Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
Can I book a car rental for a friend, using my points?
Would anyone here happen to know?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:47 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Would anyone here happen to know?
This is not possible. You can transfer points to a spouse or domestic partner, but not to others. No way to use your points to book for someone else.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
This is not possible. You can transfer points to a spouse or domestic partner, but not to others. No way to use your points to book for someone else.
:-(

Thank you!

As I understand, the spouse/domestic partner would have to have a pre-existing account, which only comes to life with a rental. Hertz has closed all rental stations in my Territory. The closest station I could legally get to is at least a two day drive away, one-way. (And if I were to drive there, I obviously wouldn't need a rental car.) I have a friend in Berlin who I wanted to gift some rental days to, but as you are explaining, that is not possible. Stinks.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:35 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

:-(

Thank you!

As I understand, the spouse/domestic partner would have to have a pre-existing account, which only comes to life with a rental. Hertz has closed all rental stations in my Territory. The closest station I could legally get to is at least a two day drive away, one-way. (And if I were to drive there, I obviously wouldn't need a rental car.) I have a friend in Berlin who I wanted to gift some rental days to, but as you are explaining, that is not possible. Stinks.
Spouse/domestic partner does not need to have an existing account (they can create a new one) but they need to reside at the same mailing address as you, so it probably won't work in any case.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Spouse/domestic partner does not need to have an existing account (they can create a new one) but they need to reside at the same mailing address as you, so it probably won't work in any case.
And that would reset the expiry date to 18 months? And later they could transfer the points back?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:57 am

Using points is a way to keep points active. If one makes a points rental does the actual have to be within the 18 month period?

Can one simply book a rental for sometime next year and cancel next year or book another rental before before this rental when plans firm up?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by kilo
Using points is a way to keep points active. If one makes a points rental does the actual have to be within the 18 month period?

Can one simply book a rental for sometime next year and cancel next year or book another rental before before this rental when plans firm up?

The actual rental activity has to be within the 18 months. Booking alone doesn't count, whether points or cash.
kilo and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:23 am

I am trying to establish the exact expiry date of my points.

Say I had a rental in May 2019. Picked up May 9, returned May 10. No Hertz rentals since. When exactly will my Hertz points expire, and what is the last day I can pick up a Hertz vehicle for a week-long rental paid with points?

October 25
November 1
November 2
November 9
November 10
November 30
or whatelse?

Thank you.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Has anyone had an issue trying to book with their Hertz points? I've tried it for three rentals - all clicking on the "book with points" option under my account heading - and when I get to the last page before reserving, there is no dropdown menu showing points (I have 3k+). Just trying to figure out if it's a website problem or something else.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:16 pm

I am trying to establish the exact expiry date of my points.

Say I had a rental in May 2019. Picked up May 9, returned May 10. No Hertz rentals since. When exactly will my Hertz points expire, and what is the last day I can pick up a Hertz vehicle for a week-long rental paid with points?

October 25
November 1
November 2
November 9
November 10
November 30
or whatelse?

Thank you.
Hertz tells me I have to book by the 9th, not actually pick up the car by then. But I think I have read here that booking by the expiry date is not sufficient?

Last edited by sokolov; Oct 9, 2020 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 7, 2020, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by melissaru
Has anyone had an issue trying to book with their Hertz points? I've tried it for three rentals - all clicking on the "book with points" option under my account heading - and when I get to the last page before reserving, there is no dropdown menu showing points (I have 3k+). Just trying to figure out if it's a website problem or something else.
Not all car groups can be booked with points. Not all locations allow points bookings. You have to choose "pay at location". And the website sucks.
Hertz tells me I have to book by the 9th, not actually pov up the car by then. But I think I have read here that booking by the expiry date is not sufficient?
You would definitely have to complete the rental, ie return the car, before (or possibly on) the 9th to stop any remaining points left in your account from expiring.

If you're using up all your points that's not an issue. I believe you can book with points beyond your expiry date and you would just lose them if you cancelled.

A points booking only counts as activity to stop points expiring when the rental is completed, not when it is booked.
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 7, 2020 at 4:20 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by melissaru
As Todderz pointed out, Hertz allows locations to not accept points or to have limits on what type of cars allow points, but they don't indicate that in any way on the website, in the last step of your reservation it just doesn't have points as an option. I found that out a couple of years ago when I called in to ask why I was getting the exact same thing you're seeing. It's super annoying and seems like a basic feature for points reservations that they should have fixed by now.

As far as I can tell the cheapest option to keep points alive is to rent whatever the absolute cheapest car is for a day? I have about 10k points expiring in January and nothing planned. For about $30 I can just rent a managers special for a day (or use 750 points if I go that route) and I'm thinking I might do that sometime in December and probably not even drive the car off the lot, basically just stop by the counter to pick up the keys and give them right back but I'm trying to think if there is a cheaper option.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 13, 2020 at 10:34 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:35 am

Location: Illinois USA. AA EXPLT 3MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat Royal Ambassador
I am so mad and frustrated I had over 38,000 points expired last month and don't know if I can ever get it back. I am a consultant and I travel a lot. Unfortunately, last year I had double by-pass open heart surgery and was not able to travel. And then COVID happened this year. Early this year I tried to transfer my points to a mileage program to use the points but Hertz suspended the program. I received an email about extending my points and I "hit" the button to extend it, but not sure what happened. Of course Hertz's customer service is awful and unhelpful. Any help or advice on how I can get any points back is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:57 am

Need to keep points from expiring. Will this do the trick?

I have around 5000 rewards points that will expire in December if I don't have any activity. I am planning a one day rental in my neighborhood in order to preserve my points. If I prepay for the rental and it's non-refundable, will I get points even if I cancel the rental/don't show up? Or do I actually have to drive the car?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by LAXGUY
I have around 5000 rewards points that will expire in December if I don't have any activity. I am planning a one day rental in my neighborhood in order to preserve my points. If I prepay for the rental and it's non-refundable, will I get points even if I cancel the rental/don't show up? Or do I actually have to drive the car?

Thanks in advance.
You need to complete the rental.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.