Search

Eye Spy: miles & points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 1999, 2:02 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Eye Spy: miles & points

webflyer's mileslink: *EyeSpy* (june-22-99)

Thanks are due to Jeff Abercrombie for this little gem. He writes: "An un-advertised fact with Hertz is that their reservations department actually has two separate fields for entering hotel awards and airline awards. With each car rental, I am getting one American Airlines mile for every dollar spent AND 500 Marriott Rewards points. The travel agents will not be able to record this; however the agents at 1-800-CAR GOLD knew about this each time I called with my confirmation number and happily recorded my membership numbers." Happy trails!
[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 06-23-1999).]
Old Jun 23, 1999, 6:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Both fields show up on their web reservation form also, so it might work when reserving over the internet also ...
Old Jun 23, 1999, 7:54 am
pgupta011

This is a great tip, thanks InsideFlyer. Does anyone know if other combinations are acceptable if one chooses Hertz #1 points (my feeling is that one may not be able to double dip if choosing Hertz points, but I may be wrong).

Old Jun 23, 1999, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
You cannot "double dip" with Hertz if you choose #1 points and the Internet will not let you enter both #1 points and either hotel or airline FF numbers (I tried).
Old Jun 26, 1999, 12:23 pm
pgupta011

I just spoke to a Hertz representative (at 1-800-CAR-GOLD) about my rental, and asked him to put in my airline number and Marriott number. He told me that the system does not allow credit for both. I gave him both numbers, and I am not sure if he was able to enter both or not, but he categorically told me that I would not be getting credit for both. Does anyone have any personal experience to the contrary? I think that getting both airline miles and Marriott points is a good deal, but if I can't double dip I would rather get Hertz #1 points (and also not pay the excise tax on frequent flyer miles that Hertz charges).

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 06-26-1999).]

Old Jun 27, 1999, 5:30 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I must admit that I raised my eyebrows about this. I have never been able to get credit for both a mileage program and Marriott Rewards on the same rental. When I use the web site to reserve my car even though the site allows you to enter both numbers, I've only been able to get airline mileage (no Marriott Counterpoints). I've also asked the rental agents specially to put both numbers on the rental and I've been told that the computer tells them that Hertz will not give credit for both Marriott Rewards and an airline program on the same rental.
Old Jun 27, 1999, 9:22 pm
pgupta011

I had the same experience as TravelLover at the Hertz counter. The agent told me the same thing.

I then opted for Hertz #1 points, since I prefer Hertz points if I cannot get both airline and Marriott points.

Old Jun 28, 1999, 8:25 pm

I have been double dipping points at hertz for about a year now with no problems. If you can't do it from where you made the reservation, call the the reservations line and they can put it in for you.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 10:03 pm
pgupta011

What is the reservation number? I called 1-800-CAR-GOLD, which is the reservation number listed on my #1 Club Gold card. But the agent at 1-800-CAR-GOLD told me that I would not get credit for both United miles and Marriott counter points. The agent at the Hertz rental counter could not do so, and told me that this was changed three months ago (which is about the time when Marriott stopped giving 150 Marriott points for a Hertz rental).

Old Jun 29, 1999, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
To add to pgupta011's posting, I too have had the same feedback from a Hertz agent. I was even told that even though they can enter both airline and frequent flyer numbers in the reservation, I would most likely only get 1000 MC points. For the past 2 months, that has been my experience.
Old Jun 30, 1999, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
How long does it typically take Hertz to post the Marriot Reward points?
Old Jun 30, 1999, 6:47 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Shay ~ In my experience it takes forever ... okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, it takes about 2-3 months in my limited (3 rentals) experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.