Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 26, 22, 12:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 22, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
I got an email today that says my "Bonus Points expire Monday" and "Your limited-time offer ends soon."
How can I tell how many "bonus points" I have? When I look at my account I see one number, and it is simply labeled "points." ???
Old Nov 22, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lindaiah View Post
I got an email today that says my "Bonus Points expire Monday" and "Your limited-time offer ends soon."
How can I tell how many "bonus points" I have? When I look at my account I see one number, and it is simply labeled "points." ???
Ditto here. I want to know what these mystery bonus points are for, how many there are, and why they are going away.
Old Nov 23, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: AA MM, DL, UA, B6, AC, BA, IB, IG, LH, LX, VY
After I made/cancelled a points reservation, I called Hertz Gold to ask about my expiration date. The agent could not give me a date. She was looking for my latest completed rental activity and then adding 18 months. She said making/cancelling a points reservation does not qualify. I have not tried looking for updated program rules to get the official answer. I will try calling back and asking another agent about the expiration date.
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by New to PHL View Post
After I made/cancelled a points reservation, I called Hertz Gold to ask about my expiration date. The agent could not give me a date. She was looking for my latest completed rental activity and then adding 18 months. She said making/cancelling a points reservation does not qualify. I have not tried looking for updated program rules to get the official answer. I will try calling back and asking another agent about the expiration date.
Again, rather than waste time calling around, just complete a one-day rental at a local branch. Depending on where you live you could probably get a car on a random Saturday for ~$40 or even less, and that'll renew the expiration date.
Old Nov 24, 19, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Ditto here. I want to know what these mystery bonus points are for, how many there are, and why they are going away.
I got the same email and I have completed a rentals in the past 6 months. I am currently in a rental I am supposed to return Wednesday, but the email says bonus points expire Monday.

What mystery bonus points are expiring?
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: *S, UA, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz, Avis, Amex Plat
I just tried to book a rental using points. As I logged in, I saw that I have Zero points. Bemused, I called Hertz and also checked my email with subject Hertz. Found an email from July 17, 2019 stating that I've ~6500 points. I got in touch with the CSR and she informed me that my points have expired as I had no activity in last 18 months. I tried letting her know that I don't travel much anymore and haven't kept up-to-date with my Hertz account. I also informed her that I tried booking Hertz in Austria and Iceland with points, but Hertz wouldn't allow.

I also informed that I never received any email communication from Hertz stating that my points are going to expire. I was told, it's your responsibility to keep abreast with the Hertz website and you should read your T&C. I asked to talk with the supervisor and was told that is not possible. All they could and were happy to help out with was saying NO.

No matter how hard I tried, they would refer me back to reading T&C and keeping abreast with Hertz website. I asked if they could help out at Human level. I don't think they know, what that meant?!

Not sure what to do here.....I don't state this often, but terrible (understatement) customer service.
Old Dec 2, 19, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by lindaiah View Post
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Suspect they were related to this: You've earned complimentary bonus points.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Transferring points to avoid expiration

I have points expiring in 5 weeks. I see that I can transfer points to my wife. She has an account with no points, but she is a frequent traveler. If I transfer to her, would the expiration reset?

We simply don't have a need to rent a car any time soon, except for an upcoming trip to a city in Mexico that does not have Hertz. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 26, 19, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by chrisphx View Post
I have points expiring in 5 weeks. I see that I can transfer points to my wife. She has an account with no points, but she is a frequent traveler. If I transfer to her, would the expiration reset?

We simply don't have a need to rent a car any time soon, except for an upcoming trip to a city in Mexico that does not have Hertz. Thanks in advance.
I don't know whether that will work, but the easiest solution is just to rent for one day at an HLE or get a cheap one day airport rate. $30-$40.
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
I just had this happen to me as well. All points gone. And the worse part: I did have a couple of Hertz rentals in the past 18 months, just not in the USA but only in countries that are 100% franchise branches which do not participate in their points program.

Let's just say that this is not the way to award customer loyalty. Even though I have been loyal to Hertz, have 5 star status and have been renting from them on several occasions in the past 18 months, they still took my points.

I'm pissed. I even took steps to prevent expiration - the text on the Hertz website (dutch version) on the reward account overview page specifically states: "Punten komen te vervallen als er geen punten verdiend of ingewisseld zijn in de afgelopen 18 maanden." - or translated: "Points will expire if no points have been earned or redeemed in the past 18 months". So I did make a points redemption towards a rental in Australia next week. But that did not change a thing, they still took all my points.

I have three Hertz rentals coming up for next month. I guess those will be the last - ever. I'm done being "rewarded" for my loyalty in this way.
sokolov and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 31, 19, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by tintin_007 View Post
I just tried to book a rental using points. As I logged in, I saw that I have Zero points. Bemused, I called Hertz and also checked my email with subject Hertz. Found an email from July 17, 2019 stating that I've ~6500 points. I got in touch with the CSR and she informed me that my points have expired as I had no activity in last 18 months. I tried letting her know that I don't travel much anymore and haven't kept up-to-date with my Hertz account. I also informed her that I tried booking Hertz in Austria and Iceland with points, but Hertz wouldn't allow.

I also informed that I never received any email communication from Hertz stating that my points are going to expire. I was told, it's your responsibility to keep abreast with the Hertz website and you should read your T&C. I asked to talk with the supervisor and was told that is not possible. All they could and were happy to help out with was saying NO.

No matter how hard I tried, they would refer me back to reading T&C and keeping abreast with Hertz website. I asked if they could help out at Human level. I don't think they know, what that meant?!

Not sure what to do here.....I don't state this often, but terrible (understatement) customer service.
i have points taken away too, even though some of them are transferred over end of Oct. Not by rental. I called, and they just kept saying it's all the points will be taken away, not just the ones prior to the 18 months. This is ridiculous. They said even if the points are transferred in one day prior to the expiration, they will be zero out.

I requested to talk to a supervisor about this, they said no supervisor available. and provided me a email address to me: [email protected]. I dont' think that will help much.
Old Jan 1, 20, 9:45 pm

Programs: United GS, *wood LT Plat
I (so far successfully) swore off of Hertz in 2015 after losing all my points. At the time (based on my emails to Hertz), the T&Cs indicated that points didn't expire as long as points were earned or redeemed in the previous 24 month period (I knew I was coming up upon expiration and had read the T&Cs with a fine tooth combed). Hertz wrote back and made up (at the time) a new rule that the earning or redeeming had to be on rental activity, not a bonus promotion. After I pointed out that rental activity wasn't in the T&Cs, the stopped responding and updated the T&Cs.
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:03 pm

Read Fine Print on Points Expiration

I just had points expire and I get that it's my fault, but if they wanted to be more customer friendly...they could be.

When Hertz says that points expire on a certain date, they mean 12:00:00AM of that date.

I know of no other company that uses the 1st second of that day as their experiation time. So I called to see if they would replace the points and you can't talk to anyone who has the authority to do so. I was given the previously mentioned email address, kinda gives me the feeling that they want to hide behind an email and just throw the front line people under the bus.

In the last email there's a big yellow box with black lettering telling me the dates points expire, but not the time. There was room to put in the time if they chose. It would have worked out better for me if they had said the points would expire on the day before at 11:59:59.

Bowl857

Edited to add: Here is part of the reply to my email to them... Our goal is to provide you a personal response from a Hertz Customer Service Representative within 5-7 working days.

Last edited by bowl857; Feb 5, 20 at 5:06 pm Reason: Added Reply of email
Old Apr 15, 20, 12:46 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by chrisphx View Post
II have points expiring in 5 weeks. I see that I can transfer points to my wife. She has an account with no points, but she is a frequent traveler. If I transfer to her, would the expiration reset?
Does anyone know the answer to this? In my case the transfer would be to another active account.
Old Apr 29, 20, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by louie-m View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this? In my case the transfer would be to another active account.
I transferred my points that were about to expire to my partner’s account, which had points that weren’t expiring for another year. The transferred points have stayed alive with my partner’s existing points.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread