Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:06 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

There are a few threads that seem to indicate it has to be rental activity. Here is one:

Hertz Misleading Expiration Policy.

Some folks say that if you book an award rental and then cancel it (so the points are deposited back into your account) that it resets the clock:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...xpiration.html

YMMV.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by armature
How about the earning of "bonus points"? I received 5 points for registering for the Spring Registration Bonus. Will that extend the expiration date?
As indicated upthread, the T&C say you must have rental activity to reset the clock. From the FAQ page:
Points do not expire as long as you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:09 pm

points expiry specifics

Can someone help me here?
My last rental activity was on 8/16/2015, so to extend my points, do I have to complete a rental by 8/15 or 8/16? Or can I just have a rental from 8/14 to 8/17 will be fine? and credit to the points.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 11, 2017 at 3:02 am Reason: moved into existing thread on this topic
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:21 pm

Mine expire Sep 26, 2017. I just booked a reservation in November, and paid for it in points, with about $35 left that I have to pay. Come Sep 26, will they suddenly change that reservation so I owe more money on it since my points expire?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Member

Anyone have any tips on renting a cheap car at HLE to extend points? Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:46 pm

Just want to update this thread. When I wrote this (pre-Sep 2017), I went ahead and booked a 4-day reservation in November that I actually plan to use. It deducted points and said I will only $37. I've been checking as recent today, and the reservation is still valid. So that is the key then, book a real trip, pay in points.
kcaluwae likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Just checking to see if booking an award reservation and canceling still works to extend points or rent a car for a day?

Any tips on great discount codes? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sggolf
Just checking to see if booking an award reservation and canceling still works to extend points or rent a car for a day?

Booking an award reservation and not cancelling it definitely worked.

Booking an award reservation as far out in the calendar as it allowed also definitely worked to buy lots of time to get some activity in the account and protect the points from expiration.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Member

If you are looking into renting a car at a HLE to extend your points, look at 11/27, 11/28 as found some great rates just after the Thanksgiving holiday. YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Just completed rental and points credited same day I returned HLE car! Whew what a relief!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Nexus

No one has an update on this?

Originally Posted by mendelk
No one has an update on this?

Well tried it myself and yes it does

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 26, 2019 at 7:24 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mendelk
Well tried it myself and yes it does
Can you please clarify?
1) Did you make a reservation on points and then cancel it right away and that kept your account alive? How did you confirm that it actually kept your account alive?
2) Or did you make a future reservation for a time past expiration and then rent a car after your scheduled expiration but before the awards reservation, and then cancel the award reservation?

I have 3 weeks to figure out how to keep my points alive, and a trip scheduled for 3 weeks following expiration

Thanks for anyone who can provide some clarity!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:59 am

I'm assuming #1 : Did you make a reservation on points and then cancel it right away and that kept your account alive?

I'm also assuming the answer to How did you confirm that it actually kept your account alive? would be to look at your account statement after the original expiration date.

By the way, welcome to FlyerTalk! With that said, search is your best friend. We've discussed this topic many times, going back several years. Keep in mind that the car rental companies do monitor these boards, and have closed loopholes that people keep talking about.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Hertz, Hilton, Marriott, National
Hi, I'm new to the forum, been reading for the last couple of days out of despair (lol).
I am a long time HERTZ Gold Plus Rewards client and been using the points every other year, except for the last 2 years.
I got the expire warning email weeks ago, Points were set to expire NOVEMBER 27th so yesterday night I applied 2 of the suggestions I read about: Book rentals far in the future to lock the points, booking and canceling a rental just to have activity on the account.
The closer actual travel date I have is on March 2019, so, let's see if after that actual rental and after the future rentals are cancelled the points return to the account.
I'll send updates since today is the expire date, I left 145 points on the account as a matter of control. By the way I had 14800 points on the account. Wish me luck.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Hertz, Hilton, Marriott, National
3rd day after points expire date: the points left on the account are still present.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.