Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SMF (Sacramento); What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car

Anyone have a recent experience with Hertz at SMF ?

Search shows they are on the 'worst Hertz stations' thread for 2006

I want a new/reliable Full/Premium for Aug 23-31 - Hertz is quoting $100-200 over other firms, so I'm taking a second look at options (haven't used another rental company in about 2 yrs, but have some minor status at National/Avis via AMEX Plat card)

Last edited by 4aks; Jun 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:20 pm

Personally haven't been at SMF, but in general, I wouldn't pay $100-$200 more for Hertz over another major firm (Would personally avoid smaller firms like Fox, but that's just me. Hertz doesn't really have anything special to offer over Avis, National, etc in terms of cars aside from the dream collection. Service is definitely YMMV situation depending on location & employee. I say go for Avis or National if they are $100-$200 cheaper for the same period of time.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 4:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've had two or three rentals at SMF this year. I have no complaints; it's a smaller station located in the consolidated rental car center at the airport. I've been satisfied with the cars I've been assigned as far as low mileage and working condition. The employees I've dealt with have been fine as well.

That being said, I wouldn't pay a premium to use them over National or Avis either.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:04 pm

SMF - Sacramento experiences?

I rent almost weekly with this location, really no issues to report. The gold service is convenient here too.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:25 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
I had a nice choice of cars at SMF last week. There were both an Infiniti coupe (Q60 sport, what I took), and an Infiniti sedan, plus a Jag sedan (suspect XF) and then the standard other choices of full size cars.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
bump...any recent experiences at SMF? I'll be there soon for the first time in a few years and deciding between Hertz and National (have similar rental price point).
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by mctrees02
bump...any recent experiences at SMF? I'll be there soon for the first time in a few years and deciding between Hertz and National (have similar rental price point).
No, but I'm heading there in 10 days or so, and I'm curious how your experience was.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:54 pm

I rented at Hertz SMF earlier this month. Overall, no complaints about the experience. The common shuttles from the terminals to the rental car lots ran well enough. When we arrived at the lot, the Gold aisle was empty, so the attendant directed me to the Five Star aisle. I missed a Mustang convertible by about 30 seconds (and rued it the rest of the week). After that, the remaining choices in the aisle were nice but unremarkable -- a lot of larger sedans and small SUVs. As customers took cars off the aisle, the staff was proactive in bringing new cars in. I hung out for a few minutes to see if anything exciting would make an appearance. No luck on that front, but we ended up with a new AWD Nissan Rogue with just north of 600 miles on the odometer. Return was quick and easy.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Had a rental over the weekend at Hertz SMF.

Airport-ran shuttle bus (one from each terminal) takes you over to consolidated rental car center, about a 3-5 min ride. All the standard CS desks are inside 1 single building for the various rental companies.

With PC, didn't even walk into the building and just went right to the Hertz lot which is directly to the left if you are looking at the building from the front area.There is a small gate you can walk thru and that takes you to Hertz PC area and the big board of names.

Had a "luxury" car reserved, site showed Chrysler 300 or similar, on points - 1500 for 2 days. Cash rates were reasonable, but I didn't for-see a use for hertz points in our immediate future besides this so we burned em.

Name was not on board at arrival time, and we were on time with the reservation. Agent out on the lot said they were finishing cleaning our car (a BMW) or we could take an Infiniti sedan that was parked in reserved.
I saw a Mustang GT Convertible in reserved as well, asked if we could take that instead, and that was OK with them. So we were on I-5 in the 5.0 GT in no time.

PC lane had 6 vehicles - a pickup, some mid-size SUV's, and a few base mustangs.
5* and Gold had a handful of sedans.

The 5.0 was wicked fast and it was a fun car to bop around Sacramento and Roseville for the weekend.
glostix, Ordpc and Kore like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:48 pm

Another weekend rental @ SMF.

Arrived late Thursday evening, due to a inbound delay on WN.

Had points to burn before they expired for our 3 day reservation.... and for some reason "luxury" was the same points cost at "full size" - so I booked the luxury to see if that would get us anything special.
We had a car seat rental on the reservation as well, and that seemed to trigger a message to "See desk". Which with a line 5 people deep and 1 agent working was not an attractive situation.

I asked the lot attendant, he checked his computer real quick and saw my reservation and PC status. No need to wait inside, and I could take the Genesis (couldn't tell if it was G70 or G80, was a black car at night!) they had assigned me or something from PC.
Well the Genesis looked a bit small for all our bags and car seat addendum, so I went for the Ford Explorer in PC. Was XLT trim with 18K miles and active siriusXM and Florida plates!. While we were debating which size car seat would fit our kiddo, I missed out on grabbing an Limited trim Ford Explorer from PC which did look a fair bit sharper to the eye.

There was a pickup, a Chevy Impala, and I think 1 other sedan in PC. Lots of cars in the reserved areas though.... and some decent ones from the quick glance as we pulled out.

All in all, for $60 out of pocket for taxes and car seat rental fee - hard to beat that deal for a 3 day rental in a good sized SUV.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:24 pm

Another weekend rental @ SMF.

Friday pickup around 1pm.

Had a Tesla Model 3 Extended Range (E8) on reserve @ a killer rate. Plan was to check out PC selection and if nothing exciting was there, fall back on the Tesla.

Well PC was a sea of MEH.... a bunch of 4 door sedans and small crossover / SUV's... nothing remotely exciting or of any substantive size. Premium upgrade area had a nice looking Toyota Avalon So back to the Tesla we went.

Was @ 77% charge on pickup and only took my college educated brain 5 minutes to figure out how to start the thing! Once we got that solved, it was good. Fun to drive, missed the CarPlay though.

Of note, they only had 1 child size car seat in the lockers.... and I took it. So I was a little worried about that for future rentals - If we were to arrive and they don't have one? I guess they might get one from a sister company on site?
This is compared to our rental in Dec 22, when they had 4 or 5 of each respective size of car and booster seats in the locker. Thus, I was not worried about availability for this visit until I opened the locker.

Return was easy enough Sunday afternoon. Receipt came thru 8 minutes later via email.

My other gripe with SMF car rentals is the shuttles from the terminal to the center. Always seems like I am waiting for at least 15-20 minutes for it to show up at baggage claim, while the economy lot busses come and go with great frequency.
Maybe I am impatient but there were a solid dozen of us waiting there Friday afternoon for a ride with no bus in sight for a while.
Kore and oftech like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:20 am

Does anyone have any experience renting a Model Y or any Tesla from the Sacramento (SMF) Airport location? What can I expect in terms of features/mileage on the Model Y's? Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 3, 2023 at 6:25 pm Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old May 8, 2023, 7:23 am

MaxVerstappen See my report from above, March 2023 visit.

I did see a Model Y parked next to the Model 3 we rented. I imagine it will be the same. All Teslas were parked in reserved spots near the check out booth by PC area.
Old May 14, 2023, 6:06 pm

Noticed on my reservations at this airport the facility fee went from $10 to $40 recently
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:48 pm

Does anyone know if as a first time Hertz member (Five Star) if you can skip the counter at SMF and have the credit card and license checked at the gate or do you have to go to the counter? Also is there anything different to expect with a one way rental? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.