Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 4:03 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I've recently reached the PC tier, however my experience of renting at an Ultimate Choice locations are next to none.
For my upcoming MCO rental I have a L4 (FRAR) 7 Passenger Standard SUV booked . Whit Ultimate Choice option, can I just stroll up to the PC section and choose any available SUV or car at my own leisure without any extra charges instead of going to my assigned parking spot for my L4, FRAR vehicle?
How to I deal with the paperwork in this case?

Any give day, could I expect to find anything better than my already booked L4, FRAR in the PC section of Ultimate Choice, I need a 7 seater?

EK
You can choose anything you want from the PC section. If there are SUVs there, have at it. You don't even need an SUV reservation for that. You can simply reserve an intermediate car or higher. The flip side to this though is that you are limited to what is available in the PC section when you arrive. It could be anything from a Ford Escape to a Chevy Suburban to a Range Rover (probably not) to an Explorer or anything in-between. It's a bit of a crap shoot though and depends more on timing, location, and just luck in general.

What you cannot do, even with an a L4 (FRAR) reservation is just walk over to a section full of SUVs and pick whatever you like. You need to choose from the PC section only. If you have an L4 (FRAR) you will be assigned a vehicle from that class in a designated space. You can feel free to browse the PC section to see if there is anything more appealing there. If so, just get in and drive to the exit gate. Everything will be handled automatically by the exit booth agent. If you don't find anything you like in the PC section, just take what you were assigned and drive out.
GOTBound likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
Whit Ultimate Choice option, can I just stroll up to the PC section and choose any available SUV or car at my own leisure without any extra charges instead of going to my assigned parking spot for my L4, FRAR vehicle?
How to I deal with the paperwork in this case?
Yes, you have 2 choices. Either go to the PC area or go to your assigned spot. You can take any car from the PC lot that suits you - and if nothing there then take your assigned car

There is no paperwork at all (presuming you already have a CC on file and have rented before). You simply drive up to the exit gate in whatever car you choose, they scan the car, they will take your DL & CC and automatically assign your booking (and rate) to whatever car you are in. There are no additional charges, so long as the car was in PC lot (you can also take a car from the 5* or Gold lot)

I am only a 5*, but last time I was in MCO, it appeared that my selection was a lot better than the PC area

No idea about 7 seaters SUVs, there are quite often minivans though
GOTBound likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You can choose anything you want from the PC section. If there are SUVs there, have at it. You don't even need an SUV reservation for that. You can simply reserve an intermediate car or higher. The flip side to this though is that you are limited to what is available in the PC section when you arrive. It could be anything from a Ford Escape to a Chevy Suburban to a Range Rover (probably not) to an Explorer or anything in-between. It's a bit of a crap shoot though and depends more on timing, location, and just luck in general.

What you cannot do, even with an a L4 (FRAR) reservation is just walk over to a section full of SUVs and pick whatever you like. You need to choose from the PC section only. If you have an L4 (FRAR) you will be assigned a vehicle from that class in a designated space. You can feel free to browse the PC section to see if there is anything more appealing there. If so, just get in and drive to the exit gate. Everything will be handled automatically by the exit booth agent. If you don't find anything you like in the PC section, just take what you were assigned and drive out.
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Yes, you have 2 choices. Either go to the PC area or go to your assigned spot. You can take any car from the PC lot that suits you - and if nothing there then take your assigned car

There is no paperwork at all (presuming you already have a CC on file and have rented before). You simply drive up to the exit gate in whatever car you choose, they scan the car, they will take your DL & CC and automatically assign your booking (and rate) to whatever car you are in. There are no additional charges, so long as the car was in PC lot (you can also take a car from the 5* or Gold lot)

I am only a 5*, but last time I was in MCO, it appeared that my selection was a lot better than the PC area

No idea about 7 seaters SUVs, there are quite often minivans though
Thank you for the quick and very informative replies, much appropriated!
Now I feel confident about the Ultimate Choice set-up, finger cross I'll score big at the PC section when we arrive @MCO. However, a L4, FRAR is the "smallest" car I need so it feels good to have that one secured if PC lot turns up empty handed for a bigger SUV (or the rare 6 seater truck).
i'll make sure to scout the 5* area as well,

Yes, my DL and CC are on file with Hertz, however I just realized I need t update my primary CC since I got a new one sent out by AMEX recently since I made my reservation a few months ago.

EK
Old May 27, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Hi there, anyone know if Ultimate Choice is available outside the US, specifically at the airport of Sydney, Australia?
(I know it's not in Europe...)
Old May 27, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Hi there, anyone know if Ultimate Choice is available outside the US, specifically at the airport of Sydney, Australia?
(I know it's not in Europe...)
Seems to be only US and Toronto: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp
Old May 27, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by missingcolours
Thanks for the info. Great Hertz website doesn't display the right page, but I believe you
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:35 am

Change rental

Im a Pc and took a car from UC at Tampa airport last week. I got a week left of my rental and found out that i need a different car due to change of travel plans. If i bring back my car now, would they let me choose from UC again or do they assign me the original booking «midsize» car?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nikky_res
Im a Pc and took a car from UC at Tampa airport last week. I got a week left of my rental and found out that i need a different car due to change of travel plans. If i bring back my car now, would they let me choose from UC again or do they assign me the original booking «midsize» car?
Maybe, maybe not - it seems to depend on the location. But Hertz is less lenient overall than National on exchanges.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

I'm helping a family member with an upcoming reservation. I had her join Gold so she could use Ultimate Choice. My question is whether they will make her go to the counter and take a preassigned car since it's her first rental, or if she can just choose a car from UC as normal.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:35 pm

So I'm a 5* member. Booked a full-size through our corporate travel website (Concur). Does that qualify me for UC? On the reservation confirmation page, it does say "Service Type: Standard Counter". Location will be San Diego. Thanks all.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:41 pm

Yes, if your Hertz Gold member number was attached to the reservation, then you should be able to use Ultimate Choice. If it shows up under your pending reservations when you login to your account at Hertz.com, you are good-to-go.
Auto Enthusiast and zihaoyu like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Great, thanks for the quick reply! yeah the reservation does show up on the website as well as the mobile app after I log in.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by m907
Maybe, maybe not - it seems to depend on the location. But Hertz is less lenient overall than National on exchanges.
I have a similar question. I'm just a gold member. If I'm unhappy with the car I get from the gold lot, will they allow me to exchange the car later in the week? I'm renting for 2 weeks so I'm guessing that the selections will be much better on a Saturday morning compared to Monday evening.

The last time I picked up a car at BNA, the gold lot was completely empty and I was prompted to choose from the 5-Star lot. Next week I may face a similar situation, but may wind up with the last car in the gold lot.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by plam1365
I have a similar question. I'm just a gold member. If I'm unhappy with the car I get from the gold lot, will they allow me to exchange the car later in the week? I'm renting for 2 weeks so I'm guessing that the selections will be much better on a Saturday morning compared to Monday evening.

The last time I picked up a car at BNA, the gold lot was completely empty and I was prompted to choose from the 5-Star lot. Next week I may face a similar situation, but may wind up with the last car in the gold lot.
There have been numerous reports of people being allowed to switch vehicles at Hertz as a Gold member, but it's very important to understand that this is not a right or a published benefit. It's very much at the discretion of the local staff/management. It probably helps to be friendly with the staff and have some sort of reasonable explanation as to why you'd like to swap vehicles. It's very much a YMMV situation, so to all the folks who keep looking for a definitive answer to this question, there really isn't one. Good luck though!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
There have been numerous reports of people being allowed to switch vehicles at Hertz as a Gold member, but it's very important to understand that this is not a right or a published benefit. It's very much at the discretion of the local staff/management. It probably helps to be friendly with the staff and have some sort of reasonable explanation as to why you'd like to swap vehicles. It's very much a YMMV situation, so to all the folks who keep looking for a definitive answer to this question, there really isn't one. Good luck though!
Thanks for the quick reply. I hope I don't have to test this, but if I do I will make sure to call Hertz customer service before heading back to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.