Hertz Terminal Drive Back $25

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Hertz Terminal Drive Back $25

Last Wednesday, the day of my Hertz return at MCO, I received an email from Hertz for Hertz Terminal Drive Back for $25 (something many of us have received for free from time to time when offered at return):
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hertz Terminal Drive Back

In a hurry and don't want to wait for the bus? Let Hertz take you directly to your terminal!

It's easy: Just bring your car to the Hertz Return Area, and a representative will deliver you and your luggage to the terminal for your flight. No worries or hassles!

Purchase Price only $25. Applied to your final rental charge by choosing “Select Now” below.

Select Now to Reserve Your Spot

Act now this service is subject to availability.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Kinda worthless at MCO since you walk from the car rental garage area to your terminal. First time I've ever received an email like this from Hertz. For marketing purposes, I'd say the timing wasn't great from Hertz either since it appeared just hours before my flight and I didn't check my email that afternoon.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I accepted the service twice FOR FREE. Perhaps they decided to start charging for it.

I agree, it's not worth it in MCO since you're so close to the terminal
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I got that email today, too........ too bad I did not see it until I was in the terminal!

When I saw the title in my in-box, I assumed it was because I had been renting a Dream Collection car (where the deal used to be that they would take you to the terminal for free), but on reading it, it is clear that the "offer" is available to anyone.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: MR PremPlat, DL DM 1M, AA Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
The drive back feature is usually helpful for me when the rental station is away from the terminal and

1) I have large luggage on hand (e.g. golf clubs). OR
2) Running late and can't afford to wait for shuttle bus

I usually just ask the returning agent to see if somebody's available and it was FREE and giving the agent a nice $5 tip for taking me.

So the $25 charge for me is a way for hertz to charge me more for a service that a person can typically request.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I got this email last week. Horribly timed though as the email came while I was already on the EWR train back to the terminal.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:47 pm

Ridiculous to charge $25 for this... it was free for a while as other mentioned.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:37 pm

Just saw a post about this on Cruise Critic. The person returned their Hertz rental to FLL and were told if they wanted a ride to the terminal, it was $25. They felt ripped off because it was made to sound to them like this is how people get back to the terminal from the rental centre, when in fact the courtesy shuttles still run. They were just told "this is how it's done now".
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see that there is enough information to see whether this is a reasonable inferrence from the renter

I would say that nearly all people returning to an airport location that is crappily not at the airport terminals are used to/aware of the shuttle service

Would sound like the person asked about being taken by car to the terminal

Seems unreasonable to expect such a service to be free
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DanJ
Just saw a post about this on Cruise Critic. The person returned their Hertz rental to FLL and were told if they wanted a ride to the terminal, it was $25. They felt ripped off because it was made to sound to them like this is how people get back to the terminal from the rental centre, when in fact the courtesy shuttles still run. They were just told "this is how it's done now".
And at T1, you just walk across the enclosed walkway.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
$20 at DCA

I recently received this offer for $20 to drive back upon return at DCA.

It was sent overnight before the day of return so at least they have gotten better at delivering in timely manner.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:00 am

Used Drive Back - Now Hertz Can't Find Car

We used the drive back feature at Boston Logan, my mother is handicapped so it was more convenient than shuttling back to the terminal - so for us worth the $25 charge. I was told I'd get my receipt emailed, after 3 days - no receipt and Hertz doesn't seem to know where the car is.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:02 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brenstrom
We used the drive back feature at Boston Logan, my mother is handicapped so it was more convenient than shuttling back to the terminal - so for us worth the $25 charge. I was told I'd get my receipt emailed, after 3 days - no receipt and Hertz doesn't seem to know where the car is.
Perhaps it has a second life as a Uber - with you footing the bill.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Maybe three years ago, I was regularly offered a drive back at LAX at drop off - with no charge. Continued for a year or so, then nothing.

Ffwd to August 2016, I received an email offer for the drive back at 20USD. As I was dropping off at ATL I jumped at the chance... three large bags, one surf board, one frisky five year old :-).

The driver wasn't too impressed when she realised I wanted the international terminal, ensuring a colleague informed 'the boss', but was as nice as pie once under way. We had a jolly good chat.

Adey
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
When I've used the driveback (often get it for free at LGA, when I'm traveling with a child in a carseat), they process the return, and then drive us back, so I have the receipt in hand.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never asked a Hertz agent to drive me to the terminal. I've never inferred that this would automatically be offered, mainly because I wouldn't assume Hertz was staffed to do it. These days, they often seem understaffed to process returns timely as it is.

However, if it was available at all, it seems like something that would be free (or maybe a small charge...$5 or whatever), plus tip. If it was free and I really wanted it, I'd probably tip $10 for it. If it's $25, I'm simply not going to use it unless it's an emergency, and I'm unlikely to tip at all on top of that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.