Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Rent a car at Burbank airport today and return it an hour later? I assume that's what a closed reservation is? This should work........
That should work.

• Make a booking (or four? he has 3200 points or so) for the future, and while it wont save the points, at least he can use them for those four days (or four bookings of one day each) ?
    • If this option, can the dates be modified later if those days no longer work for him....
Date can be changed but location cannot.

•  
    • He actually thinks that if I make a booking today, for a few weeks from now, that the points will expire and when it comes time to "pay" for the reservation the points will be gone and he will have to use cash? Because the rental says "pay later" and since they are 24 hours or so from expiring,.,,?
My understanding is that points are deducted at booking and converted to a PC code. It should be fine as long as you book before expiration. You may run into problem, however, if you cancel and try to redeposit the expired points.
todderz likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:32 pm

I have points expiring at the end of the month and cannot travel due to Covid. There is no Hertz within 30 minute drive and I even tried to see if there was a cheap one day rate to perhaps justify the time, but the cheapest was over $60 so not worth it. So what about this idea. I plan to take a trip to Location x (US) when Covid is done, but don't know the dates yet. Can I use my points now to book several one day rentals at Location x and then simply change the dates when I am finally know my dates of travel? In other words, I wouldn't cancel the rental just change the dates. I guess I have nothing to lose, but wanted to see if anyone else had tried this successfully. BTW, I've called Hertz for a courtesy extension to no avail. Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
I have points expiring at the end of the month and cannot travel due to Covid. There is no Hertz within 30 minute drive and I even tried to see if there was a cheap one day rate to perhaps justify the time, but the cheapest was over $60 so not worth it. So what about this idea. I plan to take a trip to Location x (US) when Covid is done, but don't know the dates yet. Can I use my points now to book several one day rentals at Location x and then simply change the dates when I am finally know my dates of travel? In other words, I wouldn't cancel the rental just change the dates. I guess I have nothing to lose, but wanted to see if anyone else had tried this successfully. BTW, I've called Hertz for a courtesy extension to no avail. Thanks.
I had a similar issue and lost all of my points...and their customer service on the phone, email and social media was not sympathetic. They didn't offer a courtesy extension and lost my business FOREVER. I hope it works out better for you. Good luck!
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
It's crazy to me that Hertz isn't at least offering some way to buy points right now but clearly they see this as an opportunity to clear a bunch of liability off the books.

Edit: I guess they do have an option where you can purchase points by filling out a form that includes your credit card number in plain text, printing it off, and faxing it to them. Does anyone know if that resets the 18 month timer?

Last edited by Zeeb; Dec 22, 2020 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 25, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by Zeeb
It's crazy to me that Hertz isn't at least offering some way to buy points right now but clearly they see this as an opportunity to clear a bunch of liability off the books.

Edit: I guess they do have an option where you can purchase points by filling out a form that includes your credit card number in plain text, printing it off, and faxing it to them. Does anyone know if that resets the 18 month timer?
According to the FAQ, the answer is it will not reset the timer, you must have a rental:
"Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards® point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental. Making a reservation or points transfer to a partner company does not count as rental activity."
Originally Posted by todderz
There's no minimum length for it to count as rental activity. All that matters is that a rental is completed. Taken and returned and charged.
Once they've given you the keys, it's booked out, and they'll have to book it back in, job done.
If you want to cut out the faff, (rather than finding some use for the car - surprising how far you can go before the fuel gauge drops enough that you'd have to refuel) I would just explain that's what you want do.
Don't need the car, do need the points, do need a receipt for the expense claim.
+1 here. I needed a rental to reset the clock. Booked a managers special at a nearby off-airport location. Told the guy I didn't even need the car, just the receipt so I could keep the points alive, he said it happens all the time. Processed my "rental", charged the card and I was out in less than 10 minutes and never touched a set of keys.
Zeeb likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 2020 at 4:15 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by bob12403
+1 here. I needed a rental to reset the clock. Booked a managers special at a nearby off-airport location. Told the guy I didn't even need the car, just the receipt so I could keep the points alive, he said it happens all the time. Processed my "rental", charged the card and I was out in less than 10 minutes and never touched a set of keys.
That's my plan at this point. Thanks for the data point about it working without them asking you to take the keys and at least drive it off the lot. I'd prefer that I didn't have to even go to a location but that's better than letting the points expire.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:11 pm

Question Qualifying rental activity?

Hi,

Can someone confirm if rental w/o earning points (non-participating country) also extends 18 months activity period?
This is what customer service claims, however FAQ states otherwise, so I'd prefer to be sure.

Last time I booked car with points was early Dec 2018.
Afterwards I had rentals in countries that gave me 0 points. Rentals are visible in my profile. Last one in March 2020.
Seems I still have my points available in the account, not sure though if it's not due to extension till year end?
I would just book a car for a day or so, but I got stuck in country where rental would not give me any points.

Last edited by robertkk; Dec 29, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:14 pm

Just lost 25,000 points. These were points I had BOUGHT with cash. I called and emailed, and received only boilerplate. They really, REALLY don't care.

I will go out of my way to never rent from Hertz, Dollar, or Thrifty again. None of my employees will ever rent from Hertz, Dollar, or Thrifty again. They are dead to us.

Interesting to see the headlines back in May, like "Hertz paid top executives $16 million in bonuses ahead of its bankruptcy filing." Wow. These people are models of incompetence.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by flightline; Dec 31, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by flightline
Just lost 25,000 points. These were points I had BOUGHT with cash. I called and emailed, and received only boilerplate. They really, REALLY don't care.
Jeez, that is alot of points......I thought my loss of 1,700 was something!

On the flip-side of that coin..... for that many points on account it may have behooved you to do a dummy rental as mentioned a few posts up-thread to keep them alive. But if you didn't know.... Hindsight is 20/20!

Out of curiosity, is there some outsized value you can secure from purchasing hertz points with cash as opposed to just paying for rentals as you need them? I personally don't see the upside but I know everyone's travel patterns are different.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by bob12403
According to the FAQ, the answer is it will not reset the timer, you must have a rental:

I would totally do that if there was a Hertz location in my Territory, but they have been shut down. There is no Hertz location I could legally go to, until I have an essential reason to travel, which I don't.

Could the check in with the rental be done over the phone?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:05 pm

I can add a data point now. I reserved a car for a half hour this morning at the closest location to my house (happened to be the airport). Walked in, told them I just needed a reciept. The clerk was a little confused but when I told her I just needed some activity to prevent points from expiring she had no problem taking care of it. I did have to wait a minute because she couldn't check me in and out at the same time (So I rented at 10:37 and returned at 10:38). I booked the cheapest car I could so ended up paying $22 to stop 9500 points from expiring next month.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
I had messaged Hertz on facebook but to no avail of any courtesy points extension. So I did the same as others rented a car on a weekday for ~$45 all-in. Explained what I was wanting to do and although the rep was slightly confused did the checkout/checkin right there and had my receipt. Then, today, receive an email from Hertz saying that points won't expire through 12/31/2021. FIVE DAYS after I spent $45 to save ~6500 points. If I had planned in advance I would have done a weekend rental and actually driven the car for a day for fun... but alas.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I was thinking about doing a rental to extend points in the future but I just got this from Hertz:
(Yes that typo of "rent" is actually in the email like that. Edit: I guess maybe that's not a typo for "rest" and an intended play on words)

a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience. Important Reminder & AnnouncementTo thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Is this for everyone or just certain status levels?
sokolov likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:24 am

Damn, I got that email last night as well. One day after I did my 1 minute rental. Oh well, it was only $22 and I guess I'm set until next June.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.