Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

One Way Rental from SFO-LAX 2x that of LAX-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat

Why is it that one way from SFO-LAX has a daily rate of $123.99 but LAX-SFO is only $51.45? I guess you could say supply and demand but that just seems ridiculous.

Any tips on lowering this price or promo codes I can use for this one way rental?

Pickup SFO: 9/4 @ 9AM
Dropoff LAX: 9/5 @ 6PM

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Use points if you got any
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by leejl01
Why is it that one way from SFO-LAX has a daily rate of $123.99 but LAX-SFO is only $51.45? I guess you could say supply and demand but that just seems ridiculous.
Car rental companies often offer better one-way rates to locations that are short of cars and conversely, raise the rates for cars going the other way.

In places like Florida where demand varies by season, they have one-way "drive out" specials every spring.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is more common for tourists to fly into sfo and return from lax with north to south road trip in between.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SW, Hilton, Hertz, Dollar, National (new Fav)
If you can get yourself to Oakland Airport and go with Dollar, then you can get a car for about $85/day all-in.

Since you're doing 2-days and depending if you're staying locally in SF or LA, might want to trya nd break that into a single rental on the 1-way and then a local rental for 1-day.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:47 pm
Suspended

It's been that way for over 30 years. LAX-SFO car rentals are cheaper than SFO-LAX
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Box10
It's been that way for over 30 years. LAX-SFO car rentals are cheaper than SFO-LAX
Agree. For whatever reason, this imbalance has always been around. People always want to go to NorCal first and work their way south.

I have no idea why this is the case but it's always been that way.

Personally, I would much rather end my California trip on a highlight (NorCal) so I think the tradtional pattern gets it wrong.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Herb687
Agree. For whatever reason, this imbalance has always been around. People always want to go to NorCal first and work their way south.

I have no idea why this is the case but it's always been that way.

Personally, I would much rather end my California trip on a highlight (NorCal) so I think the tradtional pattern gets it wrong.
Driving south, you have the ocean next to you. Driving north, there's a lane of traffic between you and the ocean.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Driving south, you have the ocean next to you. Driving north, there's a lane of traffic between you and the ocean.
Unless you are driving by yourself or in a UK-spec car, there's a right seat occupant blocking your view of the ocean on those southbound drives.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Herb687
Unless you are driving by yourself or in a UK-spec car, there's a right seat occupant blocking your view of the ocean on those southbound drives.
Hopefully the driver isn't the main sight-seer in most cars traveling winding coastal roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.