Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reward reservation - What happens when the car (Z6) is no longer in fleet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming reward reservation (4-day weekend Adrenaline Collection) for the Corvette Stingray (Z6). While my reservation seems to be intact, it appears the car is no longer in the fleet.

Does anyone know what will happen to my reservation? I know I will need to call them to discuss but was wondering if anyone else had prior experience for a similar event.

Given the reservation is over a holiday weekend, I would like to confirm a car in advance as opposed to hope for an upgrade at pickup. Again, I was just wondering if anyone knows how Hertz handles such a situation so I can ask in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
You need to call them and see what they can come up with. My guess will be that they will suggest a Mustang GT Coupe or a Camaro SS Convertible as the nearest equivalents. They've not really got anything to "upgrade" you to from a Corvette.

Do update this post with the outcome.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by SQNfan
Again, I was just wondering if anyone knows how Hertz handles such a situation ...
The short answer is probably "poorly".

If you call reservations, they probably will be of little use, and they make it very difficult to reach the renting location before you are actually standing at the counter.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:43 am

I have an upcoming reward reservation (4-day weekend Adrenaline Collection) for the Corvette Stingray (Z6). While my reservation seems to be intact, it appears the car is no longer in the fleet.

Does anyone know what will happen to my reservation? I know I will need to call them to discuss but was wondering if anyone else had prior experience for a similar event.

Given the reservation is over a holiday weekend, I would like to confirm a car in advance as opposed to hope for an upgrade at pickup. Again, I was just wondering if anyone knows how Hertz handles such a situation so I can ask in advance.
We had a confirmed booking for a Challenger R/T last September (Gold Member), and arrived to an empty space! Took the desk an hour to sort out either a Mustang GT or Camaro Convertible as Challengers were all withdrawn from the fleet.

On our return , we booked a Camaro SS hard top for September 2016 and it was accepted and confirmed, but on checking the website for a better price a few weeks later it then became unavailable despite my confirmed booking.
I contacted customer service who provided a contact email for LAS who confirmed to me that they only had Mustangs and Camaro SS Convertables, no hard top SS's or Challengers.

This is pretty poor, they should at least advise if a vehicle becomes unavailable?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It probably makes a difference as to where you are renting, as well.

I would like to hold out for a Porsche or something like that, but you're likely to find that an agent is going to want to push you into a Mustang or Camaro.

If you can rebook into a Porsche at a sensible additional cost, or downgrade to a Mustang/Camaro with a decent saving, I would do that.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the experiences. Since this is an anniversary trip while leaving the daughter at home we were looking to have a bit of fun but not set on the Corvette. Since I don't want to lose a lot of time arguing at the counter I will likely attempt to upgrade at a reasonable surcharge or simply cancel and book an alternative given I have a few weeks.

I will update once resolved. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Since it is SFO there should be a reasonable chance something nice will be available, it's just a matter of how much the local office is willing to work with me since most will technically be "Dream Cars" which don't allow reward redemptions, even if the daily cost is lower.

In speaking with the local branch I was told it was too far out to confirm anything other than what the rules allow (effectively a downgrade to a Camero/Mustang). Since we want to begin our vacation instead of playing games at the counter they suggested I call back 1-2 days before at which point they would have more flexibility.

While I assume that was a way to postpone the conversation and make it someone else's problem, it's what I plan to do...as well as secure some alternatives in case they don't come through.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Does anyone know what will happen to my reservation?
They will put you into something comparable or bigger (in their mind, bigger=better). Enjoy your Escalade.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Now that the trip has been completed I can confirm Mike at the SFO location took great care of us! The day before our rental I called up to check in and was ultimately forwarded to the location manager, Mike. He apologized for the error and explained that when the Corvette's were pulled they went through the bookings proactively to make new arrangements. However, since we booked far in advance they must not have gone back far enough and indicated when we arrived we would pick anything off the lot. FWIW, I did book 10 months early as it was our 10-year anniversary and I wanted to use points on a holiday weekend.

When we arrived at SFO, we met with Mike and he noted that against all odds, a Corvette was actually delivered a couple hours before our reservation. Nothing like cutting it close! However, Mike offered to stand by his word and offered us the Corvette or any other car on the lot! My wife went straight for a white 911. Instead we were walked over a couple aisles where a new 911 had just arrived.

Ultimately, we left with a 2016 Porsche 911 with 333 (yes, 333) miles on it...all for the cost of 6,600 points and $34 in taxes for our 4 day rental! Plus, we were given the Dream Car treatment and driven to the gate in a Town Car. While I cannot confirm this is "regular practice", in this case we were certainly happy and well taken care of!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.