Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Ford Shelby GT-H

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
2016 Ford Shelby GT-H

Ford, Shelby American, and Hertz will unveil the 2016 Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang at the New York Auto Show as a spiritual successor to the famous 1966 GT350-H. The year marks the 50th anniversary of the original Rent-A-Racer, and it's also 10 years since the 2006 GT-H's debut in the Big Apple.

The latest GT-H starts as a 2016 Mustang GT. It keeps the original's classic look that combines a black exterior with gold strips over the body and along the side. Shelby American also adds a more aggressive body kit that includes a vented hood, a carbon fiber front splitter, and a rear spoiler. GT-H badges in the grille and on the trunk lid show this Mustang is something special. Inside, the logo adorns the headrests, sill plates, and floor mats.

To continue the Rent-A-Racer legacy, a Mustang needs extra performance. To give the GT-H's 5.0-liter V8 a meaner sound, it has a cat-back exhaust from Ford Performance. Cornering should be better thanks to the Ford Racing Handling Pack, which includes lower springs, retuned dampers, and new sway bars. The special 'Stang rides on matte black 19-inch wheels with GT-H center caps and Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires. Ford spokesperson Matt Leaver tells Autoblog the Blue Oval is still finalizing the model's official output, and they all come with an automatic gearbox.

Shelby American will build 140 examples of the 2016 GT-H. They'll be available starting Memorial Day weekend from Hertz's Adrenaline Collection at select airports. Company spokesperson Lauren Luster tells Autoblog the business isn't yet confirming the daily rate to rent one. If the price is right, getting one of these for the holiday weekend could be an exciting way to enjoy the warmer weather.

Source

Looks great. After 3 weeks with Penske GT, I think I am gonna plan my next holidays again somewhere in the USA. Who will rent it first?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz President
I hope it has room for a car seat!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
I've just seen one showing up among May rentals in Las Vegas. ^
$359 for 1 weekend day (with Delta CDP) before the taxes and the airport ransom.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by shady
Looks great. After 3 weeks with Penske GT, I think I am gonna plan my next holidays again somewhere in the USA. Who will rent it first?
The Penske GT is gonna be hard to beat.

The Shelby has suspension modifications, but doesn't say anything about upgrading the tune like the Penske had.

I'm sure the Shelby will be nice, but the last one Hertz had was not much more than an exhaust package and tighter suspension (iirc). I had one reserved but it didn't come back in time, so I had to "settle" for a brand new Corvette convertible.

I was able to get the Penske GT after requesting an upgrade from a Camaro convertible I rented once for $77/day - the upgrade, if available was free - I guess because I requested it directly from the location (PHX). I was available and we had a blast!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
I had the 'old' one so many times at Hertz I can advise anyone to get it whenever possible. The noise, the way it drives.. PERFECT!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold 5 *
Its now listed on the website, but unavailable to be booked anytime on/after memorial day. Anyone got any luck? :\
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
For those who booked this car using points, how do you deal with the insurance? Not sure if I should get the insurance that Hertz offers, get the AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection policy, or use one of my CC's that offers primary (ex. CSP).

Also, anyone know what the MSRP is for this vehicle?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:50 am

There is a high chance that Mustang Shelby is excluded from AmEx insurance. MSRP isn't the only qualifier, the conditions state that they don't cover rare/antique/exclusive/sport vehicles.
You have to ask AmEx about this specific model. Better receive the reply in writing - you can't quote the conversation with a customer service rep in a dispute, and the person on the phone won't know such specifics.
For this car only I would take Hertz insurance
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Which airports typically have these types of cars?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:26 am

Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San-Francisco, Seattle - these are the ones where I've seen Shelby listed.
Unfortunately, NYC and the North-Eastern airports have very few exciting cars, to put it politely.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold 5 *
Just arrived sfo yesterday, and saw 2-3 GT-H parking next the gold reward center.

The asking price was 250/day.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: United, Marriott
I saw 3 at SFO on Sunday. FYI since this is an adrenaline car you can rent with points, however I quoted out a week out of SEA in the summer and I would still be on the hook for $550 in taxes since the rack rate is something like $3k for the rate.

Not worth it for a Mustang IMO.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC, AAdvantage Platinum, United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold
2 parked on ramps at LAX
Old May 18, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by gtslow
I saw 3 at SFO on Sunday. FYI since this is an adrenaline car you can rent with points, however I quoted out a week out of SEA in the summer and I would still be on the hook for $550 in taxes since the rack rate is something like $3k for the rate.

Not worth it for a Mustang IMO.
You could get the previous Penske GT for $80-$90 a day with some negotiation. I assume it is possible with GTH as well.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: United, Marriott
I have one reserved in Orlando the week of the 6th. I've owned a previous generation Mustang GT and have been around performance cars for most of my adult life. Ride report coming soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.