Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Recent Experiences Renting from Hertz at San Juan (SJU) Puerto Rico?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Experiences Renting from Hertz at San Juan (SJU) Puerto Rico?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: Centurion, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, US Plat Pref, AA Gold, Hertz Plat, Avis Presidents Club
San juan. Recent experiences

Im headed to san juan with family for 4 day trip. Im avis presidents club and hertz platinum thru amex centurion. i would like to avoid a hassle as much as possible since traveling with two kids etc. I have reservations with both for next weekend but in reading it seems hertz san juan airport is a mess. Any recent experiences? The price is same.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
You are probably not going to find much (if any) in the way of reviews since they just moved into the new unified car rental garage at SJU. You're going to probably have to discount all previous reviews, too. http://newsismybusiness.com/budget-central-rental/

Last edited by CalItalian; Aug 3, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Centurion, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, US Plat Pref, AA Gold, Hertz Plat, Avis Presidents Club
Fwiw hertz was great. They send someone to baggage claim to get me but our luggage came out first and we left before he got there. When got to hertz in garage a new ford fusion was in slot 2. Two reps started to help me load luggage when kids said "dad can we get a jeep?" I asked and they brought around a 4 dr wrangler with 5k miles. Just back from dinner and took ttops off. been fun so far!!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:21 pm

I will say when I was in SJU about 8 years ago, the airport is a dump and the cab drivers only speak green.

~JS
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:28 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
And in the 8 years since then, they've outsourced the management of the airport, done a TON of improvements, cleaned it up, brought in the new flights, and are doing a lot of construction.

But the cab drivers still only speak green. LIKE IN EVERY OTHER PLACE ON THE PLANET.

Now my question for you - what relevance does your comment have to this thread?

Also - OP, Congrats on the Jeep 4 door Wrangler. It's the only Wrangler i like right now, and is on my short list of cars to replace my old 4Runner with.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Had a rental this weekend. I didn't know it was going to be a Gold board so that was a nice surprise. Was able to walk right up to the car. Was given a Yaris, I didn't really care because I just was literally driving to Dorado, the grocery and back for the weekend but I thought for PC should have got something better.

My return was quick and easy.

However, a friend with us for the birthday weekend had also rented a car and went back a few hours early. Found out my camera was still in the glove box. He was already in the terminal by the time we realized. He tried calling them, I tried calling them as it was about 2 hours before I would be back there. No numbers were working, just kept disconnecting. Called a general number and they tried to transfer me and got disconnected.
After returning the car the woman and the gold desk essentially told me that they had the camera but my friend would have to email or call them because we couldn't prove it was mine. I said your phone number isn't working first of all and showed her and I said that I have a picture of his rental agreement text to me (from the ph# on his file), you can look at the photos on the camera and see the 4 of us left there are in the photos on it...and I even have other photos of me WITH the camera.
She said she would tell the manager and he would come talk to us. About 10 min later he showed up and just handed me the camera.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Any recent experiences?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by zzzZZZzzz33
Since I will be renting in SJU in 2 months: is one of the other rental car companies there significantly better than Hertz?
Looks like this went unanswered. Maybe a moderator can merge with this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...periences.html
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Looks like this went unanswered. Maybe a moderator can merge with this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...periences.html
Merged.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Any recent experiences?

I'm also in the boat of needing to rent from someone at SJU in December. Anyone with recent experience there?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AceReport
I'm also in the boat of needing to rent from someone at SJU in December. Anyone with recent experience there?
I rented in late October. Horrible. The car I booked wasn't at the airport when I arrived nor was my name on the board. They were out of cars. Given a piece of crap. Switched to the Jeep Wrangler I booked the following day. I called the airport branch twice and called Hertz once. Each time I asked to speak to the regional Hertz manager. I was assured the manager would call. The manager never did. When I went to return it I again insisted on speaking to the manager only to be told no manager was on available. Whatever. It took them 3 weeks to close my rental. I never did hear from the manager.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

Any more recent experiences? SJU rentals seem like a hit or miss
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:17 am

Hi all - any recent experiences? Is the pickup/dropoff in, or walkable, from the terminal? Does this location have PC?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Avis Premium Plus
They are within walking distance from the terminal, but they don't have UC out there and I found their selection, including the upgrades to be pretty awful, I typically rent from National when I go to SJU, as they have EC out there and a decent car selection. In my experience, if you're EE, they'll jut let you pick any car you want out of the lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.