$14 without gas receipt

Old Jun 24, 15, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

$14 without gas receipt

Notice of Change to Hertz® Gold Rental Terms
The Notice and Revision below hereby amends and replaces Section 8. “Refueling Options” of The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Rental Terms, Part II. B. - Terms And Conditions Applicable To Rentals In The United States And Canada. This notice of modification is provided in accordance with the Terms of your Gold Plus Rewards Membership. Making a Program rental subsequent to the effective date will constitute an acceptance of the updated Terms.

Summary
Beginning on 7/15/2015 there will be a new refueling option for Hertz rentals in the United States. This Express Fuel option applies at select locations to rentals during which the entire distance driven is 75 miles or less. If you drive 75 miles or less and do not purchase gas, or purchase gas but fail to produce a receipt, a charge of $13.99 will be applied. If you drive 75 miles or less and produce a receipt of a fuel purchase made during your rental, the $13.99 charge will not be applied.
Old Jun 24, 15, 7:47 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by sosafan View Post
Notice of Change to Hertz® Gold Rental Terms
The Notice and Revision below hereby amends and replaces Section 8. “Refueling Options” of The Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Rental Terms, Part II. B. - Terms And Conditions Applicable To Rentals In The United States And Canada. This notice of modification is provided in accordance with the Terms of your Gold Plus Rewards Membership. Making a Program rental subsequent to the effective date will constitute an acceptance of the updated Terms.

Summary
Beginning on 7/15/2015 there will be a new refueling option for Hertz rentals in the United States. This Express Fuel option applies at select locations to rentals during which the entire distance driven is 75 miles or less. If you drive 75 miles or less and do not purchase gas, or purchase gas but fail to produce a receipt, a charge of $13.99 will be applied. If you drive 75 miles or less and produce a receipt of a fuel purchase made during your rental, the $13.99 charge will not be applied.
Terrible for the renter - that assumes you used 4-6 gallons at current gas prices. That said, I usually take my gas receipt with me anyway when I return the car. It will just be even more important to do so going forward.
Old Jun 24, 15, 7:51 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AmEx Plat, Hertz can go to hell
$14 without gas receipt

Hertz continues its swim to the bottom of the barrel. What a terrible company. As soon as my Costco amex goes byebye next March with my 5% off hertz purchases, it's byebye hertz for me.
Old Jun 24, 15, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What a horribly anti-customer move.
Old Jun 24, 15, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This is beginning to be industry standard practice. Always keep your receipt.
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hertz, HHonors & Wyndham Rewards
Thumbs down

Piss poor idea. How will gas receipts work for off-hours key drops? I need my receipts for my work travel, but now I'm supposed to include it in the key drop if I return outside their business hours.

Another car rental company is starting to sound better and better to me!

Old Jun 24, 15, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA 1.67MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Just got the email as well. Epic fail of Hertz.

Keep your receipt at all times.
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:12 pm
Suspended

On the other side of this story are the jerks who return cars which still show "Full" but which have a fair amount less than a full tank. I got screwed this way a couple of weeks ago; drove a small car 36 miles, and it took 3-1/2 gallons to fill it, where it should have been about 1-1/2 gallons, max.
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:49 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, AmEx Plat, Hertz can go to hell
$14 without gas receipt

That's hertz's fault. They should have checked the fuel level at the return and topped it off, and charged the previous renter.
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:51 pm
Used to be hamajicky

$14 without gas receipt

Also, half the time I pay at the pump the receipt printer is broken. That means I have to go inside to get the receipt which always takes more time than it should.
Old Jun 24, 15, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
That's hertz's fault. They should have checked the fuel level at the return and topped it off, and charged the previous renter.
Doesn't matter to them; costs them nothing, and the next renter gets screwed. Of course, the company may be the ones just barely filling the tanks so they read full.
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
half the time I pay at the pump the receipt printer is broken
Either you're grossly exaggerating or exceptionally unlucky.

I rent and buy gas nationwide and my rate of print failure is less than 5%.
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Doesn't matter to them; costs them nothing, and the next renter gets screwed. Of course, the company may be the ones just barely filling the tanks so they read full.
I guess the right answer is to always put in no more than a gallon for every ~30 miles you drove so you're not gifting Hertz much extra gas on a short rental.
Luckily if I put gas on my corp. card I don't need the receipt for my expense report.

Personally, I either drive a significant distance and just fill it up, which usually reads well over full. If I only drove 20 miles for a quick business trip in town and it reads full on the way back to the airport I make a Karma withdrawal and figure I've "overfilled" enough cars over the years that it all works out. No more of that.
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
This is exactly the same policy that Avis/Budget have, and of course the same price.

I've been renting from Avis far more than Hertz recently, and most of my rentals are less than 75 miles, so I hit this a lot. In general it's not an issue at all, although I do strike the occasional returns person who screws it up and charges the $13.99 even though you've shown them the receipt. Generally it's an easy fix, but on at least one occasion it's required a trip to the counter to fix...
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Hertz is an above average car rental company. I like them and National the best. This new rule isn't so much a pain, but it's another thing I have to remember to do while on vacation. I don't like it. IF I can get a similar deal with National I will go there. They never knit-picked me on the gas thing. Unless I'm totally in outer space... and National is doing this also. ?

Search this Thread