Wiki Posts
Search

Prez Circle upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton, Hertz, Enterprise
Prez Circle upgrade

I am Prez Circle and recently rented a car in Hawaii for a week. Reserved fullsize (F) and when I got there they had a 21k miles filthy Buick Century waiting for me.

I mentioned that as Prez Circle I thought I was entitled to an upgrade, and they told me that this WAS an upgrade! Turns out that the Buick was a YF (specialty). Not sure who considers a Buick a specialty, must be the same guy who made the Cavalier a midsize.

Isn't the upgrade supposed to be to Premium?

They offered a Mustang convertible or a Jeep but with 4 people neither of those was too attractive.

The only other vehicles they had there were 3 Lincoln LS and 1 Ford Escape (yes, the lot was barren!)

Anyhow they gave me the Lincoln LS for an additional $17 per day but I am going to write Hertz a letter to maybe get that back. I would think that as PC they would have upgraded me to that one anyhow. Am I wrong?

SteveH
Old Jun 23, 2003, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I hate the Buick's as well. In fact, I hate any GM vehicle Hertz has. The seats feel like a cheap foam cushion, and the driving ergonomics are the worst.

I think Lincoln LS is a Prestige vehicle, so an upgrade may or may not be appropriate depending on vehicle availability.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 1:48 pm

While I really have enjoyed Hertz as a PC member I have a real bugaboo about the whole YF thing. It's a scam to me to avoid giving a proper upgrade. I have only had it happen twice but it sure rubs you the wrong way.

I have received 2 Lincoln LS's and at least a dozen Volvo's as upgrades on F rentals in something like 20 rentals. I would write and ask for the money back especially if the only car they could offer you was what you described.

I rented in HNL one night so I only booked a compact and got a sunfire (ooohhhhh). I didn't care as I was there only 6 hours and drove to the beach and back. They were very short of cars that night as well.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Just a plain gold, but received my first YF - a Taurus SES - at BUF last week (I booked G - Premium). Fortunately, I ended up only taking 4 folks instead of 5, but I have to say that after three days in it I was pretty pleased. Leather, sunroof (I am a fresh-air fiend - I love it when SEA gives me an Avalon XLS instead of the Crown Vic), and about as peppy as the Vic and, being a V6, a lot more fuel efficient than the V8.

Only rented the LS once and while I loved the engine, suspension, and sunroof - hands down that was the most uncomfortable and tightest driver's seat ever. I imagine the Hyundai Accel is more roomy.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
Only rented the LS once and while I loved the engine, suspension, and sunroof - hands down that was the most uncomfortable and tightest driver's seat ever. I imagine the Hyundai Accel is more roomy.</font>
Actually I have to agree with you about the LS. It is great for short trips around the city but I had to drive 400 miles one day and my back was almost broken by the time I got home. It was really bad.

I did love the Air Conditioned seats though. I have decided it's not really a luxury car anymore if the seats don't have a/c
Old Jun 23, 2003, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM
Regarding the F to YF upgrade, I have had not one, but two, city managers confirm that this is NOT a one class upgrade within the meaning of the program. After all, you cannot rent a YF or YG, just an F or G. According to these folks, if that is all they have, they are supposed to downgrade your rate to midsize and give you the YF. Just food for thought.

CWPFLY
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:12 am

If you dislike getting GM cars as much as I do, you can have Hertz put "no GM cars" in your rental profile. Ever since doing so, I haven't benn given one once.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Two facts re President's Circle upgrades (per Hertz):

1) in-class upgrades are not acceptable (such as Y to YF)
2) if a one-class upgrade is not available, then a two (or three...) class upgrade must be given.

I sent e-mails to Hertz Customer Relations about these issues last year and received responses that clearly outline Hertz's policies. While I've rarely needed to brandish the letters, it never hurts to have them on hand. Y'all might want to drop a line as well.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Hmm.. Suprized that they didn't give you the Escape at no up-charge, but not suprized that they did hit you with the up-charge for the LS.

Only rarely have I gotten or been able to talk my way into the LS/Volvo area without paying for it.

I always reserve a fullsize (Taurus) and almost always get upgraded to the premium. Though half of the time it is a Crown vic, at which I head back to the gold booth and begged for something else. Typical no charge exchange is the Avalon, Maxima, or Escape.

If you are at all dis-satisfied, write hertz. They WILL take care of you. At a very minimum, you'll get a $10 certificate. Given your situation, expect at least $100.

Good luck!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses...I'll let y'all know what happens.

Right now profile says "MAXIMA PREFERRED". I liked them so much that when my wife needed a new car we bought one.

SteveH
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL Platinum:
[B]Only rarely have I gotten or been able to talk my way into the LS/Volvo area without paying for it.else. Typical no charge exchange is the Avalon, Maxima, or Escape.

[B]</font>
I spent most of last year working in South Florida and always reserved midsize (class C). At FLL I was normally given either a Volvo or Jaguar. The "worst" I got was the good ole Maxima. I even got a Miata once (and never saw one there again - too bad, a blast to drive!)

SteveH
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:34 am

Has anyone compiled a list of classes and what cars are generally contained within that class?

Old Jun 30, 2003, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by installer:
Has anyone compiled a list of classes and what cars are generally contained within that class?</font>
I pretty much only rent Premium and that has been a Ford Crown Victoria or a Mercury Grand Marquis. The Toyota Avalon XLS is a YG (Specialty Premium) that I get at SEA (I just call the Gold Desk and they set one aside for me).

I've seen a Cadillac Seville at SEA, but I always get the Lincoln Town Car when I rent Luxury.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I've been a 5* for 2 years and the main reason I haven't moved my Avis/Budget business over to Hertz is that the one class upgrades seem to have gone from "buy a F, get a G" class to "buy a F, get a YF, maybe"

Gee, I could get a YF car sometimes as a regular #1 Gold member. It does sound like marketing has one idea and individual Hertz locations have a widely different idea of how to run the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.