Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hertz #1 Award Program Awards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 1999, 10:41 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
New Hertz #1 Award Program Awards

Received my Hertz #1 Award program statement with the news that the following awards have been added:

2 free rental days (non-peak) 1500 points
3 free rental days (non-peak) 2100
4 free rental days (non-peak) 2700
1 free weekend rental (non-peak) 1800
1 free week rental (non-peak) 3300

These award choices join the existing awards for 1 free rental day (non-peak) at 600 points and 1 free rental day (peak) at 1200 points.

The escalation from 600 points for one non-peak day to 1500 points for 2 non-peak days seems to be a lot. Looks like they are trying to discourage middle of week rentals. The deals for a free weekend (I assume this is 3 days, but not sure) and free week are quite good.
Old Sep 3, 1999, 12:14 pm
pgupta011

Thanks for the info. Nice analysis - I agree. I have yet to receive a single statement from Hertz, despite being in the program for a year, having many rentals, and even telling them a couple of times that I have not received any statement. Generally I think of Hertz as a good company, but this program needs much improvement.

BTW it is probably possible to book a two day rental as two separate one day rentals if one is willing to drop off and pick up another car.

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 09-03-1999).]

Old Sep 3, 1999, 3:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
pgupta011, sometimes I wonder if you and I are the lone flyers who take the Hertz #1 Award points rather than miles! My analysis suggests that the value you get from #1 Awards is around 2-3 times that of taking the miles.

I agree the program needs help with statement mailings. Maybe they the same vendor as UA (sorry, I couldn't resist). This is only the second statement I have received in the nine months I've been a member. I think they mail quarterly but the statements run several months behind (my most recent only goes thru June 20). You do need at least 300 points before they will send a statement, but I assume you have hit that. If you haven't already called, I'd try the program specific number at 800-999-4900.

I wonder if they will eliminate the current 2 year point expiration policy with all the recent airline changes.
Old Sep 3, 1999, 4:39 pm
pgupta011

Actually, the Hertz analysis is quite complicated, since there are three options: miles, Marriott counterpoints and #1 points. For the first two, leisure rentals get twice as many points as business rentals, but for #1 points there is no difference between leisure and business rentals.

I am now mandated to use Hertz at corporate rates and I think that for corporate rates #1 points is the better option (except for maybe a 1 day rental where Marriott points may be worth consideration). Also, I believe in diversification, so I think it is better to have miles, hotel points and car rental points than simply airline miles (especially if you have a lot of airline miles).

Yes, I already called Hertz, their number though is 1-888-999-4900.

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 09-03-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.