Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a Presidents Circle member, rent assured knowing were committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if youve completed a rental in the last six months) and wont expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. Weve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: US,PC
i stopped by, asked them to charge after some time, add few mile and close reservation. got my points
MilesTalk likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 10:35 pm

Last month, Hertz removed over 12k points from my account. They changed the expiry rules without any warning. I already had a rental booked for October to avoid the expiry, but that rental was just a few days after the new deadline.

I called in, and they said they would investigate. Indeed, a few days later, they refunded the 12k points. That was in October.

Today, I check my account, and the points have vanished yet again!

What game are they playing?

Is there a class action lawsuit yet?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:27 pm

I reached out to them via twitter as discussed here, they made the adjustment after about a week, but it expired the same day as they were added to the account two days in a roll.

This occurred on Nov 26 the first time. i reached out to them via twitter, first time they said they see the balance at my account, even my side showed zero. So i waited for another day, checked again, the balance showed on Nov 27. So i assumed issue resolved. Thank them via twitter. Checked again today, the Nov 27 showed expired points and balance went back to zero. I reached out to them via twitter and they said they saw zero balance on my account from their side too and ask me to send email to support on the issue.

it showed Type: "Adjustment", then the next type item:"Expired Points" I am not quite sure how to attach screenshots here. had to describe as is i guess. Anyone else see the same issue?

Originally Posted by sokolov
Last month, Hertz removed over 12k points from my account. They changed the expiry rules without any warning. I already had a rental booked for October to avoid the expiry, but that rental was just a few days after the new deadline.

I called in, and they said they would investigate. Indeed, a few days later, they refunded the 12k points. That was in October.

Does it show "Adjustment", then next line item for the same date showed "Expired Points" and subtract the points from the balance and zero out the account?

for me it took about a week.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 5, 2023 at 4:35 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I had the same experience of finding my points zeroed out after they'd be reinstated.

Sent a DM to Hertz Twitter and got a response in 5 minutes, putting the points back.
sokolov and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I had the same experience of finding my points zeroed out after they'd be reinstated.

Sent a DM to Hertz Twitter and got a response in 5 minutes, putting the points back.
Does the 2nd reinstated points stays in your account? they disappeared when i checked after 2 days.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Yes, so far.
beckoa likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by ddlo1982
Does it show "Adjustment", then next line item for the same date showed "Expired Points" and subtract the points from the balance and zero out the account?
It does not show "Expired" at all, nor does it show "Adjustment". It is just as if I had never had those 12k points.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Is the simplest way to extend points for another year with no planned rental to book a car nearby, pick it up, drive it around the block and drop it off 5 minutes later? I can't think of anything easier yet also want to make sure there isn't some new T&C that says you need to keep the car X hours to earn points!
Just about, at least that's what I basically do. One time I just told the guy to process a return for me after a few minutes.. didn't even go to the car. He laughed and asked if I'm just trying to keep my account alive. Told me I'm not the first to do it, although it is infrequent. Did it at Avis too and the guy actually asked if I did it last year ... He remembered me!

I actually was going to do this just yesterday too. Used 950 points to keep my 60k points alive. But when I went in they upgraded me a Tesla Model Y, so I ended up grabbing the car and running errands with it, then returning it hours later. Just for the joy ride, lol.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by sokolov

I called in, they gave me a case number and said they would investigate within 3 business days. Nothing happened.

So after a week or so I called in again, this time I was fwded to another agent, who then immediately reinstated 12,000 points. That is still short 94 points or so, but OK. I hope they stick now.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Looks like I got bit by the 18 to 12 month change. Lost around 20k points since my last rental was in December of 2022. I guess I'll try to get them back based on the fact that this was a no notice change that they never widely announced, and the last monthly account statement email I have from them from last August says my points will expire in June of 2024. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Hi,

My points expire this weekend. Presidents Club (via Amex).

1. Does the loophole of booking and cancelling a reservation still extend points validity?
2. If not - and I earn points in a week from a current rental - if I then cancel a points booking I make now, will those be forfeited as technically would have expired if unused?
3. Any other ideas? I do need to make a reservation in 10 days or so and could use points if needed, although I'd rather accumulate them (need an SUV and would rather keep them for when I can book a standard car, thus saving half the points).
Old May 21, 2024, 5:10 pm

Preventing point expiry?

I am 5 Star member and the last rental was in Dec last yr.
So hoping it will expire in Nov/Dec.

What can I do to prevent expiration? I have enough to rent for a day.

Does any other program let me to transfer into Hertz and therefore there is an activity?
Or transfer out to another program?
Old May 21, 2024, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
What can I do to prevent expiration? I have enough to rent for a day.

Does any other program let me to transfer into Hertz and therefore there is an activity?
Or transfer out to another program?
Rent (cash or points) -- NOT just reserve, but actually complete a rental
No.
No.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 2:17 pm

Does transferring points to a domestic partner/spouse keep them alive and/or extend the expiry to that of the person being transferred to?
Old Jun 13, 2024, 2:33 pm

No.... You must have an actual rental taken out with either points or cash.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.