Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (General Discussion) Thread [New Charge Policy, Eff. Feb 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (General Discussion) Thread [New Charge Policy, Eff. Feb 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by spades097
So because Never Lost put you on a toll road that somehow made it impossible for you to pay the toll on your own?
The Lee Roy Selmom Expressway has no cash collection any longer!!! They bill you by making a picture of your licence plate. If you have a rental car PlatePass kicks in automatically. Otherwise you would only pay 3$ or 2.50$ if you are registered with SunPass.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by caspritz78
The Lee Roy Selmom Expressway has no cash collection any longer!!! They bill you by making a picture of your licence plate. If you have a rental car PlatePass kicks in automatically. Otherwise you would only pay 3$ or 2.50$ if you are registered with SunPass.
Toll roads in Miami-Dade County (Miami, Miami Beach, Doral, etc) have also removed cash tool booths; their program is called "Toll by Plate". it works on the same basis as the Selmon expressway system.

In Broward and Palm Beach counties, the Florida Turnpike and the Sawgrass Expressway still provide cash toll booths.

More information:

http://floridasturnpike.com/all-elec...ling/index.cfm
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:20 pm

In '09 I did the FL driveout from MIA. Leaving the Hertz garage, I found a sign for I-95 at an intersection, turned left, and immediately found myself on a feeder expressway with a tollbooth. Back then it was $1 cash or Sunpass. I paid cash. Did the FL toll authorities completely eliminate paying cash as an option for the toll expressways exiting the MIA rental car area?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I recently received an invoice from PlatePass for $99.50 for a rental in August.

When I looked up the detail of the toll charges, they were all incorrect. The vehicle was nowhere near the location listed on the invoice. (Also, I rent a lot of cars from Hertz and never use PlatePass.....I have my own EZ-Pass that I use when necessary)

I called PlatePass and told them of their error. They asked me to document (gas or parking receipts) that the vehicle was not near the tolls in question. I did not incur parking charges during the rental and I did not retain my gas receipts.

I asked the representative to prove that the charges are accurate. He said that the burden of proof was on me.

So now we are in a Mexican standoff. Does anyone else on this board have a similar experience?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:43 pm

I've disputed them on charges via their customer service and was refunded. Do you have anything you can send? A food receipt that shows you in another location? Or make a PDF of the credit card charge of the missing gas receipt via your credit card company's website. The "burden of proof" argument seems a bit excessive on their part. If worse comes to worse dispute the charge with your credit card company and provide them with the documentation. The credit card company should seek the proof from PlatePass then as well.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Chairman US Airways, Diamond Hilton
Plate Pass...RIP OFF!!

I rented from Hertz for the first time. (It was on one of the discount sites so I should have known better!) Well, I got a bill from a September rental where they are charging me $14.30 for Plate Pass charges. Folks, this is the biggest scam going!! I had two tolls for $1.25 each for a four day rental. When I called Plate Pass I was told that I should have read the agreement! Well, touche' for them!! Who does? No one, of course! That's why they are able to do this! I rent from Enterprise, Avis, National, Budget, etc. Not one of these other companies has ever tried pulling this on me! I am wise to you Hertz!! And I am determined to spread the word!! Renter beware!!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

They were right, you should have read the agreement or asked before you used it. Not sure why you would think it would just be a pass through for the tolls, of course they will add a fee.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:15 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm sorry you feel 'scammed.' Any time I've used Hertz with Plate Pass, I've always been aware of the service fee from the locations (asking or a plate pass flyer or something; it's been a while) and I think it's even on the rental sleeve. I'm inherently suspicious of added fees, so I always double check.
The plate pass website states the following:

Hertz offers this service for $2.95 per rental day, plus incurred tolls at the cash toll rates, if PlatePass® is used at any time during the rental period. The maximum service fee (excluding tolls) is $14.75 per rental month. If a Hertz or Advantage rental car is rented for a multiple month period, the PlatePass® fees will only apply for the months that the PlatePass® service was actually used. For example, if a car is rented for a two-month period, and PlatePass® was only used during the first month, the fees will not apply to the second month.
source

Which is why I only use it on longer rentals if I'm taking a toll road frequently. I'm sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. Next time, just leave the transponder in the box and take the cash lanes.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Avis, Budget, National and Alamo all offer similar services IIRC
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
As others have noted, you should have made yourself aware of the T+Cs...

Last edited by dagrin; Nov 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm Reason: Edited for Relevance After Merge...Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
If you sign an agreement for an extra service without reading it, that's your own fault.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DCBob
If you sign an agreement for an extra service without reading it, that's your own fault.
While I completely agree that the OP should have read the agreement, he/she didn't sign an agreement for an "extra service" (i.e. it's not a separate agreement). It is buried in the T&C of the rental contract. All that said, there are usually signs all over the place in the Hertz office about the service. Also, as another poster mentioned, there couldn't possibly be an expectation that the OP was going to go thru tolls for free. Any rational person would realize that they were going to get charged for using the tolls, though possibly not as steeply as PlatePass charges (which has increased recently without adding any additional benefits).
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Medeski
Avis, Budget, National and Alamo all offer similar services IIRC
Yup, and I couldn't even find what exactly the service fee was for the Avis version of this in the rental office.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Update to my earlier post: I received another invoice today from PlatePass for toll charges that I did not incur.

I called customer service and again they told me that the charges seem valid (I am 100% certain that I did not incur the tolls).

I faxed them some credit card receipts and other invoices that generally indicate that I was based several hours away from the disputed tolls on the days in question. However, the documentation I provided is not dispositive, i.e., it does not prove that I did not incur the tolls.

This is getting frustrating......if they charge my credit card, I will dispute with the credit card company.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Had an issue with Platepass in Illinois. I normally never use PlatePass, always make sure that the device is shut in the case and not pulled out. In Nov. last year, rented a car for a day at ORD and to my surprise, I was billed a few weeks later for the usage of it. Complained to Hertz, but of course they insisted I did use it and upon checking PlatePass, it indicated that I used it at some exit near on my way back to the airport.

I am certain that I did not use it since even if I do not have the change, I would pay it online with Illinois Toll Road.

It is a small charge, but it is the principle that counts. I am wondering what is a way to prevent these miscellaneous charges when we as the renter am 100% certain we did not use it and will not be charged for using it.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.