Hertz Dubai Experience

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Upgrade in Dubai

Hi,

Anyone got any ideas how much an upgrade from a class C to an Audi A6 or A8 would be in Dubai?

Cheers
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:33 pm

Why wouldn't you just go to Hertz.com and look at the different rates for each vehicle class. Class C is Compact (or it could be Intermediate) I believe.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Because the upgrade rate is significantly less than the quoted price on hertz.com
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:07 pm

In my experience the daily upgrade rate is neglibly different then the standard rate difference. I wouldn't expect too much less then what you see online (in terms of variance between classes).
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:15 pm

Most international locations (Besides Europe & Australia) are licensee locations...franchises. Hertz doesn't have much control over these locations or their pricing. The best thing to do is to call the location directly.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:31 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
No Points/Credits for Rentals in Dubai/UAE?

Hi All, Just copmpleted a rental in Dubai (60 days) andf the drop-off location rep told me that Hertz (it's a franchise) do not participate in the #1 Gold programme here I have tried to make an on-line claim but am not hopeful. Anyone else with experience of this? Thanks.

Last edited by NoY; Apr 18, 2011 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:55 am

Hertz Free Day Issue - Dubai

I rented a car at DXB for 2 days earlier this month using the Worldwide Free Day Certs under PC 161184. I made my reservation by phone in the US and confirmed the certs were ok to use. I turned in the certs when I picked up the vehicle. On return I was told that the only possible remaining charges were for the Salik tolling system and these would be processed in a few days.

2 days later my AMEX shows a charge of $122. I call Hertz in the US and they have no access to the receipt. I call the Hertz at DXB and the agent says that since I rented for only 22 hours on the 2nd day I couldn't use a free day cert. She was quoting some terms on the back of the cert that dealt with extra hours. I was not bringing the car back an hour late...I used the majority of the 2nd day and would have been billed a full rental day under normal terms. My 2 free day certs should have covered the 1 day 22 hr. rental. It's also quite frightening that they changed this contract after I had left the facility and received a receipt. I have asked that Hertz sort this out and if not them than AMEX will have to I guess.

So....like all foreign countries I guess the lesson is to watch everything like a hawk even after the fact.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:10 am

Upgrades in United Arab Emirates (UAE)

Looking at renting at Hertz out of UAE... confirmed with them my one class upgrade as being a 5-Star member would apply.

The Hertz website shows the following:

B - Economy
C - Compact
D - Compact Elite
E - Standard
F - Premium
H - Luxury
I - Special (Luxury)
---
J - Standard SUV
K - Full Size SUV
L - Premium SUV

Now I want to get into the "F" Group, so logic would dictate I would book "E"... however Hertz UAE says I must book "J" to get into the F Group (which is more expensive than F on their site).

What's the best course of action... book the "E" and if worse comes to worst, call central reservations back in the US for them to resolve the situation?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Looking at renting at Hertz out of UAE... confirmed with them my one class upgrade as being a 5-Star member would apply.
5-star is NOT a guaranteed upgrade. If you want to be sure that you're driving an F, book an F.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Assuming you are a US member, I concur with docbert.

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/emembe...umGoldbenefits

Five Star Upgrade: "One-car-class subject to availability."

"applicable to U.S. Gold Plus Rewards members only."
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Ha! Goodluck. I'm a platinum and there was no recognition of it. Let alone, they have never heard of it. It's a franchised out Hertz and so they rly don't care. This was my experience in September of this year at dubai international. It might be different somewhere else
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by tahsir21
Ha! Goodluck. I'm a platinum and there was no recognition of it. Let alone, they have never heard of it. It's a franchised out Hertz and so they rly don't care. This was my experience in September of this year at dubai international. It might be different somewhere else
+1
A terrible franchise and Kafkaesque experience at Hertz DXB.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:49 am

Hertz Dubai Experience

Recently rented a car from Hertz at Dubai (DXB) Airport. It was probably the worst experience I've ever had with Hertz. I'm a Gold member and have never had any issues with their locations in the US, so when I was booking my rental car in Dubai, I had no second thoughts about renting from Hertz.

Upon arrival, its a bit of a trek to the parking garage where the Hertz counter is located from terminal 3, most of the journey is outdoor which means walking through really hot desert heat. The agent helping me was friendly, but there seemed to be an issue pulling up my reservation on their system. It took an hour before I was given the keys to the car. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.

As I loaded the car, another Hertz employee asked me to sign the paperwork showing previous damages to the vehicle. I know from experience with "Independent Licensee" locations to always be thorough with this document. So I did my own walk-around... which was being actively discouraged by the Hertz employee. He kept repeating, "I've already marked everything, everything is fine, don't worry"... trying to rush me through the process. I did find some scratches that were not noted by him and made sure they got onto the document.

Also, unfortunately, the lighting in the parking garage is pretty dim and I didn't notice some other minor scrapes that would later come back to bite me. I also didn't bother to look UNDERNEATH the vehicle, and I would highly regret this a few days later...

Anyways, the car drove fine for a few days.

When I returned, a Hertz employee came out and asked for my paperwork. He then proceeded to do the most thorough, nit-picky walkthrough of a car that I have ever seen in my life.

He then claimed that I damaged the vehicle pointing to some minor scratches on the vehicles body, and also some major scrapes underneath the front bumper which were not visible unless you crawled underneath the car... absurd. I assured him I didn't hit anything that could do that type of damage during my usage of the car. He then suggested maybe someone else drove the car during my rental period, which I re-assured him that no one else drove the car as I self-parked at my hotel.

After returning inside, the lady at the front desk told me that she'll pull up the previous renter's paperwork to see if the damage was noted then. Fine. After about 10 minutes she told me that their computers were "slow tonight" and that I could go along my way and she'll take the charges out of my account for the damage. No way lady. I didn't damage the car and I'm not letting you charge me for it.

So I waited. For another hour. Until finally another Hertz employee came along (the same guy that checked me in at arrival), punched some things into the computer, and told me that there was nothing to worry about, and that the damages were from a previous rental.

Again, glad I wasn't in a hurry.

I'm still watching my credit card like a hawk to make sure that nothing else is going to be charged.

Not sure what the deal is, or if they think they could've pulled a fast one on me, but the whole experience was just terrible. I wish Hertz corporate would do more to regulate their overseas independent licensees.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Must be local culture; I had a similar experience with Avis in DXB.
have you shared your experience with Hertz? If so what was their reaction?
Avis simply forwarded my complaint to their outstation, saying they (US) have nothing to do with it. Obviously no reply from Dubai. Wonder if Hertz acts same way, taking no responsibility over the level of service from their subsidiaries in other countries.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by luitje
Must be local culture; I had a similar experience with Avis in DXB.
have you shared your experience with Hertz? If so what was their reaction?
Avis simply forwarded my complaint to their outstation, saying they (US) have nothing to do with it. Obviously no reply from Dubai. Wonder if Hertz acts same way, taking no responsibility over the level of service from their subsidiaries in other countries.
I agree with you, I think it's something with the local culture. It was my first time in Dubai, and unfortunately, Hertz wasn't the only merchant I had issues with poor service and/or false charges onto my credit card for items that I never bought. Almost 75% of merchants that I gave business to during my stay had some sort of issue, including false charges days after I had already left Dubai. This ranged from my hotel, to the smallest item such as a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in DXB Airport on my way out (which btw, is also an "independent licensee").

Anyways back to Hertz, I haven't bothered to contact corporate about my experience. As in your situation, I expect they would simply forward to their independent licensee, who in return, would do nothing, or worse, tack on false charges onto my account that I really don't want to deal with.

It was a terrible experience, but at least they didn't end up charging me for more than I owe... so I'm kind of over it. Just wanted to post my experience here so that future visitors to DXB wishing to rent a car can hopefully avoid a similar situation. Leave no stone unturned during initial walkthrough and documentation...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.