Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Filed a claim with Chase before dropping off the car by calling the Benefits administrator line. I’ll submit the other party’s note and insurance info to Chase using the claim form. When I got to the HLE, I had to point out the damage and ended up getting stuck at the location for 45 minutes to complete the incident report because they were so swamped (understaffed).

Lets see how how this plays out. Thanks everyone! Super thankful for the dude who bumped into my bumper for being honest and cooperative. Could have been a hit-and-run. I guess there’s still good left in humanity.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
Filed a claim with Chase before dropping off the car by calling the Benefits administrator line. I’ll submit the other party’s note and insurance info to Chase using the claim form. When I got to the HLE, I had to point out the damage and ended up getting stuck at the location for 45 minutes to complete the incident report because they were so swamped (understaffed).

Lets see how how this plays out. Thanks everyone! Super thankful for the dude who bumped into my bumper for being honest and cooperative. Could have been a hit-and-run. I guess there’s still good left in humanity.
Hope you took several pictures of the damage, as Chase will want those.
Auto Enthusiast and ab2013 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by guv1976
Hope you took several pictures of the damage, as Chase will want those.
Yup! This isn’t my first claim with a rental company - had an accident where someone rearended my National rental 5 years ago. The difference was that I was still in college and covered by my parents’ AAA insurance policy because I had a car in college. Funny... now that I’m working full-time, I don’t even have a car.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013

Yup! This isn’t my first claim with a rental company - had an accident where someone rearended my National rental 5 years ago. The difference was that I was still in college and covered by my parents’ AAA insurance policy because I had a car in college. Funny... now that I’m working full-time, I don’t even have a car.
OT, but if you don't own a car, what do you do for third-party liability coverage when you rent? Do you buy the SLI from the rental-car company? Have your own non-owned-auto liability policy? Just roll the dice?
Joonydell likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:42 pm

This is an old thread, but it addresses the exact question I was about to ask.

Based on this thread, I'm going to change my reservations from the IBM CDP to the AAA CDP.

The AAA discount is actually better, but the IBM discount includes the LDW. Apparently, that addition benefit is basically worthless if you're not an actual IBM employee.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by plam1365
This is an old thread, but it addresses the exact question I was about to ask.

Based on this thread, I'm going to change my reservations from the IBM CDP to the AAA CDP.

The AAA discount is actually better, but the IBM discount includes the LDW. Apparently, that addition benefit is basically worthless if you're not an actual IBM employee.
You aren't? So why are you trying to use the discount code? I find this mystifying.

Post #33 in this thread has a screenshot clearly showing the IBM CDP is for the use of IBM employees. (What a surprise eh!) Why would anyone else think they COULD use it..or that if they DID they would be covered as if they were? I am seriously seeking information here.... are the folks who use whatever discount codes they can find actually prepared to accept the consequences when things go wrong..or...what?
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.

Last edited by trooper; May 30, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posting in this thread since its probably relevant.

Rented a car from Hertz LAX last week. Returned the car on Monday, and the agent noted scratch damage on the front driver side bumper. Only issue is, there was never an incident - there was no contact with another vehicle, curb, etc....at least not while we were in the car. I didn't even know there was anything until the agent noted it on return. My wife and kids were with me at all times when driving and can verify (well, kids are too young, but my wife can). The agent said they needed to file an incident report, and told me to note that I am denying knowledge of the damage, and that I wasn't in an accident, which I did. Like I said, there wasn't any contact with anything while we were in the car. My only thoughts are a) someone scraped the side of the bumper when we were parked, and left the scene without a note (based on the way the scratches were, and lacking any dent, it feels like any contact was done at very slow speed, and around the curvature of the front, perhaps it was someone turning out of or into a parking spot, or b) the damage was there when I picked up the car, but neither I nor the check out agent noticed. I think it must have been scenario a - I probably would have noticed the damage when I picked up the car, but to be honest, I wasn't checking that closely since my kids (4 and 1) were screaming while we were trying to get going, so we were trying to get going quickly. I imagine in scenario b - the agent at the gate should have noted It also - there were several scratches, so was pretty visible as long as you were looking roughly in the right direction.

I did take a picture (though only 1) while the incident report was being filed. I do have CSR and paid the fees I owed with it, however, Chase is telling me I'm not covered since the whole amount wasn't on the card - I did have a $63+ charge for a car seat and taxes which was on the card. I usually rent directly from Hertz - but this time, used UA miles to cover the rental cost (I know....not the best use, but it was easy at the time, the rental was pretty pricey in cash...and I didn't realize it supposedly invalidate Chase rental coverage - I have filed trip cancelation claims, which only require a portion of the charge to be on the card). I do have personal car insurance which should cover me, but really hesitate to use it unless I have no choice.

Right now, I'm waiting....Hertz says they send this to claims, and they will call me back about 5 days after the car was returned (I assume business days, so that would be Monday). Any idea what happens from there? I did try to call to find out, but they told me I have to wait. I do rent from Hertz maybe 2 - 4 times a year for the last several years, and have never returned a car in a different state than when it was rented out - not sure if that helps, but it also means I am completely new to this kind of thing. I also have a feeling that even though I wasn't in the car at the time of any damage, they are going to say I am responsible (haven't read the full rental agreement in a long time, but I assume that's in there).

Any thoughts as this process plays out, or tips for dealing with Hertz as this process moves forward?

Originally Posted by xeron72
You're not at fault in the accident so don't bother filing a claim with Chase. Report the accident to the HLE and put down the insurance information from the other person on the vehicle incident report. I would suggest reaching out to the person- at least they were nice enough to leave you a note. Also, make a copy of the note and keep it somewhere safe. There's no reason to try to hide this from Hertz, you're not at fault and everything should be paid for by the other person's insurance
I'd say they were good to leave a note - in my situation above, I didn't get anything from anyone, leaving me wondering where and how this could have happened.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Twice lax agents claimed we caused damage - once windshield chip another some scrape and one other time they charged us for quarter tank of gas. We routinely rent to/from lax as this is covered by corporate rate for a rather short 30 mi ride and the likelihood of us causing damage is low (let alone using quarter tank of gas. They were hostile and dismissive. Of course it is imposdible to take pics or check thoroughly if it is dark outside.

Smth changed in lax management and customer service recently so i would be very cautious with rentals there.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Posting in this thread since its probably relevant.

Somebody probably dinged it while you were parked and didn't leave a note. Unfortunately without someone to blame, the cost is on you, same as it would be if someone did that to your personal car.

Read the terms and conditions for your specific credit card. Some cards will cover flight-related costs if you only charge a portion but rental car coverage is stricter because tens of thousands of dollars are at stake (versus a few hundred for a typical flight).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, the issue has nothing to do with who caused the damage, it has to do with who is responsible for the damage. That is the renter and it is for the renter to recover from whatever insurance he chooses to purchase in this case.

Not worth getting bothered about whether you or your wife knew of the damage as you are equally responsible if you did know of it, if you caused it or somebody damaged the car when you were not in it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There seems to be no dispute that the damage was there when the car was returned
As mentioned, it doesn't matter how the damage was caused, you are accountable for any damage found on return that wasn't noted when taking the car 00

At the moment, I would wait and see how much Hertz bills for the damage and itemise what it relates to

If there is a small scratch and it claims several days loss of use cost, that can be challenged

If you have coverage that will help you ( e.g. insurance or a rental car cover ) I would contact it in regards to making a claim

You may well not be responsible, but you are accountable for the damage
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
The comments above are missing the point - OP didn’t notice it to be large enough to be considered damage but rather just wear and tear whereas the Hertz agent believes it to be significant enough to be damage. That’s the bottom line - not whether he’s liable or not.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jim32190
The comments above are missing the point - OP didn’t notice it to be large enough to be considered damage but rather just wear and tear whereas the Hertz agent believes it to be significant enough to be damage. That’s the bottom line - not whether he’s liable or not.
scaratches are not wear and tear, but damage

The OP stated " I probably would have noticed the damage when I picked up the car, but to be honest, I wasn't checking that closely " - that also suggests that the damage wasn't there at time of pickup and was noticeable damage
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 22, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jim32190
Bottom line, if OP didn't document it as present when he picked the car up, he owns it.

I take lots of pictures and I have every bit of dirt that might cover a scratch documented.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
scaratches are not wear and tear, but damage

The OP stated " I probably would have noticed the damage when I picked up the car, but to be honest, I wasn't checking that closely " - that also suggests that the damage wasn't there at time of pickup and was noticeable damage
Sure, but the Damage Evaluator that National uses to ascertain whether something is damage or wear and tear errs on the side of W&T for the most part - imagine, a scuff the size of a dollar bill or a dent less than two inches on the bumper that has not perforated the frame of the bumper, is considered wear and tear. Granted, this is Hertz and we don't have a photo of the 'damage' so we don't know how large or deep said scratches are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.