Hertz Cancun Scam

Old Feb 19, 15, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Hertz Cancun Scam

It was daylight robbery at Hertz Cancun. I booked my rental on Hertz.com and was quoted US$32 for 2 days. I was skeptical about the cheap rates and was honestly prepared to pay a bit more for whatever taxes or fees they were going to charge me.

When I was at the counter to pick up my car, the agent said they had a promotion to give me a FREE upgrade and a FREE GPS. I asked him twice if these were FREE and he was definite. He also asked me if I would like to take their insurance for $US24 a day and he reiterated that they do not accept credit card insurance. Driving in Mexico for the first time, I took the insurance he offered.

I had just taken a couple of long haul flights and I was tired. I signed the paperwork in a hurry and trusted what the agent said which later proved to be my biggest mistake. The rental agreement charge was in Peso while everything they quoted was in USD. I didn't do my homework and was not sure about the exchange rate so I signed it. When I returned the car I had a better idea of the exchange rate and only then had I realised I had been ripped off. The total charge was changed from US$80 (original quoted $32+ insurance for two days $48) to 2218 Peso (roughly $150).

I checked the bill and found the upgrade was not free and GPS was not free. I cannot believe someone would just lie to my face. In Mexico apparently for free = for a free.

I have learned my lessons.
Old Feb 19, 15, 1:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
I have learned my lessons.
First lesson in car rental I'm afraid.. don't sign the contract or drive of the lot until you have actually checked the rates and conditions.
Second is to inspect and document any damages.....
Old Feb 19, 15, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
First lesson in car rental I'm afraid.. don't sign the contract or drive of the lot until you have actually checked the rates and conditions.
Second is to inspect and document any damages.....
Yes, can't believe I made those rookie mistakes but certainly wouldn't believe companies like Hertz would tell you something is free when it's not. Sometimes after a long flight you are not quite yourself I guess.
Old Feb 19, 15, 2:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Employees get paid for every up-sell they make, so it's not really surprising.
Unfortunately that seems to be how it works at most of the rental car companies.

And yes, being less savvy after a long flight, and sometimes another long wait, is also what they count/prey on.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 19, 15 at 3:00 am
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Hertz Cancun is a franchisee, and a notoriously bad one. Hertz would really do its brand a favor by taking over that operation, but I doubt it's legally or politically feasible.
Old Feb 19, 15, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Employees get paid for every up-sell they make, so it's not really surprising.
Unfortunately that seems to be how it works at most of the rental car companies.

And yes, being less savvy after a long flight, and sometimes another long wait, is also what they count/prey on.
Up-sell is one thing but you don't up-sell a product by lying to the customer.
Old Feb 19, 15, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, US Gold
When we first started traveling to Cabo, the posted rates-of all well know rental companies-were incredibly inexpensive. The add ons jacked it way up. We now go through a local guy with great results. Doesn't help with the lying you experienced, but explains your cheap rates.
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Grr. Got a rental from that location coming up in just under 2 weeks. Bracing myself for this now. Can anyone confirm that these locations 'don't' work with credit card provided insurance? I just skimmed the FAQ of the Amex plat insurance page and it states:

"Coverage is available internationally, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand."

Im was planning to just refuse the additional insurance and pay with my Amex.
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Can anyone confirm that these locations 'don't' work with credit card provided insurance?

"Coverage is available internationally, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand."

Im was planning to just refuse the additional insurance and pay with my Amex.
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think they have a choice. If they accept your CC as payment, then they can only collect money from you through said CC. If your CC insurance is covering you then they will reimburse you for said damage. If the rental company refuses to provide proof of your liability to said CC company, then they have no grounds to dispute a charge back (if necessary) and will therefore receive no money at all.

No CC insurance was another lie to collect more money from the OP, I am certain.
Old Feb 19, 15, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by davew277 View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think they have a choice. If they accept your CC as payment, then they can only collect money from you through said CC. If your CC insurance is covering you then they will reimburse you for said damage. If the rental company refuses to provide proof of your liability to said CC company, then they have no grounds to dispute a charge back (if necessary) and will therefore receive no money at all.

No CC insurance was another lie to collect more money from the OP, I am certain.
Thats what i thought....insurance is insurance (as long as its valid of course). Just want to make sure ive got my facts right incase i need to fight them on it -_-
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:39 pm

Yeah, so long as your CC company states that they cover you there, then you're covered. Hertz can't really do anything about it. The only way they could not work with insurance by their choice would be to refuse the CC as payment altogether.

Otherwise it would be like if the 2 of us got into an accident and you use State Farm. Then I told you, "I'm sorry, I don't work with State Farm so you're SOL! Pay me cash!"

I'm sure you know how that would end.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line though is that the fight is upfront. You don't sign for the insurance upsell, you don't get the keys to the car. You later dispute and the agency provides the signed contract with the upsell.

These guys are savvy and have thought this through.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:51 pm

I guess they could do that. I'd make sure to have backup reservations somewhere else and I'd also call whoever I could and tell them that they are refusing to honor my reservation because I'm refusing their upsell. Then I'd leave and go to one of my backup rentals if they persist.
Old Feb 19, 15, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
In Mexico, you really need Mexican insurance. You can be held in the local hoosegow until payment for any accident is guaranteed, and that may take a day or two with non-Mexican insurance. Definitely not worth the risk.
Old Feb 19, 15, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
In Mexico, you really need Mexican insurance. You can be held in the local hoosegow until payment for any accident is guaranteed, and that may take a day or two with non-Mexican insurance. Definitely not worth the risk.
Point taken. I was unaware of this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: