Hertz Cancun Scam

Old Feb 19, 15, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - I suspect that you are talking about CC damage insurance, not liability insurance for damage caused to others and their property. Not talking about a ding in the windshield, but where the other driver is hospitalized for a while.

As to the GPS, I would initiate a chargeback, but explain that you did sign the contract because you were tired and the agent told you that it was free. Better to have said it than wait for the rental agency to submit the contract as proof that you agreed. Will still be a he said, she said, but maybe you catch a break.
Old Feb 19, 15, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm looking to book a car in Cozumel. Am I in for similar problems? Do franchise locations accept reward point reservations?
Old Feb 20, 15, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
These guys are savvy and have thought this through.
Exactly, assuming that things in Mexico work like they do in most other places is not always the smart thing to do. You simply won't get the car.
Old May 14, 16, 11:38 am
Formerly known as pmclean

I was overcharged last month upon return of my car at Hertz Cancun. The rate I booked says "guaranteed" and included the liability coverage, which I added at the time of my online booking. I was overcharged by 25% on return and the return agents were pretty happy to argue in circles.

So I left hoping Hertz customer relations would honor the guaranteed rental price when I contacted them, but instead they routed me to the Cancun office and have since ignored all of my follow up emails and promises to return calls.

The Cancun office merely response saying I ADDED insurance, thus the difference in price. Even though I continue to contact them, their response is still that bold faced lie, IF they even bother to respond.

I had hoped Hertz corporate would care more about their reputation and their guaranteed rates. But this location is a scam. Beware. Last year they even asked for a bribe of tequila when I rented - so that I could bypass the insurance.
Old May 20, 16, 9:58 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
and a FREE GPS. I asked him twice if these were FREE and he was definite. He also asked me if I would like to take their insurance for $US24 a day and he reiterated that they do not accept credit card insurance.

this is one hundred per cent a bona fide lie. all the way. if you damage the car, the first thing they will do is bill your credit card. the premise of your credit card insurance is that if you do not accept any third party (rental company) insurance, they will cover you 100 per cent up to a certain limit (like 50 000 usd, no trucks, cargo vans, or luxury). so for them to say they won't "accept" credit card insurance is . it's a lie. an agent in mex tried this with me and i , flipped a table over and then all of a sudden they "took" my insurance.

your insurance is between you and them, not them and hertz.

i'm sorry to hear this. but fam yourself with your cc insurance and understand how it works. then you won't get scammed like this again.
Originally Posted by parismama View Post
I was overcharged last month upon return of my car at Hertz Cancun. The rate I booked says "guaranteed" and included the liability coverage, which I added at the time of my online booking. I was overcharged by 25% on return and the return agents were pretty happy to argue in circles.

So I left hoping Hertz customer relations would honor the guaranteed rental price when I contacted them, but instead they routed me to the Cancun office and have since ignored all of my follow up emails and promises to return calls.

The Cancun office merely response saying I ADDED insurance, thus the difference in price. Even though I continue to contact them, their response is still that bold faced lie, IF they even bother to respond.

I had hoped Hertz corporate would care more about their reputation and their guaranteed rates. But this location is a scam. Beware. Last year they even asked for a bribe of tequila when I rented - so that I could bypass the insurance.
you should just do a charge back.

i rent in peru, mexico, africa all the time and i get weird charges afterwards. i'm so sick and tired of it i just spreadsheet it then call my cc once a month to charge back in batches of 6-10 a month. they instantly reverse, say they'll investigate, then 2 months later i get a letter saying "the merchant did not provide us the required paperwork in time" and i never hear back.

merchants get dinged a lot (something like 5% at the start, then if unsubstantiated or no paperwork provided in time an additional 10 percent), so go that route. if everyone were to, we prob wouldn't be here in the first place
Old May 24, 16, 5:12 pm

I just got back froma quick trip to Cancun, and found out that these guys are total crooks.

I made my reservation online, and am mid-tier with Hertz, so I'm pretty used to how things go. When I arrived at the location, the lady at the Gold Plus Rewards desk started treating me as if it was a whole new reservation, then she added the top-tier insurance package without asking, then told me they didn't have any full-size vehicles available but I could pay more for an SUV, and so on. IT was a nasty, nasty experience, but fortunately I speak decent Spanish and pushed back at all of this until my VW Jetta magically appeared and they agreed to leave my reservation as I had made it online.

Oh, and then when I was about ready to head outside and get my car, she mumbled about being charged an extra 5% fee if I paid with my Amex card.

But the real crime was afterwards. Turned out, the gas gauge in the car did not work. It showed full when I left, but later having dfriven for a few days, I went to fill up the car, and afterwards the gas gauge only showed 3/4 full. I throught the Pemex station had ripped me off, so I went to another one and asked them to fill me up, but the attendant said the car was already completely full, yet the gas gauge showed only 3/4. At which point the attendant pointed out that this is a common scam done by some rental car companies there.

Sure enough, arrived to return the car, and they said it wasn't full. It was only 3/4s so they would charge me for the extra gas plus a fee. I had to argue with them until they physically saw that it was impossible to add any more gas, and it was indeed full. Finally they relented.

In the end, I escaped having paid only what was on my original online reservation. But it was a nasty fight all the way to keep from getting ripped off, and I'm sure I was only able to come out of it the way I did because I was calm, unyielding, and spoke Spanish.

Also: every single person asked me for a tip. From the guy who drove me from the terminal to the rental car, to the lady who tried to scam me at the GoldPlus counter, to the guy who brought me the car, etc. Every single one without any shame asked me for a gratuity, even after trying to rip me off.

I've been going down to Mexico very regularly for work (usually Mexico City) for the last 4 years or so, and I've never had a bad experience (and that includes getting hit by a car and ending up in the hospital.) I love Mexico and the Mexican people, but this experience in Cancun, especially with Hertz... I've never felt so much like prey surrounded by cold-blooded predators as I did during this trip. And the top predators were the people at the airport Hertz location.
Old Jul 19, 16, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Hertz Cancun is a franchisee, and a notoriously bad one. Hertz would really do its brand a favor by taking over that operation, but I doubt it's legally or politically feasible.
Concur. I posted my experience (truly awful) on the Cancun master car rental thread in the Mexico forum. Unfortunately the competition is no better, it's simply a roll of the dice when renting in Mexico
Old Oct 19, 16, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG100, Marriott Plat, United 1K, Hertz Pres, Peasant Rest:)
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Concur. I posted my experience (truly awful) on the Cancun master car rental thread in the Mexico forum. Unfortunately the competition is no better, it's simply a roll of the dice when renting in Mexico

Fully agreed on the Cancun rental experience. I had the very same issues with the Insurance. Ultimately they said they will let me use my CC insurance as long as I can provide a document proving that the said insurance covers Mexico. Granted with a crappy internet, 3 am rental, and being tired and in a hurry I agreed to their insurance (1 day rental)

Print out the terms and conditions of your CC insurance and you should be able to get away from getting their insurance
Old Dec 21, 18, 3:23 am

Phone call to pay by credit card in email

Originally Posted by parismama View Post

phone

Thank you! I've always paid at the counter on arrival in Mty. having made reservations online. Yesterday I got a phone call saying they were offering a 40-60% discount, and would send me the link so I could pay. The rate went from 2,000 something pesos to 7,000 something. I said I usually take some 80% coverage, and was told that's what this was. I asked why I would want to pay this way. She said it's the high season. She called back again. I felt bad for not trusting her, but didn't follow through. She said they were at a new center opened in Cancun.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: