Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Billed for gas on a full tank... now what??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

I guess it was bound to happen after so many rentals... Got hit with a refueling charge. I had just finished filling up the tank and even showed the receipt to the returns agent. She said they'd email me a receipt and I could be on my way... I NEVER do that but this time I decided to roll with it.

Anyway, now what? I confirmed a full tank with them so I threw out the receipt. I paid for gas with a credit card, so can I use that to prove I filled up the tank? How should I go about disputing this? I could just dispute the whole thing but perhaps there's an easier way...

Thanks!

-J.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I recently had an incorrect fuelling charge applied

I emailed customer service and included proof of purchase of fuel ; next day I phoned Hertz Customer Relations and made sure it had the email+receipt ;I got a text message back from Hertz Customer Relations within the day confirming that it had credited me with the fuel charge back to the credit card
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note to self: Save those gas receipts for a long time.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I recently had an incorrect fuelling charge applied

I emailed customer service and included proof of purchase of fuel ; next day I phoned Hertz Customer Relations and made sure it had the email+receipt ;I got a text message back from Hertz Customer Relations within the day confirming that it had credited me with the fuel charge back to the credit card
I suppose I should try that first. I'm used to not getting a response for over a month, but if I give them a week until I dispute perhaps it'll go quicker...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note to self: Save those gas receipts for a long time.
Yup ^

-J.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I suppose I should try that first. I'm used to not getting a response for over a month, but if I give them a week until I dispute perhaps it'll go quicker...
Send an email with the receipt and give it a day - then can phone and follow up - worked painlessly and quickly for me

If you did just try to dispute the charge, the card company should ask whether you have tried with the retailer 1st and generally not accept the dispute until the retailer is given a chance to address it
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am very savvy at getting customer relations and issues solved. So much so that friends and family consult me frequently for advice usually to positive resolutions.

I had a similar issue a couple years ago where I returned a hertz rental car with what I thought was a full tank of gas, they thought differently, and I was charged $16 for a gallon of gas. ( no receipt)

It was the only company I have ever encountered that moving up the hierarchy of CSRs and supervisors all the way to corporate NO ONE could or would help. For $16 they lost my business and Hertz went onto the record books as the only company that I could not get a satisfactory customer response.

It said a lot to me about how their CSRs are trained and given the lack of power to resolve issues and complaints from the client.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I wrote an email, and gave them until next Monday. I'll call if I don't get a response by Tuesday; I hesitate, though, since I really don't feel like dealing with the phone tree and being put on hold for 20 minutes, which almost always happens. I shouldn't have to call them at 3am to get a rep in a reasonable amount of time.

-J.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Hertz = notorious for charging for fuel when returning a full tank.

It happens so often I take pictures of the full meter + my gas receipt and the car; have had to send it as proof far too many times. Disgusting practice by Hertz locations (especially IAH).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How much was it for? The new ~$14 fee, or something different?

As others have said, email customer service. Include a screenshot from your credit card website that should show enough details of the transaction to keep them happy.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david4455
It was the only company I have ever encountered that moving up the hierarchy of CSRs and supervisors all the way to corporate NO ONE could or would help. For $16 they lost my business and Hertz went onto the record books as the only company that I could not get a satisfactory customer response.
Same experience with Hertz customer service, only on other issues. Utterly unresponsive and zero interest in doing anything to solve issues and retain customers. Hertz lost my weekly rental business. If the OP actually manages to reach someone who gives a darn and obtains satisfaction, I'll buy him a beer.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:15 pm

I would personally have called them up, see what the notes say.

I had a fuel charge for a rental and could show the tank was full as I had the pic, anyway a bit of talking to the person and he said he could not work out what the branch had done, they had charged for a previous rental of some sort and he decided the branch was not making sense, so he returned cost over the call.

I would say call and see if your email is there and if say u are disputing as u refueled.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
How much was it for? The new ~$14 fee, or something different?

As others have said, email customer service. Include a screenshot from your credit card website that should show enough details of the transaction to keep them happy.
There was a $13.99 fuel service fee.

I didn't include a screenshot, primarily because I didn't think of it at the time, but if they request it I can certainly provide it.

Originally Posted by suley
I would personally have called them up, see what the notes say.

I had a fuel charge for a rental and could show the tank was full as I had the pic, anyway a bit of talking to the person and he said he could not work out what the branch had done, they had charged for a previous rental of some sort and he decided the branch was not making sense, so he returned cost over the call.

I would say call and see if your email is there and if say u are disputing as u refueled.
I'll call tomorrow or Wednesday. Sitting on hold sucks but I suppose if I really want my money back...

Perhaps $14 seems like it's not worth pursuing, but considering that it should have been a $14 rental in total, I'm really not pleased.

-J.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
There was a $13.99 fuel service fee.
This is the new less-than-75-miles fee discussed here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...s-receipt.html

Technically a photo of the gas gauge as some others have suggested won't help, as the whole point of this fee is for cases where you've driven a short enough distance that the gauge can still show full. (That's not to say of course that it's not still a good idea!)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
This is the new less-than-75-miles fee discussed here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...s-receipt.html

Technically a photo of the gas gauge as some others have suggested won't help, as the whole point of this fee is for cases where you've driven a short enough distance that the gauge can still show full. (That's not to say of course that it's not still a good idea!)
Good point, I didn't realize that. But I did show the agent my gas receipt!

Still nothing from Hertz. I will call tomorrow if I get a chance.

-J.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I normally buy a full tank from them as I normally drive way more than 75 miles. The price is not that outrageous and yes I might loose some fuel to them but it saves our time finding a gas station near the airport plus in case the car has some kind of digital fuel gauge they will charge you for it (I read it a while ago on Avis's forum here at FT) - we don't know how to tell if one is like that or not, as the cars here in Europe are not as advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.