Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:54 pm

Unless the recently announced extension of point expiration is retroactive, I assume it does nothing to help those of us whose points were expiring and did disappear on Dec 31, 2020. I could not do a one day or hour rental, but for those who could, it may not have been a waste since the extension of point expiration does not appear to be retroactive.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by louie-m
Is this for everyone or just certain status levels?
Can anyone point me to the official Hertz announcement of this? From what I can see from points blogs, this is just for Five Star and President's Circle members (fortunately I am the former, but that hardly seems fair) but is it just in the US or is it worldwide?
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Also have the same problem. AwardWallet warned me of points expiring in 7 days. Cannot rent cars due to lockdown in the UK. I am FiveStar. Does the extension apply to UK-based customers too? Is there any action to be taken?

Also - can one assume that Hertz 24/7 UK rentals post within 1-2 days? There may be a way of doing a one hour rental.

Edited to add in case it is useful to others: I have been in touch with Hertz via Twitter and they have confirmed that points will not expire for all 5S members.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Jan 14, 2021 at 8:14 am
Old Jan 14, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I have miles set to expire in April and just cancelled a March trip. I lost points, and I don't think the loss of points counts a reset of expiration dates. Anyone disagree and think that counts? And I am not trusting enough of an email from marketing so I have a request with a question that just specifically asks "when do my points expire".
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Also have the same problem. AwardWallet warned me of points expiring in 7 days. Cannot rent cars due to lockdown in the UK. I am FiveStar. Does the extension apply to UK-based customers too? Is there any action to be taken?

Also - can one assume that Hertz 24/7 UK rentals post within 1-2 days? There may be a way of doing a one hour rental.

Edited to add in case it is useful to others: I have been in touch with Hertz via Twitter and they have confirmed that points will not expire for all 5S members.
Thanks! Do you happen to have a link to that twitter exchange? I want some sort of evidence in case my points disappear...
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:49 am

Doesn't redeeming points extend the expiration date? If so, couldn't I just redeem points for a 1 day rental, but never pick up the car since I would lose the points anyway?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:38 pm

I used to rent a lot with Hertz and have a significant points balance, but due to a change of job I now only occasionally rent, normally for vacations. Thus I have no status any longer. My points are due to expire in May after 18 months inactivity due to covid. With the UK still in lockdown I would struggle to find a reasonable excuse to rent a car at the moment. Is there any value in me contacting them to plead my case or is it a waste of time?

I was Presidents Circle for years but now I have no status, just a lot of points!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by BAflyer90
I used to rent a lot with Hertz and have a significant points balance, but due to a change of job I now only occasionally rent, normally for vacations. Thus I have no status any longer. My points are due to expire in May after 18 months inactivity due to covid. With the UK still in lockdown I would struggle to find a reasonable excuse to rent a car at the moment. Is there any value in me contacting them to plead my case or is it a waste of time?

I was Presidents Circle for years but now I have no status, just a lot of points!
While it ended up not being needed because a day later they announced they were extending me anyway, I took the "reserve the cheapest car possible and never drive it off the lot, just go to the facility and get a reciept" route and it wasn't much of a hassle compared to the worth of the 10k or so points I would have lost otherwise.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by fwfdan
I have miles set to expire in April and just cancelled a March trip. I lost points, and I don't think the loss of points counts a reset of expiration dates. Anyone disagree and think that counts? And I am not trusting enough of an email from marketing so I have a request with a question that just specifically asks "when do my points expire".
Did you have a points reservation that you cancelled? Did you hear back whether your expiration was extended from losing points? I wonder if making a points reservation and not cancelling but also not picking up, extends it.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by lazygrad
Did you have a points reservation that you cancelled? Did you hear back whether your expiration was extended from losing points? I wonder if making a points reservation and not cancelling but also not picking up, extends it.
As I suspected the cancellation and loss of 25% of points did NOT extend the points. Same boat that I am covered by the blanket extension that was done (even though I never seemed to have received the email). I imagine no-show would be the same thing. It has to be an actual rental (so show up rent the car and never take it off the lot should work I would think since it would open and close the reservation)
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:48 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fwfdan
As I suspected the cancellation and loss of 25% of points did NOT extend the points. Same boat that I am covered by the blanket extension that was done (even though I never seemed to have received the email). I imagine no-show would be the same thing. It has to be an actual rental (so show up rent the car and never take it off the lot should work I would think since it would open and close the reservation)
They just have to let a minute pass to close it out.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
I don't have 5S or PC status, but nearly 10K points set to expire shortly -- does the 12/31/21 expiration extension cover lowly non-elite Gold members? I've seen that question asked upchain, but (I think) not answered...
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
I think I answered my own question -- though Hertz first told me I was extended, on calling back and asking specifically, I was told no extension unless 5S or PC. Time to book a one-day rental...
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:10 pm

So, nobody has had any luck getting Hertz to restore points that expired during the pandemic?

I've just logged in to see that my entire points balance has been wiped out. For some reason I was under the impression that they had been extended, like most airlines are doing.

It seems like my status (5S) has been retained, despite no rentals for more than 12 months, but my entire points balance is gone. Quite sad about this!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:23 am

Just to confirm: If I transfer my Hertz points to my spouse (same residential address), they will remain valid for my spouse to use for 18 months from the date of transfer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.