Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
I had 5000 points in my Hertz account, which i let expire by mistake. is there any way to revive them ? I am planning a trip in Sept to Europe and I was planning to use them.
I merged your thread with the Hertz points expiring thread as it has the same questions and responses.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Of course the points are gone. If all you had to do was make a reservation (then cancel later), the points/miles expiration would be meaningless.
It is entertaining reading all of the comments from folks who believe that a huge multinational company cares about them!

I stopped collecting miles 4.5 years ago. I fly whom has the lowest cost/highest convenience. Lounges are overcrowded, too loud and not worth the "loyalty." The gate is commonly more serene. Watching and listening to other passengers jockeying for upgrades is embarrassing.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:30 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by weever
My points 6500 was also expired this month
My last rental was in 2017/09, if that is 24 months, should not be expired.
5500 of 6500 I bought from gateway promotion at 2018/04, , cost me 280 dollars, in the term when I bought it, the term indicated 24 months rule
I did not receive any email about they changed the policy to 18 months

I called CRS twice to ask them if they can waiver this time to reinstate once, but both of CSR refuse.

I am not sure why they do not want to wavier it once since the term they change recently is not very friendly.

I just want book this month and found my points gone
But in my case the points were taken away only 11 months since the last transaction.. is there any hope for the points being revived if i call them.. im well within the new 18 month threshold.. I must clarify though, that the activity which was 11 months ago was a non-rental activity (i transferred points to an airline). But based on the discussion here it seems they changed the period from 24 months . to 18 months and also changed the requirement to rental activity .. is there any hope here ? i was really looking forward to using the points in Europe in October.

Last edited by Flyfromscratch; Aug 29, 2019 at 4:08 am
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
The contents of the page must change depending on your browser location. This is a copy/paste of the expiration rule I see when I go to that page:[h3]
I still see a 24-month expiration window when accessing https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp from my region (Europe). Did anyone get a chance to have their points reinstated on the basis there seems to be two policies in places (US / non-US) given my account is "non-US"?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
I still see a 24-month expiration window when accessing https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp from my region (Europe). Did anyone get a chance to have their points reinstated on the basis there seems to be two policies in places (US / non-US) given my account is "non-US"?
Quoting myself here. But in case it helps, I have been able to have my balance partially reinstated. I am working on getting it fully reinstated as the 24-month expiration window still prevails on various Hertz documents.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I just had close to 10,000 points expire. In July I received an email stating that my points would expire soon, and "There are two ways to keep your points from expiring:
1. Simply make a reservation, request to receive Gold Plus Rewards points, return your car before 7/26/19, and earn points on the rental; or
2. Redeem points for a free rental. A Free Day is only 750 Gold Plus Rewards points."

My understanding of #2 was that I could redeem points for a future rental (which I intended to use), and as long as the reservation was made and points were deducted from my account by the deadline the remaining points would not expire.

Apparently I was wrong. The points did expire, and when I reached out to Hertz, the response I received was "Hertz made new changes to our Loyalty Program since your last rental that has altered the way you are able to maintain your points. In order to keep your points from expiring, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Rental Activity must take place within an 18-month period where points are either earned or redeemed on a completed Gold rental. We cannot manually extend your expiration date. According to your account, your points were scheduled to expire on 07/26/2019 unless a Gold rental was completed before that date using either cash or points to cover the rental. Making a points reservation is not a completed rental, does not qualify as rental activity, and will not reset your expiration date. Only a completed Gold rental can reset your expiration date. Unfortunately, the prior points did expire as you did not have a completed Gold rental prior to 07/26/2019. We will be unable to reinstate any expired points."

Has anyone had any success getting points back? Hertz has had about 100% share of wallet from me over the past decade (I usually don't even look anywhere else), but if this is how they want to treat a loyal customer I am happy to shop elsewhere. It looks like Avis and National are cheaper anyway for my upcoming trips.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by stargazer10
Hertz has had about 100% share of wallet from me over the past decade (I usually don't even look anywhere else), but if this is how they want to treat a loyal customer I am happy to shop elsewhere. It looks like Avis and National are cheaper anyway for my upcoming trips.
Shop elsewhere - Hertz blows. They have devalued their loyalty program so much over the years and now they pull this crap about changing the expiration policy. I still have a few Hertz points I need to get rid of, but have been using National for all paid rentals for several years now. Emerald Aisle is awesome too.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA MM, DL, UA, B6, AC, AF, AY, AZ, BA, IB, HA, LH, LX, OS, SK, SN, TP, VY
Hertz Points Expiration

Hello, My Hertz points expire in March. I read the previous posts about this, so I made a points reservation and immediately cancelled it. When I called to ask about what qualifies as activity to extend points, I was told the points reservation needs to be completed. So making and cancelling a points reservation does not qualify. Has anyone actually made/cancelled a points reservation and then confirmed the points were not deleted after the initial expiration date? Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

This is probably the wrong forum as this is the Japan forum not the Hertz forum.

I have asked the moderators to move it.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:48 am

You don't need to redeem points. You just have to complete a reservation that earns points (which is most reservations unless you're using a special CDP). If you're concerned then just make a one day rental at your nearest location and that will renew the expiration date.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

This is probably the wrong forum as this is the Japan forum not the Hertz forum.

I have asked the moderators to move it.

Regards

TBS
Thank you and I have merged this question with the consolidated Hertz points expiring/expired thread.

Thanks,
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA MM, DL, UA, B6, AC, AF, AY, AZ, BA, IB, HA, LH, LX, OS, SK, SN, TP, VY
New Hertz Rules

Hello, Hertz changed the expiration from 24 months to 18 months. I was told by an agent they are getting strict with points expiration. I was told making a reservation using points and then cancelling the reservation will not qualify as activity. A completed rental using points is required. Since June 2019, has anyone had points that were set to expire and successfully extended the expiration by 18 months by making / cancelling a reservation using points? Thank you
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by New to PHL
Hello, My Hertz points expire in March. I read the previous posts about this, so I made a points reservation and immediately cancelled it. When I called to ask about what qualifies as activity to extend points, I was told the points reservation needs to be completed. So making and cancelling a points reservation does not qualify. Has anyone actually made/cancelled a points reservation and then confirmed the points were not deleted after the initial expiration date? Thank you.
buy a magazine
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by knownothing
buy a magazine
Hertz unlike most other loyalty programs require rental activity. It is my understanding other activity such as e-rewards earnings does not count.

Does it show online in your account what the expiration date is? I have a completed rental that earned zero points (redemption) and want to ensure that reset the clock.... my understanding is that it did but I would love to see it in writing!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I had to call to get the date... but it also shows on award wallet right after you update and then it disappears.

I rented a car in a cheap location to keep my account alive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.