate SUV" on a weekly rental.

The reason is Chase CSR CDW specifically prohibits coverage on pickups so there's no way I'd take the pickup if forced to take it.

I plan on getting anything from the PC lot (I suppose even 5* or UC) instead of the pickup. (I'm a PC).
Thanks.
There's always a chance, but I've rented O6 and taken from UC/PC a half dozen times and never had an issue of any kind. 1-2 of those were at SFO.

FWIW, I never talk to the gold booth, I simply pick my car and go to the exit.

You can always make a backup reservation for the SUV (maybe set it for 2 hours later) and cancel the pickup if they really won't rent something else to you.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by missingcolours
There's always a chance, but I've rented O6 and taken from UC/PC a half dozen times and never had an issue of any kind. 1-2 of those were at SFO.

FWIW, I never talk to the gold booth, I simply pick my car and go to the exit.

You can always make a backup reservation for the SUV (maybe set it for 2 hours later) and cancel the pickup if they really won't rent something else to you.
I was thinking about doing that. Thanks. Just did a backup reservation as you suggested.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:16 am

I was thinking about doing that. Thanks. Just did a backup reservation as you suggested.
Just a warning, Hertz now sends emails warning you about an auto cancellation of one of the overlapping reservations. I knew this but i was busy and tired day after i booked the above and i didn't respond in time.

Hertz auto cancelled my cheaper truck reservation even though i put flight info in that one and not in the later SUV one. Not a big deal but remember to watch for that email if you do backup reservations.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

Why am I not surprised that Hertz would automatically cancel the cheaper reservation?
rhwbullhead and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Hi. I reserved a full size at MIA for a couple of days around Christmas. This is the first time of renting a car at Hertz Ultimate Choice. I'm President's Circle matched from emerald club.

1. I'm wondering if I need to go to the counter first to pay the rent. The confirmation email says "what you pay at the counter".

2. I have my own insurance covering liability but not collision. I'm gonna buy the LDW and liability for this car rental. Do I need to go to the counter?

Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:39 pm

Thanks.
This is sort of Off topic but I guess I was wrong about this. I called claims to ask if a Cadillac.Escalade would be covered. They claimed that they'd cover most newer vehicles up to 75k. I asked about pickups and supposedly it would be covered even though the benefits say no "trucks" or "open beds". She said they meant moving trucks or cargo vans for prohibited vehicles.

This was for Chase CSR. The pickup would only not be covered if I were off roading. Supposedly the Z06 would be covered as well as are those special Hertz Camaros but I'd verify again if I were to rent one.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:57 am

My flight was cancelled so I'm stuck in Vegas for another night. Uber was $30. I already returned car with I got notice.

Anyway, cheapest rate was a the truck for $35 something, standard was next at $38.

PC lot was no good but the Mustang GT I just returned was awaiting a lucky 5* member but I grabbed it first.

Too bad my Nov truck got cancelled but at least I know it still works in LAS if the situation arises.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:12 pm

I asked about pickups and supposedly it would be covered even though the benefits say no "trucks" or "open beds". She said they meant moving trucks or cargo vans for prohibited vehicles.

This was for Chase CSR. The pickup would only not be covered if I were off roading.
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I would want that in writing before I relied on the rep's assurances.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by gruntermen
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I would want that in writing before I relied on the rep's assurances.
Yeah me too. Same with them telling me those special Hertz Z06 or Camaros would be covered. I wouldn't take the pickup truck anyway since I know confirmed I can get from PC lot.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:05 am

Can I use UC if I rent IFAR / Q4?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This is answered in the wikipost:

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a Luxury/Prestige/Adrenaline car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.
jason8612 and AutoSlash like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

I'm reading this topic and see that Ultimate Choice sometimes offers Mustang GT and other cars with an age limit. I booked a standard sport (D2) as a PC member but first time renting with Hertz as a 20 year old.

Could they offer me to pick from the Ultimate Choice and would I be able to take a Mustang GT if I'm lucky enough that they have one even though I'm not 25?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.