Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz is about to DNR me for putting too many miles on cars...hmm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Well, I dont know if anyone here remembers me but I used to brag about putting TONS of miles on their cars. Sometimes I would rent a car for one day and put 1100 miles on it one-waying to another airport if my flight got cancelled. Heck, one weekend I rented a Hertz weekend special compact car for 43.99 for 3 days and I put 3300 miles on it. Even then they never cared!

This ALL CHANGED when I just turned in my monthly rental I've had for over 4 months (renewed the contract every 30 days obviously). I put 19,000 miles on the car in 120 days...and the manager at the airport completely lost it. They said I've had notes in the computer almost every time I returned a car that it had excessive mileage unbeknownst to me. So, I'm in the "process" of being canned they just said today. Before they do finally get me on the computer, I'm renting a luxury vehicle for the weekend and taking a road trip 14 states away to piss them off even more.

Anyone else have this issue before? Or whats the worst mileage you've ever put on a car?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well maybe they shouldn't be advertising "unlimited miles" if they care so much about the mileage that people put onto the cars. While your miles,are certainly high for the duration of the rental, nothing outside of rental agreement and t&c. Ahh well Hertz, always fun
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by utahman
Before they do finally get me on the computer, I'm renting a luxury vehicle for the weekend and taking a road trip 14 states away to piss them off even more.
Since they are dumping you, this is one of the best responses as a goodbye present that you can leave with. Be sure to drop it off in some obscure location if possible where they won't know what to do with the car
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's frustrating...it's like a mobile carrier that advertises unlimited data with no fine print about throttling over a certain amount...yet throttles users anyway.

If they rent you a one-way between two cities 1100 miles apart, they shouldn't get upset about that. I've done some very long one-ways in a Hertz car. If the monthly rental had a limit, they should specify it upfront.

It sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too: be able to advertise unlimited, but in reality have a "secret" limit.

I know in the past I've had rentals with other agencies that had a 150 mile/day limit. Your 4 month 19k rental is right in that range.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pinniped
That's frustrating...it's like a mobile carrier that advertises unlimited data with no fine print about throttling over a certain amount...yet throttles users anyway.

If they rent you a one-way between two cities 1100 miles apart, they shouldn't get upset about that. I've done some very long one-ways in a Hertz car. If the monthly rental had a limit, they should specify it upfront.

It sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too: be able to advertise unlimited, but in reality have a "secret" limit.

I know in the past I've had rentals with other agencies that had a 150 mile/day limit. Your 4 month 19k rental is right in that range.
You just posted exactly what I was thinking. I'm really frustrated by companies that advertise "unlimited" something and then complain when people use too much, like in that recent all-you-can-eat buffet thread. What the...?

What Hertz (and these other companies) do is set a limit but then refuse to tell me what it is. If there is a limit, then tell me what it is so that I can stay within it! What's so hard about that?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Hertz added the excessive mileage policy a few years ago. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...e-mileage.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...cceptable.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...questions.html
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Totally reasonable. They've met their contractual obligations to you (given you unlimited miles on all your past rentals), but they've decided that, given the miles you put on the cars, you're not a profitable customer, and they no longer want to do business with you in the future. Fair enough.

Even if we assume that depreciation on a new-ish car is only 20c/mile (probably higher than that), then that $43.99 three day rental with 3300 miles lost Hertz about $600.

If that's at all typical, I can't blame them for deciding they no longer want you as a customer in the future.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Even if we assume that depreciation on a new-ish car is only 20c/mile (probably higher than that), then that $43.99 three day rental with 3300 miles lost Hertz about $600.
That seems high to me. Excess mileage on my personal car's lease is around 10c/mile and Hertz will be buying cars at such a discount, and selling them on or handing them back so early, that their depreciation (ignoring the costs of maintaining, storing, processing and funding the fleet) is probably a tiny fraction of that.

Nonetheless, if the information Hertz has about the OP is that he is not a profitable customer then, as long as they honor the terms of his existing rentals (or any right to refund) then I see no reason why they should be compelled to do business with him.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
Nonetheless, if the information Hertz has about the OP is that he is not a profitable customer then, as long as they honor the terms of his existing rentals (or any right to refund) then I see no reason why they should be compelled to do business with him.
It's just the lack of transparency that bothers me. I have no problem with rental agencies setting limits, or even for blacklisting renters for legitimate reasons. Just publish the what the limits are. That's all.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
It's just the lack of transparency that bothers me. I have no problem with rental agencies setting limits, or even for blacklisting renters for legitimate reasons. Just publish the what the limits are. That's all.
I doubt there are hard and fast limits, but rather an overall pattern of behavior.

If someone does 30 one-day rentals a year at full weekday rack rates, where 29 are driven 25 miles, and the 30th is driven 500 miles, that wouldn't likely be a problem.

Someone else who rents 30x a year, all at heavily-discounted weekend rates, and drives 400 miles for each rental, would probably be a customer not worth having.

Wouldn't make sense to ban the first customer because of one 500 mile rental, would make sense to ban the second even though he never drives 500 miles in a single day.

There's a lot of other stuff that goes into customer profitability, but average revenue per day and average revenue per mile driven have got to be significant factors.

I don't see how a rental car company could provide the transparency you're looking for without basically disclosing their entire customer valuation framework.

I don't see this as similar to wireless companies having hidden caps, since, in that case, they're still taking your money, but capping you without letting you know. If wireless company X said "you use a huge amount of data, we're not interested in having you as a customer - we aren't going to cap you this month, but when the month ends, we're not going to take your money anymore," that would be entirely fair.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
You just posted exactly what I was thinking. I'm really frustrated by companies that advertise "unlimited" something and then complain when people use too much, like in that recent all-you-can-eat buffet thread. What the...?

What Hertz (and these other companies) do is set a limit but then refuse to tell me what it is. If there is a limit, then tell me what it is so that I can stay within it! What's so hard about that?
As I note in my post above, it's not as simple as a "max X miles/day" cap.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Totally reasonable. They've met their contractual obligations to you (given you unlimited miles on all your past rentals), but they've decided that, given the miles you put on the cars, you're not a profitable customer, and they no longer want to do business with you in the future. Fair enough.
So by that logic if i keep buying cheap fares an airline may one day refuse to sell me a ticket?

Any chance of hotel cancelling my reservation since my past history was discounred stays during which i used a lot of water and ac power?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I support Hertz on this one. I worked in the rental car industry for three years and I also worked as an outside salesman for another two. Divorcing oneself from unprofitable or difficult customers is a decision that businesses have to make sometimes. Yes, by the letter of the law you did nothing wrong, but from Hertz's perspective the cost of doing business with you wasn't worth it to them so they've chosen to end their relationship with you. Harsh, yes, but see it from their perspective.

Also, please remember the age old rule that just because you can...doesn't mean you should.
jackal likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
As I note in my post above, it's not as simple as a "max X miles/day" cap.
I don't doubt that. But Hertz frequently advertises and sells "unlimited miles" so we think that there's no concern. If Hertz doesn't communicate with their customers about this or (any other factors) that go into their DNR decision until after that decision is made, then we have no way of knowing that it's even an issue for them. Not exactly a customer-friendly approach.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
I don't doubt that. But Hertz frequently advertises and sells "unlimited miles" so we think that there's no concern.
I don't think there is any vendor, let it be car rental, cellular provider or any other type that doesn't have a "fair usage policy" for anything that is "unlimited", so as long as you are being fair, it is of no concern.

If, within 4 months rental you are driving more than the yearly average, or in 3 days you do what other people do in 2 months, and then do it over and over again, it is far from being "fair".

Originally Posted by azepine00
So by that logic if i keep buying cheap fares an airline may one day refuse to sell me a ticket?
I guess if an airline would sell an "unlimited" ticket to fly as much as you want, and you will fly in an abusive way (e.g. fly XXX-YYY, then fly back the next flight, and repeat 5 times a day) they might indeed refuse to allow you to fly with them any further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.