Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: cestmoi123
Wiki Link
Moderator's Note [please do not edit this text] - Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Luxury/Prestige/Adrenaline car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Table below courtesy of @Cestmoi123 - many thanks!

Detailed tables based on your Gold Rewards status:
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 16, 1:33 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Is it compact or midsize as the minimum? I had thought midsize or above...
It's a compact or above with Dollar and Thrifty (it was originally midsize or above when the Wild Card/Lock Low & Go thing was first introduced, but it changed to compact several years ago). Hertz doesn't actually specify but from the description, it looks like it literally could be anything they want to get rid of:

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 21, 16 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 21, 16, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
It's a compact or above with Dollar and Thrifty (it was originally midsize or above when the Wild Card/Lock Low & Go thing was first introduced, but it changed to compact several years ago). Hertz doesn't actually specify but from the description, it looks like it literally could be anything they want to get rid of:

Sorry, wasn't clear, I meant "isn't Ultimate Choice for midsize or up reservations?"
Old Dec 21, 16, 5:54 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear, I meant "isn't Ultimate Choice for midsize or up reservations?"
Yes it is supposed to be midsize (intermediate) or up but some have reported having a reservation for something smaller and getting to pick from any car in the row. Sour our writeup on Ultimate choice here.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 22, 16 at 6:18 pm
Old Dec 22, 16, 9:46 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Hertz doesn't actually specify but from the description, it looks like it literally could be anything they want to get rid of:

I had exactly that shown as A6 managers special - 2 passengers, one small suitcase... thinking it would be something cool & sporty - perhaps a corvette or a porsche that needed to go back one way, an SLK (one of my preferred rentals), or maybe a tesla given the reference to the emissions, so I booked it.
They tried to give me a bloody mini (group B!)
Old Dec 22, 16, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by leaveamessage View Post
I had exactly that shown as A6 managers special - 2 passengers, one small suitcase... thinking it would be something cool & sporty - perhaps a corvette or a porsche that needed to go back one way, an SLK (one of my preferred rentals), or maybe a tesla given the reference to the emissions, so I booked it.
I'd be quite surprised if anyone has ever gotten a Corvette or a Porsche with an EXAR reservation, but one can always dream!
Old Dec 22, 16, 9:55 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I wouldve expected Toyota Yaris.
Old Dec 22, 16, 10:21 am

Those are minimum criteria. Basically, booking Manager's Special is saying "I really don't care what you give me, so long as it runs, and it's cheap."
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:59 am

We believe this is the case, but we've never been able to find anywhere where it is definitively written. As per our writeup here you do need to book an ICAR or above to use the normal Gold Choice row, and Ultimate Choice is sort of an extension of Gold Choice, so it would seem to follow.
Just checked with Hertz, and they're saying that it's a midsize or above for a PC or 5* to use the PC or 5* Ultimate Choice area. So, basically the same as National's Emerald Aisle.
Old Dec 22, 16, 3:33 pm

Heard back from Hertz senior mgmt - the Twitter team was wrong (as we suspected). See later post for how it actually works. Deleted erroneous information.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Dec 23, 16 at 7:50 am Reason: Updated information
Old Dec 22, 16, 5:12 pm

I was going back and forth with Hertz on Twitter about the Ultimate Choice qualification, and this is what they're telling me:

The class you rented still controls what you're allowed to rent, even within the 5* and PC areas. You CAN'T just choose anything from the PC area if you're a PC.

Using a PC member as an example:

*Book Economy (A) or Compact (B): Choose any A or B car in the PC area, or the general compact area.

*Book Intermediate (C): Choose any C or D car in the PC area, or the general midsize area. Choosing anything above a D (including an F, G, or SUV) will require an upgrade fee.

*Book Fullsize (F): Choose anything F or below in the PC area. Choosing anything above an F (including a G, or SUV) will require an upgrade fee.

Now, if this is true, then Ultimate Choice is a LOT more restrictive than Gold Choice. Also, this basically makes the PC one-class upgrade a cap, rather than a floor. The days of "I booked F, but hey, there's an Impala/Grand Cherokee/Maxima in my Carfirmation" would be over.
I call baloney. This is not how it's advertised and not what is being presented to people when they book at an Ultimate Choice location. As well, I personally was not charged an upgrade fee taking a class G off the PC line on a class C reservation.

Whoever has the password to the Hertz Twitter account is clearly unfamiliar with their own product.
Old Dec 22, 16, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm also skeptical - Twitter team making things up? - but that's going to cause huge issues if someone books F and they sell out of F.

The reality is that they're never going to manage an entire day's reservations, anywhere, without upgrading at least one PC from a C/D to an F.

Also, the examples given suggest that B and D don't actually qualify for any upgrade at all, any more.
Old Dec 22, 16, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Whoever has the password to the Hertz Twitter account is clearly unfamiliar with their own product.
Unfortunately, it's quite common for agencies to handle all sorts of accounts about which they know very little. I'm grateful for companies like Delta that staff in house and are actually responsive.
Old Dec 22, 16, 6:02 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
I call baloney. This is not how it's advertised and not what is being presented to people when they book at an Ultimate Choice location. As well, I personally was not charged an upgrade fee taking a class G off the PC line on a class C reservation.

Also, how are customers supposed to know which class are the cars in the PC area? (I know there are ways, but it just doesn't seem practical for the average customer, especially if you don't know the price to upgrade). It doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with what people have reported so far.
Old Dec 22, 16, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
Also, how are customers supposed to know which class are the cars in the PC area? (I know there are ways, but it just doesn't seem practical for the average customer, especially if you don't know the price to upgrade). It doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with what people have reported so far.
Yes, that is the rub. There's no breakdown within the PC area, and the hangtags on the mirrors were simply marked "President's Circle." It would be ridiculous to expect customers to hunt and peck in each vehicle to find the keys and decipher the class codes to know whether they can pick that car.

Also, they're obviously rolling this out to compete with National's Executive Selection concept, and National doesn't discriminate by class, either: if it's on the aisle, you can take it. Same concept is being relayed here: if it's in the PC area, you can take it.

I'd take what they said on Twitter about as seriously as I would a rental agent telling me to buy the insurance.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 22, 16 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 22, 16, 6:09 pm

Not directly related to the topic at hand, but interesting nonetheless:

Ultimate Choice Rep (O'Hare)

I especially liked this part:

The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following such as sitting, standing, speaking, hearing, writing, typing, filing, seeing, and reading.
Don't apply unless you are well versed in sitting and standing!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: