Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Availability of Group W (Mustang) in July near SFO

Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Hopefully I am not bothering you when I am asking you another question regarding my dream of renting a Mustang.

I've learned that Hertz has a "Mustang guaranteed" class (Group W, IXAR). Unfortunately, I don't find a branch where this class is available when I need it (08 July - 23 July).

I'd like to pick up the car in the San Francisco area and will return it at the same place. I've checked SFO and SJC as well as some local stations.

The German* Hertz reservation hotline was not very helpful with my inquiry ("We cannot check every station for you.").

*Yes, I am from Germany. So please excuse my bad English.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Book a convertible and don't worry about it.

Worst case scenario, you get a Camaro (which I marginally prefer). There will be lots of Mustangs on the fleet - just go to a bigger station.

Note that there is a tiny risk that Hertz could have bought a bunch of Buick Cascadas or VW Beetles, but there's nothing to indicate that that is at all likely.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Book a convertible and don't worry about it.

Worst case scenario, you get a Camaro (which I marginally prefer). There will be lots of Mustangs on the fleet - just go to a bigger station.

Note that there is a tiny risk that Hertz could have bought a bunch of Buick Cascadas or VW Beetles, but there's nothing to indicate that that is at all likely.
It seems to be a personal thing that I really dislike the Camaro.

Well, will they have so many convertibles available at any time in July that I can just show up at SFO or SJC for example and change the car (because the other one made strange noises of course)?

I'm a bit nervous that my local station won't even be able to offer me any convertible at all even though I've booked one.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If you reserve a convertible at SFO, here are the possibilities:

60% - you get a Mustang
30% - you get a Camaro, and they'll readily swap it for a Mustang if you ask
5% - you get a Camaro, and they can't swap it for a Mustang
3% - no convertible at all, you're SOL
2% - no Camaro or Mustang, so you get a Mercedes convertible
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I have seen a lot of Mustang Convertibles at SFO. It might be they aren't showing it due to the length of your rental. Worst case you can always ask at the counter. I have received Mustang Convertibles on sunny days when I had no desire for one (on a C or F reservation) so I would hope you would have that option with an actual convertible reservation. And again it could also be raining in July so there may be an increase in availability as well as people decline them for the rainy weekend travel... (yes... most likely it will be sunny but there will also most likely be fog with a slight chance of mist or rain!). Best of luck!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! I've reserved a standard convertible (Group U) at a local Hertz station near SFO, due to the fact that the price was twice as much at SFO. In the comment field of my reservation, I've asked for a Mustang convertible. In case this won't help, I may change the car at SFO later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.