Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 13, 2024, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
No.... You must have an actual rental taken out with either points or cash.
So this page is wrong? https://frequentmiler.com/keep-hertz-points-alive/

What about the following: Can you book an award rental with your points far out? Then have a cash/revenue rental before that award rental, and then cancel the award rental after the revenue rental? Or would that expire the points too?
Old Jun 13, 2024, 2:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by abcx
So this page is wrong? https://frequentmiler.com/keep-hertz-points-alive/

What about the following: Can you book an award rental with your points far out? Then have a cash/revenue rental before that award rental, and then cancel the award rental after the revenue rental? Or would that expire the points too?
That works as long as long as you actually take the cash rental before the expiration date.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
That works as long as long as you actually take the cash rental before the expiration date.
Got it. So if my spouse, whose points are expiring, transfers to me and I have a cash/revenue rental before the expiration date, that will extend the expiry of my partner's points (which are now in my account) as well, correct?
Old Jun 13, 2024, 3:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by abcx
Got it. So if my spouse, whose points are expiring, transfers to me and I have a cash/revenue rental before the expiration date, that will extend the expiry of my partner's points (which are now in my account) as well, correct?
That I do not know. Suggest you DM Hertz via Twitter and keep a screenshot
Old Jun 14, 2024, 2:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Smile June 2024 datapoint for reinstating expired points

I have an upcoming Hertz reservation and noticed that my points were showing as zero which was a shock. I only had less than 3K points, but I had been getting emails saying that "You have enough points for a two day rental."

Apparently, I was also affected by the reduction of point validity to 12 months to use the points. When I searched my email inbox, I discovered a previously ignored email in my inbox that showed my points had an expiration date in August of 2024.
I went on the X app and contacted Hertz via DM and asked them to reinstate my points based on their email communication to me of the August 2024 expiration and mentioned the lack of any communication regarding the change in expiration dates. I sent them a screenshot of the email with the August 2024 expiration.

Thankfully, I received a response within 12 hours that the points were added back into my account "as a one time courtesy."

I was happy for the outcome. For reference, I am a President's Circle Member due to my Amex Platinum.

misterfuss

Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 3:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
This is super frustrating. I am trying to get points reinstated also, thanks to the information in this thread. I had some 10k points disappear, partly due to a temporary loss of President's Circle status in between United/credit card dropping the benefit.

By the way, did you also see this little hidden footnote?

• Points are valid for five years from the date that they were earned. If a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member does not redeem their points within a five-year-period, the points will be considered forfeited and removed. This five-year point expiration does not apply to residents of Canada.
(https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...points-program)
Old Jul 15, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Just received an e-mail today that sates, "Effective December 31, 2024, points will expire after 5 years from when they were earned, regardless of rental activity.* This means that any points that have been in your account for 5 years or longer will expire and be removed from your account if not used prior to December 31, 2024 — you currently have XXXXX points set to expire by this date. But don’t worry! You’ll have almost 6 months to use those points to book free rental days through 2025. And you can transfer points to an immediate family member who is also a Gold member.**

This change is in addition to the current policy in which points will expire after 12 months of no rental activity.

*5 year point expiration does not apply to members who are residents of Canada. Points are earned and redeemed on the base rental rate only. Taxes, fees, and options are excluded.
**You can transfer or receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points to or from any immediate family member who is also a Gold member, at most once per calendar year. Your immediate family member must have had at least one rental activity in the prior 12 months. Activity means a GPR point was either earned or redeemed on a rental."

While I obviously don't like the new policy, I do appreciate a communication about it and notice, rather than the retroactive points cancelation that occurred when they went from 18 month expiration to 12 month expiration.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Of course I haven't received an email from Hertz about this... and doubt I will since I never get any of these emails from Hertz other than a reservation confirmation, so no way to know if I have any points set to expire or when... and their garbage account activity page doesn't work properly either so can't tell when points were earned.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
There's a new stickied thread on this, but I just received this email today myself. I was auto-filtered into the "promotion" tab on Google.

This heavily impacts me as a good majority of my points was from 5+ years ago. But, I was impacted by the 18 to 12-month expiration last year, so I can't even go back into my own rewards activities and see when the points were accrued, as I just see 1 lump-sum deposit in Oct 2023 (which was them re-instating all my points that had expired with the sudden policy change). I just dropped CS an email to see if they can give me an itemized breakdown of points and expiration date...
Old Jul 15, 2024, 9:30 am

Would a possible workaround be a family member completing a cheap rental, then transferring Hertz points to them?
Old Jul 15, 2024, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Would a possible workaround be a family member completing a cheap rental, then transferring Hertz points to them?
Point transfer is not considered as rental a rental activity.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Point transfer is not considered as rental a rental activity.
The rental activity will be the rental I mentioned .. point transfer would be done after the rental to preserve the points in the household member’s account. Thoughts?
Old Jul 15, 2024, 10:50 am

Won't work
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
The rental activity will be the rental I mentioned .. point transfer would be done after the rental to preserve the points in the household member’s account. Thoughts?
The points in the account which has the rental activity will be preserved. The point transfer is not relevant and has no effect on point validity.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 5:51 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Here's yet another added frustration to my above post. I had a rental in Mexico during the period it would've extended points.

Now I find out that (via Hertz Twitter):

That is a franchisee rental and does not take part in the reward program which would be why this is not listed in your rental history.
And how exactly are we supposed to know that internal detail of how Hertz gets paid?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.