Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas Refill in Portland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Gas Refill in Portland

Yes, I know I should refill the tank before returning the car if I'm conscientious about costs. I didn't have time this weekend returning my car to Portland Airport (Oregon). But $5.29 per gallon? Is this the going rate these days? Yikes! (And I thought I was doing so well with my $20 off weekend coupon.....).
Old Jul 7, 2003, 8:52 am

Do you have any kind of elite status with Hertz? This happened to me once in PHX with Avis. I called and explained nicely that while the charge was legit, the $/gallon was way out of line.
They were nice enough to reverse the entire charge.
May be worth a phone call to Hertz.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 9:47 am
Original Member

That is the going rate for Hertz.

QL
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:24 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QuietLion:
That is the going rate for Hertz.

QL
</font>
Not in Canada, it is only $2.49 a litre

Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
If you don't think you can refuel the car before you return it, it is always better to do the Fuel Purchase Option at time of rental.

In general, I find the FPO price to be within five cents of the prices in the local area, and of course, it is about 25% of what the Refueling Charge rate is.

If I know the area, I will manually refuel nearby. But if it is the first time I have been in a city, I always do FPO. I could return the car with half a tank, and it would still be cheaper than paying Hertz to fill 1/8th of a tank if I mistime "fuel burn" back to the airport after topping off.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 07-07-2003).]
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Well for SEATAC, I fill it up at ARCO near the 167 in KENT. It stays full by the time you reach the airport. Much lower in cost than what they charge near the airport for buying a tank!

$2.49 CAD /Liter is expensive. We all know it fluctuates at .69 to .85 (CAD) /Liter at a station. Plus there are more than 2 liters per gallon (metrics x too old US measurments plus the CAD is overvalued....should be at 1.58 per $1 USD).

I saw, watch out for renting cars with tanks *not* full! Make sure they fill 'em before leaving. Happened twice.

SHADO

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 07-07-2003).]
Old Jul 7, 2003, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Shado I know $2.49 a litre is expensive. I just wanted to highlight that we don't buy gallons on this side of the border. Still get hosed though on refueling charges.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I rent from SEA all the time, and I fill up at the Union 76 on the corner of 200th and International Avenue. Then just motor down a few blocks and I'm at SEA.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:04 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
I agree with the first reply. Call Hertz and see if they will buy whatever great story you can come up with. Other than that, you just found out about gas stations in other airports and the fuel option program, etc. Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:23 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It's not like they don't tell you when you picked up the car.

That fuel charge has always been clearly posted at every Hertz I've ever been to!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Well, my only defense is that I had Gold service and so didn't see any sign with the rates. I'm not asking for a refund...just it's been so long since I've had to pay for gas direct from Hertz it seemed like a high markup. The questions was to find out if this was a standard gallon rate these days. I appreciate all of the information.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (7yrs); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
If you don't think you can refuel the car before you return it, it is always better to do the Fuel Purchase Option at time of rental.
</font>
Good call. At a SF local edition, the FPO prices were actually $0.20/gallon cheaper than the local gas stations.

Another trick (from multiple experiences at SFO). If you select the FPO and keep your mileage under 80 miles for the rental, they will only charge you for the fuel used at FPO price (based on miles driven)...not the full tank. Not a bad option.

[This message has been edited by RedEye2003 (edited 07-09-2003).]
Old Jul 10, 2003, 7:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
The problem at PDX is that there are NO gas stations anywhere near the airport. Having done this many a time:

If you are traveling North to the airport, that the exit BEFORE the airport, there is a shell station just eat of the intersection.

If you are traveling south (from WA) pass the airport exit and go the next exit and turn left over the freeway. Look for the shell station.

Easy access back to the freeway and subsequent next exit, airport.

HTH
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:04 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL Platinum:
The problem at PDX is that there are NO gas stations anywhere near the airport. Having done this many a time:

If you are traveling North to the airport, that the exit BEFORE the airport, there is a shell station just eat of the intersection.

If you are traveling south (from WA) pass the airport exit and go the next exit and turn left over the freeway. Look for the shell station.

Easy access back to the freeway and subsequent next exit, airport.

HTH
</font>

DL: Thanks for posting this.

There are a lot of airports where you just "assume" there is gonna be a gas station at the airport exit...haha.

Sacramento, my home airport, didn't have a gas station for several years. I wanted to pay Caltrans to put up a sign at the Richards Blvd Exit, about 4-5 miles south of the airport, saying "last gas before airport" just to save my fellow travelers the grief and expense of returning the car to the airport, and finding no gas stations within miles.

Fortunately, Arco put a station in a few years ago...it's now a very popular place to hang out while you're waiting for inbound PAX...that way you don't have to deal with the cops that keep chasing you away from the terminal.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:19 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
Sounds like we can use a thread for most conveniently located gas stations before turning in the rental car...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.