FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1793054-questions-discussion-about-hertz-ultimate-choice-service.html)

FlyinHawaiian Oct 22, 2019 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Brazilian_Girl (Post 31653268)
Hello,
I'm a PC member and I booked a Standard 2/4 Door (Group D) SCAR. I'll use my rewards to pay for this rental. Will I be able to choose from UC? It's a one way rental from MIA to Cape Canaveral (HLE).

From the wikipost of this thread:

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

lincolnjkc Oct 22, 2019 7:09 am

Originally Posted by isiegel3 (Post 31653319)
At Tampa Int'l, I have seen them bring a car out then go to a device that looks similar to a time clock on the wall where they punch in a number or scan a barcode, presumably assigning a car to a space number (spaces in UC/Five Star/PC have numbers too). When I've left, my contracts usually have a space number up top. I'll investigate next time I'm out there and follow up!

Correct -- I believe this is standard procedure at all locations (of a certain size). Occasionally (seems like it's usually EWR) there will be a 'receipt' from that thing left in the car that also has vehicle details and line like "GOLD OK: YES" which I presume just hasn't been updated to reflect ultimate choice.

rhwbullhead Oct 23, 2019 1:49 am

Originally Posted by dieselbear (Post 31034811)
It may be time to update the Ultimate Choice eligibility chart. Twice now in the past six weeks, once at SFO and once at PDX, where I reserved O6 Intermediate Pickup (SFO) and S Fullsize Pickup (PDX) I have been told these are not eligible for Ultimate Choice and I cannot choose a vehicle in the Presidents Circle section. Instead was told I have to accept the pickup assigned.

Anyone else have any recent experiences with this? Pickup truck is currently cheapest rate for a rental at LAS in Nov.

If there is a chance this will be an issue, I'd probably pay the extra $20 for "Intermediate SUV" on a weekly rental.

The reason is Chase CSR CDW specifically prohibits coverage on pickups so there's no way I'd take the pickup if forced to take it.

I plan on getting anything from the PC lot (I suppose even 5* or UC) instead of the pickup. (I'm a PC).
Thanks.

missingcolours Oct 23, 2019 2:02 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead (Post 31657645)
Anyone else have any recent experiences with this? Pickup truck is currently cheapest rate for a rental at LAS in Nov.

If there is a chance this will be an issue, I'd probably pay the extra $20 for "Intermediate SUV" on a weekly rental.

The reason is Chase CSR CDW specifically prohibits coverage on pickups so there's no way I'd take the pickup if forced to take it.

I plan on getting anything from the PC lot (I suppose even 5* or UC) instead of the pickup. (I'm a PC).
Thanks.

There's always a chance, but I've rented O6 and taken from UC/PC a half dozen times and never had an issue of any kind. 1-2 of those were at SFO.

FWIW, I never talk to the gold booth, I simply pick my car and go to the exit.

You can always make a backup reservation for the SUV (maybe set it for 2 hours later) and cancel the pickup if they really won't rent something else to you.

rhwbullhead Oct 23, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by missingcolours (Post 31657664)
There's always a chance, but I've rented O6 and taken from UC/PC a half dozen times and never had an issue of any kind. 1-2 of those were at SFO.

FWIW, I never talk to the gold booth, I simply pick my car and go to the exit.

You can always make a backup reservation for the SUV (maybe set it for 2 hours later) and cancel the pickup if they really won't rent something else to you.

I was thinking about doing that. Thanks. Just did a backup reservation as you suggested.

rhwbullhead Oct 27, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead (Post 31657712)
I was thinking about doing that. Thanks. Just did a backup reservation as you suggested.

Just a warning, Hertz now sends emails warning you about an auto cancellation of one of the overlapping reservations. I knew this but i was busy and tired day after i booked the above and i didn't respond in time.

Hertz auto cancelled my cheaper truck reservation even though i put flight info in that one and not in the later SUV one. Not a big deal but remember to watch for that email if you do backup reservations.

Auto Enthusiast Oct 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Why am I not surprised that Hertz would automatically cancel the cheaper reservation?

vtl8916 Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi. I reserved a full size at MIA for a couple of days around Christmas. This is the first time of renting a car at Hertz Ultimate Choice. I'm President's Circle matched from emerald club.

1. I'm wondering if I need to go to the counter first to pay the rent. The confirmation email says "what you pay at the counter".

2. I have my own insurance covering liability but not collision. I'm gonna buy the LDW and liability for this car rental. Do I need to go to the counter?

Thanks!

rhwbullhead Oct 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead (Post 31657645)

Thanks.

This is sort of Off topic but I guess I was wrong about this. I called claims to ask if a Cadillac.Escalade would be covered. They claimed that they'd cover most newer vehicles up to 75k. I asked about pickups and supposedly it would be covered even though the benefits say no "trucks" or "open beds". She said they meant moving trucks or cargo vans for prohibited vehicles.

This was for Chase CSR. The pickup would only not be covered if I were off roading. Supposedly the Z06 would be covered as well as are those special Hertz Camaros but I'd verify again if I were to rent one.

rhwbullhead Nov 1, 2019 12:57 am

My flight was cancelled so I'm stuck in Vegas for another night. Uber was $30. I already returned car with I got notice.

Anyway, cheapest rate was a the truck for $35 something, standard was next at $38.

PC lot was no good but the Mustang GT I just returned was awaiting a lucky 5* member but I grabbed it first.

Too bad my Nov truck got cancelled but at least I know it still works in LAS if the situation arises.

gruntermen Nov 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead (Post 31680473)
I asked about pickups and supposedly it would be covered even though the benefits say no "trucks" or "open beds". She said they meant moving trucks or cargo vans for prohibited vehicles.

This was for Chase CSR. The pickup would only not be covered if I were off roading.

Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I would want that in writing before I relied on the rep's assurances.

rhwbullhead Nov 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by gruntermen (Post 31723364)
Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I would want that in writing before I relied on the rep's assurances.

Yeah me too. Same with them telling me those special Hertz Z06 or Camaros would be covered. I wouldn't take the pickup truck anyway since I know confirmed I can get from PC lot.

ICPUI Nov 21, 2019 4:05 am

Can I use UC if I rent IFAR / Q4?

FlyinHawaiian Nov 21, 2019 5:04 am

This is answered in the wikipost:

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a Luxury/Prestige/Adrenaline car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Siepie250 Dec 5, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm reading this topic and see that Ultimate Choice sometimes offers Mustang GT and other cars with an age limit. I booked a standard sport (D2) as a PC member but first time renting with Hertz as a 20 year old.

Could they offer me to pick from the Ultimate Choice and would I be able to take a Mustang GT if I'm lucky enough that they have one even though I'm not 25?