Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Smart move, I’ve seen that before by saving a few dollars taking a larger car but never struck as I’ve always taken an intermediate not to chance UC. I’m gonna try it next time. Thanks
comes out $200 cheaper then a midsize on a 2 week rental
Flying Machine and klanfa like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Smart move, I’ve seen that before by saving a few dollars taking a larger car but never struck as I’ve always taken an intermediate not to chance UC. I’m gonna try it next time. Thanks
Basically, so long as you don't book Economy, Compact, or Manager's Selection, you qualify for UC.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Yes, D2 is eligible for Ultimate Choice service.
And you can either take what they assign you or choose from UC.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by sloppyjoel
Standard Sport (Group D2)
SSAR (D2) Dodge Challenger or similar

Will I get ultimate choice? Is it higher then a midsize?

its the cheapest option out of all cars
Maybe specific to ORD (at their new consolidated car rental facility), but on a recent visit the UC selection was miserable and sparse consisting only of a few Malibu, and a Ram.
I had an SUV booked which was the cheapest (less than intermediate), but chose the Ram instead.
On exiting the lot, the Hertz agent asked: "Was there an issue with your car, or was your car not in the assigned lot?"

I referred to UC, and that worked, but it seemed as if it was unwelcome.
Strange experience.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Maybe specific to ORD (at their new consolidated car rental facility), but on a recent visit the UC selection was miserable and sparse consisting only of a few Malibu, and a Ram.
I had an SUV booked which was the cheapest (less than intermediate), but chose the Ram instead.
On exiting the lot, the Hertz agent asked: "Was there an issue with your car, or was your car not in the assigned lot?"

I referred to UC, and that worked, but it seemed as if it was unwelcome.
Strange experience.
Across the board UC is hit-or-miss in my experience. When it's a hit, it's a great hit (like this week's Infiniti QX60 out of EWR or the Jaguar I got out of SMF last year) and when it's a miss it's a total miss -- like the UC lot in ATL a couple months ago where everything in the lot was a grey Altima -- except for the one black Altima [and at least the one I hopped in was >30k miles]
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Across the board UC is hit-or-miss in my experience. When it's a hit, it's a great hit (like this week's Infiniti QX60 out of EWR or the Jaguar I got out of SMF last year) and when it's a miss it's a total miss -- like the UC lot in ATL a couple months ago where everything in the lot was a grey Altima -- except for the one black Altima [and at least the one I hopped in was >30k miles]
DCA is the worst I've seen. PC is your choice of different colors of Impalas and Malibus. Staff is rude or apathetic.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Yes
It was my first time renting with Hertz so I had to go to the Gold counter at SJC airport.

I had reserved a Luxury vehicle, ended up with a 300S (turned out to be a nice rental). When I called the 800 Hertz #, they said this location had Lincoln Continentals. Upon arrival, the gold agent said they do not have them ever. Ok..

When I asked to check-in and then browse the PC section, the agent said I could not because I needed to book 'Midsize or higher'. I stated I booked a Luxury, which appears higher on their category list than Fullsize (Group F), she then said it was because Hertz was offering me a special rate when I booked and I wasn't eligible. When I said that rate-eligibility outside of midsize or higher was not present on the Ultimate Choice terms (https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp), she just shrugged and repeated herself.

I just booked from the Hertz homepage without any special promo, with my AMEX Plat and prepaid, so my rate was:
CDP: PLATINUM CARD FROM AMEX
RQ: BEST
Rate Code: VCPD1

As it turns out after walking the PC section, there wasn't anything better than the 300s which I received for booking Luxury, but this interaction bothered me.

Q: Was I eligible to have picked a vehicle from Presidential Circle?

Later, I called corporate and they said that the Luxury vehicle tier is eligible for PC upgrades.

I spoke with the Gold desk upon returning the vehicle and a different agent who was present said their location defines the Ultimate Choice ‘midsize or larger’ solely as ‘midsize, standard, or fullsize’ because they have to guarantee a certain number of vehicles in PC and by booking a different tier such as Luxury they have to reserve (set aside) that vehicle.

The logic I don’t get here is why they aren’t following corporate and why if I had reserved a luxury tier vehicle and chose from PC, why they wouldn’t just put the reserved luxury vehicle into PC as a replacement.

Any advice on how to handle this for a similar future reservation? I plan on renting from here in the future and probably the Luxury tier so as to guarantee a certain level of vehicle, but if this action occurs again who can I escalate this too? The on-site staff don't seem to understand the program. I just want a smooth experience. Friends have told me to pay the difference and go with Enterprise.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 17, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:57 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The agent was either misinformed or was purposely misleading you. That said, while the PC section often has nice vehicles, it very rarely has anything as nice or nicer than a Mercedes 300S, so it's not like you missed out on anything.

All of that said, not sure exactly what you would "escalate" at this point. I guess you could complain about the clueless or annoying agent, but to what end? You got exactly what you were eligible for, and even if they did let you pick from the PC section, you confirmed for yourself that you were not missing out on anything. Just not sure you'd be eligible for any sort of compensation since no harm, no foul.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

I should have been more clear.

I plan to rent a vehicle again in the future from the location. I would like to reserve a Luxury tier again to guarantee a certain class of vehicle.

If I do so and I am met with the same behavior from this location, what can I do?

Would a manage be able to resolve it?

Do I call corporate while on site?

When I was onsite and asked the agent to show me in writing, anywhere, their definition of ‘midsize, standard, and full’ she could not.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:10 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I should have been more clear.

I plan to rent a vehicle again in the future from the location. I would like to reserve a Luxury tier again to guarantee a certain class of vehicle.

If I do so and I am met with the same behavior from this location, what can I do?

Would a manage be able to resolve it?

Do I call corporate while on site?

When I was onsite and asked the agent to show me in writing, anywhere, their definition of ‘midsize, standard, and full’ she could not.
It's simple. If you book anything other than an ECAR, CCAR, or EXAR (Economy Special), and you see something in the PC section you like more than whatever you may have been assigned, just get in that vehicle and drive to the exit gate. The computer system will automatically recognize that you are a PC member and that the vehicle you picked is from the PC section and you would not be charged anything extra. Period. End of story. There's no need to speak with anyone. That's the beauty of Hertz Gold and Ultimate Choice. Skip the human interaction and just grab what you're entitled to. You'll be happy with the result.
cestmoi123 and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's simple. If you book anything other than an ECAR, CCAR, or EXAR (Economy Special), and you see something in the PC section you like more than whatever you may have been assigned, just get in that vehicle and drive to the exit gate. The computer system will automatically recognize that you are a PC member and that the vehicle you picked is from the PC section and you would not be charged anything extra. Period. End of story. There's no need to speak with anyone. That's the beauty of Hertz Gold and Ultimate Choice. Skip the human interaction and just grab what you're entitled to. You'll be happy with the result.
Ok, I will give this a try. Thank you, sir!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
The agent was either misinformed or was purposely misleading you. That said, while the PC section often has nice vehicles, it very rarely has anything as nice or nicer than a Mercedes 300S, so it's not like you missed out on anything.
Pretty sure he's referring to a Chrysler 300 S. There's no such thing as a "Mercedes 300S", at least in the US.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Pretty sure he's referring to a Chrysler 300 S. There's no such thing as a "Mercedes 300S", at least in the US.
Yes, Chrysler 300S.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:50 pm

So i have a doubt about UC. I am a plain Gold member. I made a booking for a Full size car (F). Ideally i should be picking up any car i like from the Gold lot or Full-Size section. However if i see a Full size (F or F6) car in PC/5-Star lot - can i pick it up without paying anything extra ? Reason why i ask is that i want to pickup a Dodge Charger which is classified as F or F6 in Hertz database but i have only seen it parked in 5 star / PC sections in both SJC & SFO. If i cant pick it up from those sections - whats another way to reserve them specifically ?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:39 pm

No, you can't pick from sections you're not eligible for regardless of the car class. Much of the time they're filled with FCARs anyway, but the idea is that they're higher-quality ones (lower mileage, higher trim, etc).

Checked my receipts from last time I got a Charger and the GT is an F while R/T is an F6.

I would guess that outside the status sections your options are either to chance upon them in the Gold/Full Size sections or ask at the Gold desk if they have any they can give you.
AutoSlash likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.