Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The renter makes the assertion of eligibility which is very different to determining whether eligible

Most people don't lie I suspect
Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ijgordon
So now the renter gets to determine eligibility? Nice.
Nope. The renter makes a positive assertion that he or she is eligible. If that assertion is untrue, it's the renter's responsibility.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:10 am

My not-a-lawyer thoughts which could be right, wrong, or completely wrong:

- Leave a bigger gap in traffic (being a Prius driver helps here, as any gap is more regenerative braking for me )

- Use a credit card with a lower limit to prevent Hertz automatically deducting money (other than the mandatory security deposit)

- If Hertz sold the OP a product (CDW) that he was not eligible for due to Hertz's failure to verify eligibility, at which point does the onus go onto Hertz for not doing so?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
It should hold up just fine. There's a contract where the renter says "I'm entitled to use code XYZ." The renter is making an affirmative statement of eligibility.
The exact text is
"You Represent That You Are Specifically Authorized to Receive The Benefits Extended To Employees/Members Of XXXXXX"

(Whoever Put That Into The Contract Obviously Likes Caps!)

Apparently a membership in the International Brotherhood of Magic (more commonly known as the I.B.M.) is only $60/year...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:25 am

OP, any updates yet?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Some prior posters are correct. The onus CANNOT be on the renter to determine their eligibility unless there is an express consent to the terms of the discount code. Merely stating that you certify that you are authorized to use the code is insufficient. Where are the complete eligibility terms posted? Can IBM employees use the code for vacations? Can contractors or prospective employees travelling to IBM locations use the code? Is it a condition of the code to travel with your corporate ID (I don't take mine on vacations)? OP should have just said he was on vacation and didn't have it with him and this probably would have been a non-issue unless IBM provides some of the insurance coverage or guarantees the rental.

Because everyone, including a judge and court jury know that discount codes may be passed around the Internet and be separated from any accompanying text, it cannot be expected or relied upon for the user to know what text might have accompanied the text in its original place of publication.

Furthermore, it cannot be expected that a user knows that the character string 'IBM' represents a corporate discount code that he/she may not be eligible for. The code might as well by XYZZY. Can Internet users be relied upon to thoroughly investigate the origins and terms of every discount code they encounter before trying to use them? No of course not.

Bottom line is that if it is a material importance to Hertz to ensure that only 'authorized' users use the code, Hertz must do more than they did to ensure that happens.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azmojo
.......Because everyone, including a judge and court jury know that discount codes may be passed around the Internet and be separated from any accompanying text, it cannot be expected or relied upon for the user to know what text might have accompanied the text in its original place of publication.....
Baffling logic.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some prior posters are correct. The onus CANNOT be on the renter to determine their eligibility unless there is an express consent to the terms of the discount code. Merely stating that you certify that you are authorized to use the code is insufficient. Where are the complete eligibility terms posted? Can IBM employees use the code for vacations? Can contractors or prospective employees travelling to IBM locations use the code? Is it a condition of the code to travel with your corporate ID (I don't take mine on vacations)? OP should have just said he was on vacation and didn't have it with him and this probably would have been a non-issue unless IBM provides some of the insurance coverage or guarantees the rental.

Because everyone, including a judge and court jury know that discount codes may be passed around the Internet and be separated from any accompanying text, it cannot be expected or relied upon for the user to know what text might have accompanied the text in its original place of publication.

Furthermore, it cannot be expected that a user knows that the character string 'IBM' represents a corporate discount code that he/she may not be eligible for. The code might as well by XYZZY. Can Internet users be relied upon to thoroughly investigate the origins and terms of every discount code they encounter before trying to use them? No of course not.

Bottom line is that if it is a material importance to Hertz to ensure that only 'authorized' users use the code, Hertz must do more than they did to ensure that happens.
Good luck with that.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
I am more than happy to pay insurance premium after I had an accident.
Sort of like Obamacare.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

This is a very strange argument. When you use a code, you explicitly make the positive statement that you're eligible to use the code. You're not saying "as far as I know, I'm not ineligible to use this code," you state that you ARE eligible. If you're uncertain if you are eligible (such as if you "found the code on the Internet"), then you shouldn't be affirmatively stating that you are eligible.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:18 am

Ignorance is bliss, but it does not stand up in court. Saying you didn't know you were ineligible, will do absolutely nothing in a court of law when the contract has explicit terms around discount codes and included benefits for rate codes.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:27 pm

We've had 7 pages of conjecture so far and nothing definitive
Old Feb 5, 2017, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Often1
Basically this guy committed a fraud which may well wind him up in a hopeless financial situation in this country in order to beat Hertz out of approximately $4. Lesson learned?
This is so unfortunate because the original poster saved $4 but then paid quite a bit in LDW and LIS. I have a legitmate CDP number that gives a moderate discount but not the biggest one available and then I don't get CDW or other option coverage. The main danger I see is the possibility of being charged "loss of use by the company" that may or may not be covered.

On the other hand, I have rented over 100 times without a rental car accident. Usually, I can prevent braking errors but cannot always prevent others from running into my car.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Rubbish.

It is 100% the renter's responsibility to determine that he meets the qualifications for any discount he asserts. If he has to do research to make certain, then he has to do it. If the renter can't be certain, he should not make the claim.

This is the Internet, so you can say anything you want. In Fantasyland, you can believe anything you want. But, try this in court and you will wind up with a judgment against you which is good for 20 years.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Possible to use any CDP ?

Hi, I know that I can use any CDP that I can find on the web. Can the counter agent check at the time of pickup if I can use this PDC? (Amex flat for example?).
What to do in case of accident or car injury? Will they check and what can happen?
THX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.