Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's not weird at all. I always do this, and I suspect many others do as well. Those of us who rent cars often have at one time or another been accused of causing damage that was already there when you picked up the vehicle. Best to not any dings, scratches, etc. on the rental form to avoid surprised at the end of the rental. It literally takes 30 seconds to do a quick walk around the vehicle.

Yup. I do it every rental. And any minor to major issues I photograph.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Yup. I do it every rental. And any minor to major issues I photograph.
This
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
It's not worth it. I've pulled out my cell phone and said "Look at the date/time. This is when I picked it up." This is after being asked to fill out of damage/incident report. Not on my watch mr. check-in agent.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
It's not worth it. I've pulled out my cell phone and said "Look at the date/time. This is when I picked it up." This is after being asked to fill out of damage/incident report. Not on my watch mr. check-in agent.
I either do a video walk-around or take photos from all directions, being sure to include some obvious indication that I am inside the rental lot (such as making sure the parking stall number with rental company logo is in the frame). That way, they can't even accuse you of falsifying the date/time of the photo.
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
My father tells a story that, many years ago, he was in line at Hertz in Phoenix behind a gentleman who, when offered a Chevy of some sort, said "can't take that, I'm going to the Ford proving ground." He was then offered an Oldsmobile, at which point he repeated "I'm going to the FORD proving ground." They found him a Taurus.
Shortly after a fresh shipment of Suzuki Grand Vitaras came in to replace our aging Intermediate SUV fleet of Jeep Liberties, I rented a midsize SUV to a guy who was mortified when I tried to give him a brand-new Grand Vitara. He said, "I can't show up at a union event in a foreign car! They'll kill me." I think he had to wait half an hour for us to find and clean up a Jeep with 20,000 miles on it...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
The days are gone when you used to get a sheet with the damage marked on it.

I normally take a stroll round in the stall, but hard to show every minor mark in a photo. Usually the lighting is so poor as well.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:42 pm

"The days are gone when you used to get a sheet with the damage marked on it. "
Still stand practice in Europe - where damage control is way stricter than N America. Always pay close attention to the existing damage sheet when renting in Europe.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
In CLT yesterday half the Gold Service stalls were empty, some vehicles were u/s (dirty, dead battery, no key...). Spent twenty minutes traipsing round looking for a bog standard car with a GPS.

Give me an assigned car in a bay anyday. I just want the wheels I ordered....
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alphaod
The only weird thing was the guy in the front of me in the exit lane insisted on a doing a walk around. Everyone was bewildered.
It's not weird at all. I always do this
I thought it was clear from alphaod's post he meant the person was doing it in the checkout lane and holding up other customers to do it, which is not appropriate in my opinion. You should do the walk around before you're in the exit lane.
Originally Posted by jackal
Shortly after a fresh shipment of Suzuki Grand Vitaras came in to replace our aging Intermediate SUV fleet of Jeep Liberties, I rented a midsize SUV to a guy who was mortified when I tried to give him a brand-new Grand Vitara. He said, "I can't show up at a union event in a foreign car! They'll kill me." I think he had to wait half an hour for us to find and clean up a Jeep with 20,000 miles on it...
Here in Kansas City the Ford UAW hall does not allow non-Union made vehicles to park in its parking lot, there was a news story a few years ago about a reporter who was refused parking in his Toyota Camry. I think they have even put up signs something like this since that article was written.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JuanAl
I did some new search on the hertz app and arrived to same rate on Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator (group p6) LFAR.
I believe I can acomodate six on those, the rate is around USD 600 for 16 days...
Will 6 people Plus 6 28" cases and like four carry one work on those SUVs??
I believe the only SUV you could possibly fit six 28" cases plus four carry-ons would be a Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition EL (Hertz Class T6). I don't believe a minivan could hold those ten bags.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Sidebar discussion moved to it's own thread

If you're looking for the discussion JuanAl started "looking to rent a minivan for my family vacation in Miami/Orlando", go to this new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...te-choice.html
Old May 4, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Quick question re: Ultimate Choice: I have a FRAR-reservation which probably will direct me to the Reserved Aisle, but can I take a peek into the PC-area to see if they have something nicer there? My so-far only UC experience at ORD was just mind-blowing: For my $50 mid-size rental I could pick almost everything you could imagine up to Escalades and several Mercedes sedans...

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 4, 2017, 8:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by djohannw
Quick question re: Ultimate Choice: I have a FRAR-reservation which probably will direct me to the Reserved Aisle, but can I take a peek into the PC-area to see if they have something nicer there? My so-far only UC experience at ORD was just mind-blowing: For my $50 mid-size rental I could pick almost everything you could imagine up to Escalades and several Mercedes sedans...

Greetings - Dirk
It's not officially written anywhere, but given that they're (not quite perfectly, but close enough) copying National's program, where we have many years of experiences documented on FT, and based on some other reports here, anything larger than class C still allows you to pull from the Ultimate Choice areas (for your given status level).

That said, it seems an aberration that anything much nicer than an FCAR or a small SUV is in the UC area, so I certainly wouldn't expect to repeat your previous ORD experience very often...
Old May 7, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle

That said, it seems an aberration that anything much nicer than an FCAR or a small SUV is in the UC area, so I certainly wouldn't expect to repeat your previous ORD experience very often...
From ORD, I've receive:

- Infinity Q60
- Infinity Q70
- SS Camaro Convertible (Silver)
- SS Camaro Convertible (Black)
- Jaguar XE

Why shouldn't we expect to receive anything greater than F cars at UC?

I've contemplated taking Escalades, CTSs, ATSs, Mercedes 250s, Q50s, 300s, Evoques, Discoverys, QX70s.

Granted, SUVs haven't been up there much lately, but it's been a fantastic selection at ORD.

I guess you've potentially come at bad times there.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Why shouldn't we expect to receive anything greater than F cars at UC?
I think I misread and was thinking it was the Gold or 5* aisles the OP had access to. PC is definitely a step up, but it still certainly isn't guaranteed (c.f. results in this very thread).
Old May 8, 2017, 4:35 pm

Hope I land on one randomly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.