Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What kind of insurance should a foreign renter buy when renting from Hertz in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of insurance should a foreign renter buy when renting from Hertz in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

I have a friend from Norway who is visiting the US for the first time next week.
She will be staying with me for a week before continuing to NYC and Boston.

When she arrives at ORD, she plans to rent a car from Hertz. As a foreign
visitor, what type insurance/waiver or any other extra coverage can she buy
from Hertz? I assume extra liability insurance and loss damage waiver
are essential? She has no rental car coverage on either of her credit cards.
(Visa and MC issued by Norwegian banks)

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
AFAIK you can get any of the insurance offerings as a foreign renter. Hertz's are listed here:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...ES&EOAG=MSPT11
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
She should book in her own country, where the rates will be lower than a walk-up, and probably stick with the included insurance (LDW and third party liability will be included in the rates).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
She should book in her own country, where the rates will be lower than a walk-up, and probably stick with the included insurance (LDW and third party liability will be included in the rates).
she is from Norway, but currently lives in the UK. She booked on Hertz's
UK website, but didn't see any rates that included LDW. She doesn't
own a personal car because her has a car that her company leased for her.
I assume the title and insurance are all under the UK company's name,
and probably never extend to personal rental in a foreign country(US).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:36 pm

It seems that you might have to pay the outrageous Hertz CDW fee if she doesn't have a credit card or insurance that can cover her. It might be cheaper to buy LDW + civil liability online from various providers such as icarhireinsurance that cater to UK residents. However, some providers might not be very trustworthy and might not honour your claims if an accident does happen.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If she books through the hertz.no site, it'll automatically include LDW (which covers the rental car) and LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement), which covers damage to other cars or persons in a crash where your friend is responsible.

That should cover her fine.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
If she books through the hertz.no site, it'll automatically include LDW (which covers the rental car) and LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement), which covers damage to other cars or persons in a crash where your friend is responsible.

I just texted that info to her. I assume the best thing to do right now is
for her to cancel the reservation that she made on Hertz.co.uk and
rebook on Hertz.no?

I know her pretty well, but I didn't think it would be wise to let her borrow
my own car for a week or two.(for insurance reasons) Or am I being rude
to her?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
If she made a reservation on hertz.co.uk, it very likely included the same insurance coverage. She should check the email she got from them. Under Included, it should mention Loss Damage Waiver and Liability Insurance Supplement. If she looks up the reservation on the website, it should provide the same information.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
I know her pretty well, but I didn't think it would be wise to let her borrow
my own car for a week or two.(for insurance reasons) Or am I being rude
to her?
It should be fine with your car insurance if it's a one-time thing. Just make sure that she doesn't compensate you directly with cash so that you aren't violating your car insurance by "renting" out your vehicle. It would also depend on how you rate her driving abilities. An accident claim will most likely raise your insurance premium.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cestmoi123

+1. Basically she should make sure she has LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) + LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement) to cover her. Booking a rental with yur location set to a place in Europe (basically outside the US/ Canada) usually does the trick and rates offered are often inclusive of this type of insurance.

While I do have rental car insurance via a credit card and usually use that card for payment, it can be much less hassle some in case of a claim if you got the coverage via Hertz than having to deal with your own foreign insurance provider and the rental car firm. YMMV.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:55 pm

My understanding is that whereas most US car insurance policies include coverage for the policyholder when renting vehicles, most European car insurance policies are specific to a vehicle. The US rental agencies know this and automatically include LDW and LIS in most rates that are booked through their European websites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.