Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:30 pm

Thank you for all your opinions, I just hope this ends well for me. I already changed two cars after driving on dirt roads so I guess I'll figure it out what they want me to pay.

Last edited by heubergen; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:38 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
OP: are you sure you caused the damage on the dirt road? I've had plenty of instances where I ran over something on the road (stick, can, etc) and I'm sure t cause damage and when I pull off there isn't any. Do you have pics of when you picked it up?

on the dirt road thing. If it's a city, county, state, whatever dirt road you'll be fine. What they are trying to prevent is off-roading on trails and whatever else. This is mostly old language that wouldn't hold up if it ever went to court BUT a lot of rentals these days have GPS tracking in them which is fairly easy to back audit if you took the thing through a woods rally course...
strickerj and heubergen like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:18 pm

I needed some help when I started this thread and you helped me by reply to it, thank you for that! It was just some splash guard damaged and there were no actual body damage so I guess I was very lucky The garage didn't even charge me for ripping of the plastic so beside some other damage I'm shouldn't be charged. @ucfjoe: Yes, I heard something, stopped the car half a mile later and saw the new damage.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heubergen
I needed some help when I started this thread and you helped me by reply to it, thank you for that! It was just some splash guard damaged and there were no actual body damage so I guess I was very lucky The garage didn't even charge me for ripping of the plastic so beside some other damage I'm shouldn't be charged. @ucfjoe: Yes, I heard something, stopped the car half a mile later and saw the new damage.
OK. What I thought it would be.
Has the splash guard been refitted? Hertz may notice if it is missing.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
OK. What I thought it would be.
Has the splash guard been refitted? Hertz may notice if it is missing.
No, they didn't had the parts and I was in hurry to get to my next hotel. The garage told me an interesting story about the splash guard at this car; apparently there was already some damage from previous "accident" (I took pictures) so if Hertz wanna charge me anything I can tell them this story.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think the rental agreement states you won't drive the car on non-paved roads...

Take pictures of everything before you return the car and keep your mouth shut when you return it.
And if you do drive on non-paved roads, do not shout out about in the public forums!

Hertz's AI mines data from these forums too
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:12 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Firstboss
And if you do drive on non-paved roads, do not shout out about in the public forums!

Hertz has AI?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Well somehow I needed to know what to do, right? I spared all details I could for my safety and also that Hertz is unable to identify me, but there are things you needed to know in order to help me.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OK, Mulder...so what?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by heubergen
Well somehow I needed to know what to do, right? I spared all details I could for my safety and also that Hertz is unable to identify me, but there are things you needed to know in order to help me.
Sure, but the off-road part isn't really relevant to the story, unless you registered with either the rental company or the authorities the location of the damage.
Anything you do online is identifiable. Of course it won't matter for a minor insurance case like this one, but "everything you say can be used against you in court"

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Hertz has AI?
LOL
Hertz probably doesn't.
However, data scientists are employed at all kinds of places you wouldn't expect. All companies collect every piece of data they can trying to mine something profitable from there
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:12 pm

Sure, but the off-road part isn't really relevant to the story, unless you registered with either the rental company or the authorities the location of the damage.
Anything you do online is identifiable. Of course it won't matter for a minor insurance case like this one, but "everything you say can be used against you in court"
You're probably right, I just didn't had any idea what the damage was and I tried to describe what happened with the hope that somebody could give me a clue what damage I got and how severe it is.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:15 am

Help - Hertz Accident

Hello,

Hoping to get your advise/knowledge on our situation.
We were on a holiday in turkey and had a terrible accident (waiting to turn left in the central reservation area), other car did not see us (texting or on phone) and rear ended us on the left. In Turkey two groups of police the Jandarma came to the scene. I was unfortunately taken to the hospital along with my little one and it resulted in fractured ribs. Upon returning to the police station, they told us no one was at fault. However, the incident report that was sent in by Hertz from traffic police (different group) is stating we are at fault.

My agreement with Hertz included CDW and I also had excess cover with AXA.
What are my rights and any suggestions on what I should do?

We are all safe and now back in the UK.

Thanks,
Sue
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would contact AXA and let it know about the potential claim and give it all the details

You shouldn't need to worry too much over who claims who is at fault since you are covered

How much is the excess that is being covered by AXA
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
You were rear ended while waiting to turn, and they declared you at fault? Am I missing something?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by strickerj
You were rear ended while waiting to turn, and they declared you at fault? Am I missing something?
I think that you are missing the fact that it is irrelevant in relation to the car hire.

Regardless of whose fault an accident was, the renter is the one liable to Hertz for the damage.

Without full details of the event with reports from both parties, not going to be able to tell whose driving caused the accident - it is quite possible to be stationary and be the one at fault for causing an accident if another vehicle hits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.