Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Non Platepass (EZPass) toll transponder in Hertz vehicle

Old Jul 16, 16, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

In this weeks Hertz rental, in the usual place, instead of the the Platepass transponder with the sliding door, was a smaller EZPass transponder without a sliding door.

I paid tolls (Dulles Tollway) several times at toll lanes that were also EZPass lanes. I wonder what will show up on my credit card?

My guess is that someone left their personal transponder in their rental vehicle. On the other hand I wouldn't put it past Hertz to try something without telling us like direct Hertz billing to EZPass.

Anybody have any idea of what was happening here?
Old Jul 16, 16, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have left my personal EZ Pass in a rental before (although in my case, I left it in the center console and not stuck on the windshield). I try to remember to take it down as soon as I clear my last toll and give it to my wife to hold.
Old Jul 17, 16, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brattflyer View Post
....My guess is that someone left their personal transponder in their rental vehicle...
This. I left mine once; realized it after 15 minutes and had to go to car wash area to retrieve it. Previous owner of your vehicle may not have realized it or had cancelled it.
Old Jul 18, 16, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
It's probably a personal E-Zpass. To be honest, I'm not sure what the protocol for a forgotten E-ZPass in a toll transponder even is.

The read order is toll tag, then license plate if that read fails. (I had a family member go on the NYS Thruway on July 2nd, didn't realize that the E-ZPass wasn't on the windshield, got a red light and "CALL EZPASS" while going through the toll). I put the plate of the car (personal vehicle) on the account over the holiday weekend and the charge eventually posted without penalty/violation on July 9th, listing the plate of the car instead of the transponder number).

If the person didn't deactivate the E-Zpass - it'll come out of their account balance.
If the person did - when the transponder runs up as inactive, they'll likely look at the video of the toll and charge the plate instead.
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
If the person didn't deactivate the E-Zpass - it'll come out of their account balance.
If the person did - when the transponder runs up as inactive, they'll likely look at the video of the toll and charge the plate instead.
But OP did say he paid cash while going through the tolls, just that the cash lane ALSO had EZ-pass sign. I am GUESSING that if the transponder was active, the cashier would have mentioned that the toll was already paid and he should just move on?
Old Jul 18, 16, 9:57 pm

On a recent rental, I found an E-ZPass transponder in the center console area. Thinking it might have been someone's personal transponder, I went back inside to the Hertz desk and asked. The CSR looked up the number on her computer and told me that it actually was one of theirs.

As it turned out, there was also a PlatePass transponder in the glove compartment. I didn't use either one, preferring to use my own.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: